• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing tc venture predator.308 or savage10 predator.243

tjrumseyjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
N.Y.S.
hey guys i am thinking of starting a new hunting rig for shooting deer and varmints, but cant decide on the rifle or the caliber,does the .243 have the knockdown power for shooting deer. or do i have to worry about following a blood trail for 300 yrds.

Re: tc venture predator.308 or savage10 predator.243

shot placement is key, i took a guy out last yr and saw him drop a nice bull elk from 200M DRT with his 243. I prefer the 308 IMHO.

well thanks for the info as for the .243 i planned on running federal premium barns triple shock x rounds threw it.

A .243 IMO is a really good call for a deer/coyote rifle. It will do both well..

the other thing is range, i can get out to about 400yrds. on deer where i hunt, or should i limit my shots to 200yrds. or less.

+ 1 on .243. Killed a bunch when I was a kid with 100gr core lokts. Wish I had another just like it. .308 is a great round as well you really can't go wrong.

The .243 round should be fine at 400 yards if you are confident in the shots you are taking.

With that being said, if I see a deer at 400 yards I'll shoot it with my .223 because I'm confident out to 800 with it.
smile.gif

You'll have no problem at all with the .243 on deer as described. Killed a bunch with a .243 and old style Rem Core Lokts. The TSXs will take care of most critters no problem. Of course, shot placement is key.

I'm a Savage and a .308 fan, but I've seen first hand that a .243 is a tremendously accurate round with plenty of punch out to 250 yds or so with the right ammo. I wish I had one for my little one's first season, instead of reduced load Amaxes in my .308 Marlin.

And about the TC Venture ... I have shot one once or twice and seen plenty more on the range. I have not seen one yet that wouldn't shoot lights out with cheap Walmart ammo. In fact, it is probably the most accurate sporter barreled rifle I have ever seen. Even my shakey ass put three 150gr Federal PShoks under an inch with a one hour old TC Venture in 7mm mag. The guy didn't even clean the barrel ... just took it straight to the range with a box of Wally World Federals and started blasting. Pretty effing impressive.

If I had to choose between a Savage .243 Predator and a TC Venture in .243 I would probably come home with whatever was cheaper that day. It's a win-win thang. Both will likley be awesome shooters.