• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting calibers and barrel life: 223 vs 243 vs 22-250

StocknRock

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2024
California
I am going through hunters ed and considering caliber

Before MISTAKINGLY THINKING 308 WAS A GOOD IDEA, decided to do some research and ask various places

Im planning to go coyote hunting this fall but stuck with what caliber to choose

223 vs 243 vs 22-250

Ammo availability: 223 🎯, then 243, then 22-250

Power: 243 can be used up to elk and as low as coyotes around 30-40lbs, 22-250 and 223 being similar

Distance/speed: 22-250 being as fast as it is, while ballistically similar to 223, having much less drop off compared to 223, and going slightly faster, then 223, then 243

If the basic options were a savage, ruger, howa, or remington, what would you choose for off the shelf for a newbie? Im not looking to build nor spend so much when I need to get an optic and good rings in order as well.

Of these calibers what can you tell me about them?

also unrelated but are there any 220 swift users here?

There are no coyotes where I live and hunt, so I guess take this with a grain of salt.

.223 Rem is readily available pretty much anywhere, inexpensive to shoot, has insignificant recoil and does what it needs to do. That would be my suggestion for coyote and it's an excellent beginner's cartridge. Barrel life is very good and works very well with a suppressor.

The .243 is based on the .308 Win case and is just as loud. Since it is more overbore (smaller diameter bullet compared to case capacity) it uses slower burning powders and will have less barrel life compared to a .308. Considerably more recoil than a .223.

The .22-250 has an even smaller bullet compared to comparable case capacity. Shoot that barrel hot at the range a few times and you will have shortened its life span considerably - it is know for quite poor barrel life. The bullet you fire is the same as in the .223 Rem but it gets a bit more speed. Do you really need those extra fps for your hunting?

Practice is what you need, and a .223 Rem provides a lot of bang for the buck, quite literally. Both in terms of ammunition costs and barrel life.

Also, taking long shots during hunting might seem like a cool thing but getting closer to the animal is the bigger challenge. Or calling it, getting it to come close to you. You don't get any extra points for taking long shots when hunting - take the secure shorter range shot instead.

The .220 Swift is not a very common cartridge and a highly specialized one at that. I wouldn't recommend it for a first time hunter and shooter. The .22-250 does almost the same thing but is far more common.

I have a custom built .223 Rem in 1:9 twist for hunting fox and geese. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other calibers you mentioned. Or any other caliber, period.

The above is just my opinion, obviously. I'm sure others will argue the benefits of the .22-250 or .243 ("MOAR DEATH", OK, how dead can that coyote possibly get? ;)).

Get a .308 Win or a 6.5 Creedmoor for deer and other larger animals.

I am going through hunters ed and considering caliber

Before MISTAKINGLY THINKING 308 WAS A GOOD IDEA, decided to do some research and ask various places

Im planning to go coyote hunting this fall but stuck with what caliber to choose

223 vs 243 vs 22-250

Ammo availability: 223 🎯, then 243, then 22-250

Power: 243 can be used up to elk and as low as coyotes around 30-40lbs, 22-250 and 223 being similar

Distance/speed: 22-250 being as fast as it is, while ballistically similar to 223, having much less drop off compared to 223, and going slightly faster, then 223, then 243

If the basic options were a savage, ruger, howa, or remington, what would you choose for off the shelf for a newbie? Im not looking to build nor spend so much when I need to get an optic and good rings in order as well.

Of these calibers what can you tell me about them?

also unrelated but are there any 220 swift users here?
Barrel life ought to be one of your least concerns.

There are a lot of factors we need to know like the range you'll most likely be hunting? Are you calling coyotes in so a closer shot (100-300 yard) is more likely? Do you already have a rangefinder? Are you planning of keeping the pelts. I was just out coyote hunting yesterday. I hunt BLM, desert, open range in Eastern Oregon. I spotted a coyote running through a herd of cattle on the open range. Passed on the shot because I didn't feel that the rangefinder was giving me an accurate read once it cleared the herd. I spotted two more but couldn't get a reading off them or the dirt around them. I use an AR15 loaded with 75gr ELDMs for 0-500 yards, my 260 AI for out to a mile. I might switch to my 7mm Rem Mag for the longer shots. I am concerned with barrel because I shot as much as I can. I confirm my shots of all my rigs at various ranges and in different wind/ weather conditions. Any of the cartridges you mentioned will work especially if you aren't too concerned with pelts. Pick one that fits the range you will be hunting and get a good set of binos for scanning and a rangefinder. Hand calls are cheap and you can use them until you decide to get an electronic caller.

There are no coyotes where I live and hunt, so I guess take this with a grain of salt.

.223 Rem is readily available pretty much anywhere, inexpensive to shoot, has insignificant recoil and does what it needs to do. That would be my suggestion for coyote and it's an excellent beginner's cartridge. Barrel life is very good and works very well with a suppressor.

The .243 is based on the .308 Win case and is just as loud. Since it is more overbore (smaller diameter bullet compared to case capacity) it uses slower burning powders and will have less barrel life compared to a .308. Considerably more recoil than a .223.

The .22-250 has an even smaller bullet compared to comparable case capacity. Shoot that barrel hot at the range a few times and you will have shortened its life span considerably - it is know for quite poor barrel life. The bullet you fire is the same as in the .223 Rem but it gets a bit more speed. Do you really need those extra fps for your hunting?

Practice is what you need, and a .223 Rem provides a lot of bang for the buck, quite literally. Both in terms of ammunition costs and barrel life.

Also, taking long shots during hunting might seem like a cool thing but getting closer to the animal is the bigger challenge. Or calling it, getting it to come close to you. You don't get any extra points for taking long shots when hunting - take the secure shorter range shot instead.

The .220 Swift is not a very common cartridge and a highly specialized one at that. I wouldn't recommend it for a first time hunter and shooter. The .22-250 does almost the same thing but is far more common.

I have a custom built .223 Rem in 1:9 twist for hunting fox and geese. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other calibers you mentioned. Or any other caliber, period.

The above is just my opinion, obviously. I'm sure others will argue the benefits of the .22-250 or .243 ("MOAR DEATH", OK, how dead can that coyote possibly get? ;)).

My ONLY gripe would be finding lead free 223. Only option is some sierra varmint and barnes, in terms if readily available. But for range, ABSOLUTELY

If you wanna hear “moar death” I thought a 308 would have been good idea for duo purpose varmints and deer in the future lol

Ive learned since that day (2 days ago)

There are a lot of factors we need to know like the range you'll most likely be hunting? Are you calling coyotes in so a closer shot (100-300 yard) is more likely? Do you already have a rangefinder? Are you planning of keeping the pelts. I was just out coyote hunting yesterday. I hunt BLM, desert, open range in Eastern Oregon. I spotted a coyote running through a herd of cattle on the open range. Passed on the shot because I didn't feel that the rangefinder was giving me an accurate read once it cleared the herd. I spotted two more but couldn't get a reading off them or the dirt around them. I use an AR15 loaded with 75gr ELDMs for 0-500 yards, my 260 AI for out to a mile. I might switch to my 7mm Rem Mag for the longer shots. I am concerned with barrel because I shot as much as I can. I confirm my shots of all my rigs at various ranges and in different wind/ weather conditions. Any of the cartridges you mentioned will work especially if you aren't too concerned with pelts. Pick one that fits the range you will be hunting and get a good set of binos for scanning and a rangefinder. Hand calls are cheap and you can use them until you decide to get an electronic caller.
Ive learned how much decent binos matter, range finder Im going down a rabbit hole and dont feel justified spending… 3-$500 yet

Tried the $20 harbor freight ones, not bad… but definitely makes my head spin once I stop looking through it

Ive learned how much decent binos matter, range finder Im going down a rabbit hole and dont feel justified spending… 3-$500 yet

Tried the $20 harbor freight ones, not bad… but definitely makes my head spin once I stop looking through it
I'd get the binos first, there are some cheap rangefinders available. Or do it old school and map out your area and make notes of the distances prior to shooting. Also I forgot about CA lead free requirements. I think I'd go larger bore and use light monos going fast out to 500 yards.

It's been their law for quite awhile now. I posted on the dangers of this law going across the nation with some push back on here. Imagine a complete lead bullet ban across the nation and what that would do to ammo prices. IMO you can kiss 2A rights goodbye if that happens.

Reactions: Modoc
I posted on the dangers of this law going across the nation with some push back on here.

You west coasters always try that alarmist shit. Us in the midwest don't care. It hasn't happened here because we mind our government and keep it at heel.

coming soon to a State near you?

coming soon to a State near you?

Yeah it's been in the works for decades. People are pretty ignorant to think it can't happen where they are at. California used to be a red state with a huge firearms industry there.

Reactions: Generations
OP: Any of your three cartridge options are decent at killing yotes. The flatter trajectory of the .243 and .22-250 will extend your Point Blank Range (basically how far you can shoot without holding over or dialing in elevation to make a hit) over the .223 for sure. I've also personally found that coyotes have a better chance at running off a little ways with a boiler room hit with a .223 once the shot distance starts to exceed 250 yards.

Don't worry about barrel life. The expense of ammo for lead free is going to far outweigh the cost of getting a new tube put on your rifle when the old one let's go...even if it is 1,200 rounds.

.243 would be the only option that you listed that I would take anywhere for deer hunting. I've killed some BIG hogs with the .223, far larger than any whitetail buck...but I wouldn't blindly recommend that cartridge for deer hunting. Shot placement and bullet construction are the two most important factors. However, a little extra horsepower behind the bullet can help when you screw up and don't place a bullet perfectly.

Reactions: xsn10s
The OP mentioned elk also. Taking that into account along with mono bullets being required I'd lean more towards a 308 Win. Just use whatever ammo you're going to hunt elk with for yotes, deer, elk. Get a good set of binos, you'll you them more than anything while hunting. Use hand calls and try to get them inside 300 yards. 200 yards would be better.

Gonna possibly kick an ant pile here but I don't know who told you 308 is a bad idea. Out to 600 yards it'll hold its own ballistically with a 6.5 creedmoor and I don't know to many guys pushing 180s out of a creedmoor.

Reactions: xsn10s
To the OP where are you located in California? Are you going to focus purely on hunting coyotes? I'm starting to wonder if you should concentrate on a 0-200 yard shot. If so then you could get by with a moderately price rifle/ scope and get an electronic caller to hunt with.

Yeah the claim is the condors are getting lead poisoning from eating game that was wounded with lead bullets or some such bullshit.
California it was condors. Now the big push is for all raptors. Eagles came into play a while ago. And there are even some so called hunting groups and manufactures jumping on board.

Around here 243 had been thought of as a "youth deer" cartridge for decades, I really would not worry too much about recoil unless the rifle is very light weight.

22-250 is IMHO on life support. This is one of the older cartridges that IMHO I would stay away from unless I reload them myself. You are likely to have issues finding it over your other two choices.

223, is in the running, one person talked about the distances and that is what I would use to swing my decision. If you are going much past 100 yards I would want something with a little more then 223. It will work, but once you get out there your chances of DRT will go down, and a marginal shot will only bring that number down.

Personally I would go with the 243. It can hit very hard and will haul the mail quite quickly. Don't worry about the barrel life, in a normal hunting type deal this is a non issue.

Reactions: Charlie112
As to the lead bullets, yea and soon it will be plastic shotgun hulls.

If I was starting over from scratch, I would get a .22 LR, .223, .308, and 12 gauge as the four corners of my gun safe. Most hunters will never need anything more. That's four good cartridges that should always be available and takes care of all likely roles.

If you live out West or hunt in wide open spaces, then consider one other rifle that will perform better than a .308 at long range. My pick would be the 7mm Remington Magnum.

If you are just looking for an all around rifle, then any rifle between .243 and 8mm Mauser will do the same basic things. Barring the magnum calibers, I don't see much difference at practical hunting ranges.

Barrel life is not a real consideration for a normal hunting rifle. For a .220 Swift or .22-250, the barrel is just ammunition.

Reactions: lariat and Im2bent
In the OP, I saw no mention of handloading or any home-cooked recipe. I know of a person who hunts yotes with 6 mm ARC. But often, people are handloading to get consistent performance.

I agree that the .223 would be a good bet. As for barrel life, it is what it is. The longest barrel life is when you don't shoot.

OTOH, I used to watch videos from a YT channel called "Chuckin'." He was shooting woodchucks and mostly did it with the .22-250. But he has used other rounds, including 6.5 CM.

Depends on the job. I know of someone who has hunted deer with a .223 (not a personal friend) and the deer got very dead. If I were going to hunt anything up to deer of the calibers you mentioned, it would be .243. .243 also happens to be the minimum center fire rifle cartridge that you can use on public hunting land in my state.

Reactions: Im2bent
For a hunting rifle, I don't even factor in barrel life, as I'm likely never going to shoot that barrel out. It's a hunting rifle. I'll put in maybe 100 rounds to initially setup the rifle and find holds, then maybe 10 rounds every other month to validate sighting, then whatever rounds I expend shooting the target animal.

If I'm throwing rounds down range to practice, it's going to be with a competition/home defense rifle, not my hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112
10 rounds every other month to validate sighting? I have rifles that I haven’t shot in years that I would happily, and with every confidence, take out and shoot a deer. Of course, I do have a stockpile of validated ammunition and range cards for those rifles…

10 rounds every other month to validate sighting? I have rifles that I haven’t shot in years that I would happily, and with every confidence, take out and shoot a deer. Of course, I do have a stockpile of validated ammunition and range cards for those rifles…
I can be shooting in 5 minutes from my couch. It's not a big deal to just run through the rifles 6 times a year. Makes for a fun day of shooting things I don't normally shoot.

Reactions: Ronws
I can be shooting in 5 minutes from my couch. It's not a big deal to just run through the rifles 6 times a year. Makes for a fun day of shooting things I don't normally shoot.
I dry fire at oven knobs and a water jug sitting on the stove top. To be fair, those knobs were old and using resources that the younger knobs could use.

Reactions: FieldGaugeFailure
I dry fire at oven knobs and a water jug sitting on the stove top. To be fair, those knobs were old and using resources that the younger knobs could use.
Fridge magnets here for dry fire, as by my subtitle. They had it coming. I have a whole little box setup with some old rags to dampen the fall of magazines during changes, when I'm doing simulated El Presidente drills on a magnet, a potted plant, and a bottle of dish soap.

Reactions: Ronws