• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teach me about shorter barrel 50BMG rifles (18-24" length)

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
Teach me about shorter barrel 50BMG rifles (18-24" length).

Can anyone give me some estimates on the muzzle velocity of a 50BMG bolt action rifle with an 18-24" barrel? Would these be effective 1000 yard target rifles? The longest range I have access to is 600 yards now and they limit caliber to .35 and under. There is talk about a 1000 yard range opening up within an hour of me where I could possibly shoot the 50BMG round. If 1000 yards is my range limit would a shorter barrel 50 BMG be a good option?

(Already have a 27" .338 LM - looking for justification to purchase a shorter barrel .50)

Last edited:
Man, I don't recommend too short of a 50 barrel due to the sheer brutality of the concussion to the shooter, and those around you. A few inches can make a difference as the "cone" of concussion spread is narrower and closer to your face. Had the chance to shoot a custom 20" short barreled 50 and it was like a donkey punch to the face. Cleaned out the sinuses instantly and gave me a major headache. The flame out of the muzzle was ridiculous, like a firing breathing dragon that totally lit up the place. You may want to take into account the exposure to the concussion over time too, like detached retinas, etc. (ask any Artillery jockey about this). The only thing that tamed the flame and shock of it was to leave the Elite Iron suppressor on it at all times.

The only thing that tamed the flame and shock of it was to leave the Elite Iron suppressor on it at all times.

Wonder how long that suppressor will survive that abuse as most companies state "for barrels at least x inches in length" for their suppressors.

As to the OP's question, having a .50 with a short barrel defeats the purpose and adds a lot of drawbacks. A .50 with a 20" barrel will probably be out-performed by many smaller calibers out to 1k because the .50 won't be able to get up to velocity and a lot of the powder will be burning still as the round leaves the barrel. My guess is you would end up with a heavy impractical inefficient rifle that is abusive to shoot and obnoxious to others.

Short .50s are good for fighting on Haifa Street or going to your local range and making small explosions.

I chopped a 34" 1-15" twist barrel to 20"s on a 50bmg shell holder action I had lying around.I built it for short range bear/deer hunting,but it shoots good out to 400 yds with the 647 barnes HP and the faster H50 or WC860 powders.I didn't test it past 400 yds.The muzzle blast isn't that bad. Muzzle velocity hovers around 2,450 fps.I wouldn't recommend it for 1k shooting.The puny calibers are a lot more accurate with shorter barrels at that range.Just the nature of the beast.

Short .50 BMG's are good for showing why longer .50 BMG's are the better way to go ;)

0_0_0_0_205_154_csupload_43473908_large.jpg

Ah hunting, I'd forgotten that. A local smith here in NZ makes .50BMG hunting rifles with 20" barrels.