• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Technique for shooting off RRS Anvil-30 with TFCT-34 tripod

Nap Mag

The Activity
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2017
How do you all adjust the tension on the Anvil-30? Do you loosen it and adjust until you center the reticle and then clamp it down to full tension? I am finding it hard to get my point of aim down exactly where I want it this way.

Or do you keep the tension lever partially loose and rely on your body position to keep it steady?

If fully locked in place, do you even need to load into the tripod or pull the buttstock into the shoulder pocket?

Thanks.

I use the Leveling Base, but I put light to moderate tension on the handle and steer the gun where I need it. It's not the same as your ball head, but maybe similar enough. You will need more tension because ball heads will be "floppy" due to their height above the pivot point.

Keep the tension snug until you're lined up, lock it down.

If you can't get the rifle steady enough to lock it down on Target it's time to revisit some fundamentals and find some training.

Usually, the tensioning will raise your POA about a 1/2 mil from light to locked tension.

you’ll find less increase if you don’t tension so much

I use a Cruxord bowl mount, so a little different. But, I keep enough tension that I can let go of my gun and it not shift position, while still being able to adjust it with deliberate movement.

I have the anvil-30 and shooting off a tripod is new to me, I was fully locking down and not getting a good balance vertically after it being locked due to the balance point of the gun on the mount. If I set the balance point perfectly I then might have issues with mag insertion.

I have since started to use my non-shooting hand to adjust the tension lever as I am aiming and put just enough pressure to hold on target to break the shot on my natural respatory pause. I do not fully lock, and my accuracy increased quite a bit.

Not sure if this is reccomended or not, as stated shooting off a tripod is relatively new, to a relatively new shooter.

Reactions: Austinjunks