• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teenager shot by cops

Re: Teenager shot by cops

I believe the cops were justified as well, but i would agree with the statement in the article that 3 shots was too much, it should have only taken one shot to take him down.

I agree. In this day an time it is pretty easy to get yourself killed. Just turn down the wrong street or smart off to the wrong person. One way to live to old age is to always obey the commands issued by a law enforcement officer. A little cooperation goes a long way toward surviving the encounter. That should be lesson one given to children by their parents. Lesson two should be physics. Example, Junior if you step in front of a moving car even though you have the right of way, you will still be dead. It is a shame the little fellow didn't have the basic common sense to obey the officers. One of my favorite sayings is, Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. Just saying.

Are you high? Im pressing the bang switch until im satisfied that the BG is unable to represent any threat. Would it make the people bitching about excessive force feel better if they had tazed what turned out to be a real weapon holder resulting in an injury/ death to the LEO? Wait, no need to answer that. I feel for the LEO mostly in this as he will carry this burden to the grave. Let this be a lesson to all shithead kids that like to tote airsoft pistolas and then not listen to LE. This kid paid the ultimate price for bad judgement paired with a disrespect for law enforcement.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the cops were justified as well, but i would agree with the statement in the article that 3 shots was too much, it should have only taken one shot to take him down. </div></div>

Replying to rusty 815,

The overall sadness of this story makes your assessment of the number of rounds being fired seem correct. However I must respectfully disagree. In my humble opinion, once the decision to use lethal force has been made it should be delivered rapidly and in quantity certain to result in your survival. No sense in a justifiable shooting resulting in a tie.

There were three cops. I would imagine that they did not discuss which one of them would fire the one shot to disable the perp. I imagine that all three fired one shot.
Monday morning quarterbacking. The anti gun crwd will have a field day with this.

I know Im gruff on these type subjects. I have kids of my own. Id hate for my kid to be killed in any way, let alone being in this situation. On the other hand, the article says the officers gave the kid many opportunities to put the gun down. He chose the result. I know the parents and all the tree huggers will say he was a good little boy and he may have been. He shorted out and it cost him his life. We cant go back and look at his mental state. We cant see what was going on in his home or school life. These kids these days short out all the time. They kill themselves daily. This one chose to have suicide by cop. Worst part in my opinion is the cops have to live with the situation and they didnt have a choice. They delt with a problem they get paid to deal with. They dont know the history of the kid and his behavior. They have to react to what they see in the gun sights. Kid or no Kid, pellet gun or real gun, they have to react. They did their job according to what they saw and the training they received. In my opinion, it was justified and the kid got what he wanted. Case closed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the cops were justified as well, but i would agree with the statement in the article that 3 shots was too much, it should have only taken one shot to take him down.</div></div>

So if he would have had a real pistol would that change your mind? Bullets are not some prescription that come with instructions that tell you based on height, weight, BC, age, and gender how many rounds it will take to neutralize a threat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the cops were justified as well, but i would agree with the statement in the article that 3 shots was too much, it should have only taken one shot to take him down.</div></div>

Are you always this ignorant?

Do you have your concealed carry permit? I'm guessing you don't because one of the things that was taught in the class I took was that you keep shooting until you feel the threat has been neutralized; be it one shot, three shots, or five.

As the question was already asked, what would've happened had they fired only one shot to take him down, the gun turned out to be real, and he squeezed off a couple rounds into the officers on scene? Then you'd be asking why they only fired a single shot.

C'mon man, use your head.

I can tell you a true story that happened to me. When I first became an Officer I worked in a different jurisdiction and deptartment than I do now and it was a tough area to work in. Long story short I and another officer responded to a report of a tennager brandishing a handgun. We locate said tennager he was suprised when he started to reach inside his coat pocket and was put a gun point. This young man thankfully listened and complied with all commands. He had an Air Soft version of a H&K USP that he had taken and broke off the orange safety tip. He was carrying becasue he was getting bullied walking home from the school bus and wanted to show that he was not to be messed with. One of the really messed up things is that one of the officers carried that kind of duty weapon in a .40 S&W and that toy airsoft gun fit right in his retention holster as good as the real thing, it ejected the magizine the same and even the slide racked back and the safety/decocker worked. I was very thankfull that things did not turn out bad. While at the same Dept. antoher issue arose this time some idiots were waivng a hand gun at passing cars. This time it was another airsoft but thie was a version of a Walther P99 and they did the same thing they broke of the orange tip and especially in a dark area looked mighty damn real. Also thankfully they were in thier yard when officers got to them and had tossed the airsoft guns by the tree in the front yard and did not do anything else stupid and listened to what they were told to do. Until its discovered that one officer shot 3 times or all officers shot one round its just plain sad. I can take a good guess that neither officer(s) wanted to shoot that boy. Also keep something in mind there is no such thing as an instant stop with a human and being shot with a handgun, and standard issue 9, 40 or .45 duty ammo hollow points unless its a head shot. As an example I had to put down a rabid raccoon and it took me 3 rounds from my duty .45 ACP and it did not stop until I put one round in its head and the first two rounds were should have been instant kill shots from where I placed the bullets. There are also other factors to be considered such has metnal staus, was he on something, or off his medication, height / weight ect. Must be somewhat of the same when CCW classes are teaching the same thing about shooting and keeping on target until the threat has ended. My prayers and thoughts go out to both the boys family for thier loss and the bad decision thier child made and to the officers who had to do thier job.

Kid brings weapon to school, is repeatedly asked by LEOs to disarm, kid gets shot.

The shooting while regrettable is clearly justified, it's a tragedy, but the kid brought it on himself.

I wouldn't worry about the anti-gun gang using this incident as ammo, thankfully gun sales are through the roof!!

This is one of those shooting that just leaves nothing but sadness behind. The officers are justified, the fired round count is irrelevant.

A lot of folks who own guns, but not familiar with using them in a defensive, or law enforcement capacity, will not realize that when a firearm is used, round count is seldom a concern. Whether you are a CC civilian, or LEO, you are traing to shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. In this case, more officers menas more shots fired. There is no conferences prior where a designated shooter is picked, to assure the PC or ACLU crowd is appeased. There are laws pertaining not just to brandishing a firearm and pointing it to, but even if the firearm is a facsimile of one.
This being said, even if the officers are cleared and the shoot is declared justified, I would not want to be in their shoes. The fact that it is justified would offer me little comfort for taking a life, let alone the life of a kid. What these officers have to live with is bad enough. Neither me, or anyone else need to give them grief to make it worse.

At work this last week, I read an article about how LE snipers should train. Two recommended scenarios were to train (prepare) to take the life of a woman, but also to train to (prepare to) take the life of a child.

The role of a sniper is glorified on tv and in movies. I do not envy the men and women in this role. It is likely one of toughest duties (tasks, assignments) in the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the cops were justified as well, but i would agree with the statement in the article that 3 shots was too much, it should have only taken one shot to take him down. </div></div>

Troll much....

Or are you really that stupid?

dumb kid,play dumb games,win dumb prizes,now his family has to live without him and the officers have to live with him in their mind.In this day it couldn't have played out any differently by anybody but the kid,a sad thing all around.

A tragedy anyway you look at it. This kid forced the hands of these cops and now its something that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

Just how foolish do you have to be to pull a stunt like that in a place like Tejas?

Am I the only one who noticed he was a 15yr old in 8th grade? It's been a fairly good while since I've been in k-12, and I don't have any kids... but I distinctly recall getting my license when I was 16 and in 10th grade- turning 16 half way through the year.

It may not mean anything, but it seems a bit questionable on the surface- why wasn't he of normal age for an kid in 8th grade... 13 or 14 sounds about right?

Anyway, as the saying goes- play with fire and your bound to get burned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one who noticed he was a 15yr old in 8th grade? It's been a fairly good while since I've been in k-12, and I don't have any kids... but I distinctly recall getting my license when I was 16 and in 10th grade- turning 16 half way through the year.

It may not mean anything, but it seems a bit questionable on the surface- why wasn't he of normal age for an kid in 8th grade... 13 or 14 sounds about right?

Anyway, as the saying goes- play with fire and your bound to get burned.</div></div>

Short of being a retard (obviously), he most likely had a birthday after September 1st, which is the cut off date, i.e. a child usually has to be 5 years old to go to kindergarden, and must be 5 before 01SEPT of that year or they are held back.

I think the LEO are fully justified. If three shots was all they took, they showed great restraint.

I am not usually on the side of LEOs, but today I am.
I think what the LEOs did was right and if a punk pointed a gun like that at me, I would shoot his ass and let God sort it out.
My heart goes out to the guy or guys that made the shots. That stays with you forever.
Not a good situation for anyone, but, if it were me I would have busted caps on that punk's ass.
Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not usually on the side of LEOs, but today I am.
I think what the LEOs did was right and if a punk pointed a gun like that at me, I would shoot his ass and let God sort it out.
My heart goes out to the guy or guys that made the shots. That stays with you forever.
Not a good situation for anyone, but, if it were me I would have busted caps on that punk's ass.
Regards, FM</div></div>

Ha ha ha...I couldn't have said it better!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one who noticed he was a 15yr old in 8th grade? It's been a fairly good while since I've been in k-12, and I don't have any kids... but I distinctly recall getting my license when I was 16 and in 10th grade- turning 16 half way through the year.

Anyway, as the saying goes- play with fire and your bound to get burned.</div></div>

Short of being a retard (obviously), he most likely had a birthday after September 1st, which is the cut off date, i.e. a child usually has to be 5 years old to go to kindergarden, and must be 5 before 01SEPT of that year or they are held back. </div></div>

Nope, I got held off because of my birthday, and I was 16 my sophomore year, just like IdahoMike.

Either way kid's a dumbass. Feel bad for those 3 police officers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">call me heartless but its thinning of the herd </div></div>

OK you're heartless but I guess I am too. I'm getting a little tired of these little citizens doing terrible adult violence. I recently received a photo on FB of a German Shepard mix that had both jaws blown off by a "kid" who places fireworks in his mouth. The look in that poor dogs eyes, it was terrible. We as a society better learn quickly the difference between normal children and the feral little monsters that will destroy your life and then plead "It wasn't my fault I'm just a kid." It is time to thin the heard.

This is just my opinion but People that say things like "why didn't the cop just shoot him in the leg" or "just shoot the gun out of his hand" or "one shot would have been enough" have never shot a gun before, let alone shot a gun at a moving target and should remain eternally quiet regarding these types of events. If there's a trial, everybody involved from the judge to the stenographer should all be gun owners and active shooters because trolls like rusty have no clue. just my opinion...

I also noticed the guy was 15yr old. I was 16 when I was a senior and 17 starting college. I know I was the youngest guy in my grade, but I'm thinking about how I was as a Junior getting straight As, being a team captain for two sports, working a job, leading my youth group, on Student council and being the editor of our school newspaper while somebody the same age is in 8th grade bringing a pellet gun to school. This guy wasn't mentally retarded or anything...just another punk idiot. Had I waited a year to start school, I would have been 15 as a sophomore (which is a totally normal age). If I didn't show enough maturity/development at a young age, they might have held me back making me 15 as a Freshman. The guy was behind 2 grades...that should say enough.

Thin the herd...

.............................deleted

15 years is enough to know that if you brandish a gun at a Cop, you are going to get shot. Especially in Texas.