• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Teflon-S coating for precision rifle

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I want to coat my rifle. I have used Teflon-S on a M1A build which has worked very well for that build. The smith building the bolt gun suggested Moly since he thought the Teflon-S coating would be thicker. He doesn't have a lot of experience with the Teflon-S coating however. When I checked with Rocky Mountain Arms, who do the Teflon-S coating (as well as HS Precision) they said the coating is typically .0005 thick, and is thinner than Moly. They also said the FBI chose Teflon-S over Moly, Ceracoat and Duracoat in the tests they ran for the FBI Sniper rifle coatings.

I am looking to coat my rifle for the following reasons:

1. color
    2. added lubricity
    3. protection against elements / reduction in wear on parts

Can anyone with data provide any input on coating choices comparing the following, as I don't see Teflon-S in any of the online comparisons against say ceracoat.

Moly
    Teflon-S
    Ceracoat

Re: Teflon-S coating for precision rifle

I have the Teflon in dead flat on action. went with sniper grey cerakote on bolt. I can tell you after 900 rounds cerakote shows wear and teflon does not. In the dissimilar coatings battle teflon wins. Which really surprised me I was really hoping the ceramic was legit. But much like the cermabore that otis once offered large claim short result. Oh and I run them dry no wet lube. advantage of teflon. also when duracoating for different scenario removes real easy with carb cleaner due to teflon coating. Cerakote takes a little rubbing to remove dura.

But should add cera still hasn't worn through just visible cues of wear.

Re: Teflon-S coating for precision rifle

SATangoDown, thanks. Bearcoat (Rocky Mountain Arms) told me that in the FBI tests, only Teflon-S satisfied all the requirements even though ceracoat was in the trials. I can't find that info published anywhere, so wanted some other first hand opinions on the matter.