• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tele Vue 85 Experiences

ScottVA

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2012
Does anyone here have any experience with one of these telescopes and how they compare with the high end spotters of today? Thanks.

It will be more for astronomy than field use. Meaning it will have replaceable eyepieces, may not be very water resistant, won't have armored coating to resist being dropped, and you may need rings to mount it to a proper tripod.

It will be good glass, but for a field scope for use on a range in various weather conditions, being knocked over, etc. I would be worried about damaging it.

Last edited:
I have the Televue 76 as well as a Pentax 100 ED spotter, both have replaceable eyepieces. The Televue 76 is nice but it is as heavy as my Pentax 100ED. One thing about spotters versus astro scopes, the spotters are build with materials to keep the weight down.

The Televue will be quite sharp when using a dielectric diagonal. But then the image is inverted. Once you add the image erecting diagonal (I got the top line Baader), you bring the image quality down to that of a good spotting scope. So for strictly viewing erect images and mobility, the spotter still wins. But if you go into binoviewing, squeezing the last drop of image, or photography, the astro scope wins so long as you don't worry about mobility.

CanPopper, this information is exactly what I was looking to know about these telescopes. I was very curious about the inverted images and how quality is effected to have correct images. I had read alot about the Tele Vue glass and image sharpness but no real comparisons with spotters on typical rifle usages....spotting shots, calling shots, and holes in targets, etc...thanks for your information!

Forgot to mention, the below link is to a HD video I took through my Televue 76 using a 2" dielectric diagonal and 2" Pentax XW 40 eyepiece:

Bees Pollinating Loquat Flowers in HD - YouTube

As you can see, the image quality is absolutely breathtaking. If there is one peerless advantage to the astro scopes, it is the fact that they can utilize 2" eyepieces and dielectric diagonals to give you supreme image quality. But....I still find myself grabbing my spotter when I shoot because it is simply more convenient....and the PF100ED is no laggard.

I have to say that your informative posts had made my mind up on selection and I had decided to stick with a conventional spotter. Then I watched your video and I'm not so sure. That image quality is nothing short of amazing. I have looked through high end spotters many times at many rifle matches, but I don't know that any of them could beat that image your TV 76 has. Now whether that translates into being able to see bullet holes better I truly doubt, but you would have the ability to star gaze as well. Wow...amazing scope. Thanks for sharing.

I used a 65 Televue for years for long range ground hog hunting, It was great for the money and very clear but when trying to sight in a rife with a spotter calling up, down, etc. that needed to be reversed, it was totally unacceptable. I now have Big Eyes of Sworovski 65s. Life is good!

That's good to know..and understandable as well. I'm considering the the 85 vs. the Kowa Prominar 88. I just can't decide. One thing is for sure....they're both very expensive. I've heard the Kowa has great glass as well. But Swaro's and Big Eyes has to be the ultimate in viewing.

I use a TMB 92SS with a binoviewer for quasi "big eyes" capability. It is cheaper but heavy and I still get the flipped image problem.

CanPopper, do you have a picture of your binoviewer? Also, how does the glass compare to the Televue?

Last edited:
Well, here is a link to the binoviewers I use:
Siebert Optics - Binoviewers

As for the glass of the TMB 92SS, it is better than the Televue's. The TMB 92SS and the Takahasi Sky 90II are the two best refractors money can buy for that aperture. Their Strehl ratio are consistently higher than Televue's. Plus my TMB has the shortened tube so it is specifically designed to work with binoviewers.

Strehl ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarch...page/1/view/collapsed/sb/9/o/o/fpart/all/vc/1

However, the TMB is heavier than my Televue 76. Currently, I've found I can see bullet holes at 600 yards pretty well with my Pentax PF 100ED when mated with the Pentax 10XW eyepiece so the TMB and my binoviewer setup get very little loving. Maybe if I had a place to shoot to 1000 and beyond then I'd haul that setup out more often

Last edited:
Okay. I hear you. That's exactly what I'm wanting to know. I appreciate the information. My primary purpose for a scope is rifle related, but I once noticed when I owned a Unertl Team Scope that it would view planets pretty well, too. So, that's what really started my thinking on a dual purpose setup...if such a thing even exists. So, for me, weight isn't TOO big of a concern since planet viewing would be done from my house and rifle activities would be a setup at the range. Thanks for the help.