• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me about Anschutz 64 and 1416

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
What is the difference between these rifles besides about $300?
I am looking for a great shooting 22 with a really nice trigger. Nice trigger = light, crisp, no takeup, creep or overtavel. I looked at a 1416 in 17 cal (can't rememer the model number mayber 1517?) and the trigger had 0 takeup, was crisp, but had overtravel. I would have liked the trigger less the overtavel. Can the overtravel be adjusted out? Does the 64 have a better trigger. Any other thoughts or commets?

Re: Tell me about Anschutz 64 and 1416

my 64 is one of the best triggers I own .....dont know about the 1416 but the 1517 I thought was single stage

The 64 actions have some good triggers, but in my opinion, nothing compared to the 54 actions.

Never seen a trigger that came on my 54 action 1807.

Like I said, the 64 trigger is great, but if you want the best I'd go with one of the 54 actions.

But to be honest, I think you would only be able to tell the difference if you were shooting ISU matches. That's where the difference is really apparent.

Thanks for input, but can anyone tell me the difference between a 1416 and a 64?

The 54 and 64 are the two different types of Annie round actions in generic terms. The 4 digit numbers refer to the specific rifle configuration the action is being used in. The term "difference" is not applicable to this comparison. For example, a 1913 uses a 54 type action. But, that is not enough info to understand the evolution of the 54 action standalone. 16xx, 18xx, and 19xx are used for 54 action rifle designations post about 1964 in their target line of rifles. Don't have their sporter line model numbers memorized.

Nothing wrong with the 64 actioned rifles, but the triggers on them have evolved over the years too, so you have to look at the specific rifle and see what trigger it has on it. Not all of them are two stage adjustable.

All that said, the current MPR and the recently discontinued biathlon rifle built on the 64 action are very nice rifles with good triggers.

The best I can understand, and that is limited knowledge mind you, the MPR has a far superior 2 stage trigger than the 1416. From personal experience my 64 MPR will adjust into the single digit oz range with no creep. It is a very crisp target trigger which I have never experienced its equal. If the trigger on a 54 is any better, I don't know how. I know a couple people who have had a 1416 and an MPR and their take on it is the MPR is superior in every respect and worth the extra coin. I have not sussed out a 1416 personally so I don't know if they have the accuracy potential. They should theoretically be just as accurate I suppose but often the difference between great and good can be a trigger, litterally.

I have a 54.18 and 2 64 MPR's. I do not shoot BR or sillouette comps, but use my Anschutz for tactical training and tons of fun plinking.

My GO TO rimfire is one of my 64 MPR's. I prefer its trigger over the 54.18. They have different attributes and I just personally prefer the 64 trigger.

Try a 64 MPR and I think you'll be very satisfied.

I have a question for you guys. I've heard/read that 64's have occasional case ejection problems. Do the 54's have more reliable ejection or are the issues just specific to 64's that left the factory not working properly?

Steve, a true match chamber does not deal well with the variance of size of cheap ammo nor excessive shooting without cleaning.

A 22 extractor can only have as much engagement as the rim versus case diameter allows, and the springs have to be weak enough to snap over the rim with no chance of setting off the primer.

Keep it clean and use good ammo. Also, you can put a drop of oil on a round, keep the chamber a tad wet, and it will for sure extract. My S&W 41 needs this step every few mags to run 100% reliably.

Thanks for the info 9H.

Can the 54's be considered more reliable than 64's or pretty much the same? I've never had a 54 before so I'm unfamiliar with the extractor system on them.

Steve, I know from your air rifles that you are an accuracy nut.

I'd say you'd probably not like this answer, but for "what we do", the 64 is gonna be plenty accurate. I can't see a reliability difference either - both use similar extractors.

The issue really comes down to this - 64 actioned repeaters are easier to come by IMO than 54 actioned repeaters. There were some silhouette repeater models and some sporter models (I happen to have one, a bull barreled 17 Mach 2 I may be parting with) that are 54 repeaters, but to buy one and make a target repeater out of it you are gonna have well northward of a grand just to get the action and trigger, and the sporter trigger is not the 5018 trigger, "the" trigger to have, so that addition is another $350....

Kinda a slippery slope here my friend.

An MPR becomes a very attractive way to stay off of that slope.

I have a 54M, "X" ending after the serial numbers_despite his age, a true one holer rifle,w.right ammos and in the right hands_ Well over my shooting capabilities_ NEVER failed to extract_I'm only a eternal apprentice shooter,but this iron,peep or scope, it's a real pleasure to shoot_

To answer your original question, the 1416 and 1517 are two different models of rifles built on the 64 action. Anschutz basically has three different action designs. The 64, the 54 and the 2007. All the four digit numbers refer to the stock design or rifle model built on one of these three actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, I know from your air rifles that you are an accuracy nut.

I'd say you'd probably not like this answer, but for "what we do", the 64 is gonna be plenty accurate. I can't see a reliability difference either - both use similar extractors.

The issue really comes down to this - 64 actioned repeaters are easier to come by IMO than 54 actioned repeaters. There were some silhouette repeater models and some sporter models (I happen to have one, a bull barreled 17 Mach 2 I may be parting with) that are 54 repeaters, but to buy one and make a target repeater out of it you are gonna have well northward of a grand just to get the action and trigger, and the sporter trigger is not the 5018 trigger, "the" trigger to have, so that addition is another $350....

Kinda a slippery slope here my friend.

An MPR becomes a very attractive way to stay off of that slope.
</div></div>

Seems like those MPR's are getting excellent recommendations especially for the price! Might have to just go that route.

Speaking of slippery slopes...I'm trying to talk myself out having a Blackops 605 or 40x/22lr trainer repeater built to mimic my MAK 6x47L. 3000ish dollar 22's are hard for me to justify as much as I'd like one.

Thanks for the help 9H.