• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me about CETME's

bergrt

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Colorado, USA
I have a little money to play with, not enough for an M1A, but looking at a Century Arms FAL and see alot of these CETME's but can't find much about them. Anyone have experience with them. Thanks, Ryan

Re: Tell me about CETME's

The CETME is the Spanish older brother of the the HK91/G3.

Not my cup of tea. I would much rather have a FN/FAL or HK91 or PTR91.

Save your $ a bit longer and buy a FN/FAL or PTR91.

I agree with TeufelHund. I have dealt with several of these guns. The number one problem I saw with them is that the charging handle would break loose preventing you from cocking the weapon. While I know a few guys that have them and like them. I would save my $$ and go with a FAL or even a SAIGA in 308. The PTR is a good gun but it's a bit more expensive and as all of the HK's and their clones, they are heavy as hell.

experiences have led me to prefer m1a. for less one can buy dsa fal and have a dandy sporter but not as accurate generally as a good m1a. if these are too spendy, and choice is between a r1a1 century fal type clone or the doosh-a-rific cetme/g3 clones century spits out id definately rock a fal type but make sure its feed ramp is not "unibrow." fal design is much more ergo and not a sheet metal welding project.

me gut tells me you should slide on over to ar15dotcom...the brain trust there is awesome.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wonder if hteHK-91 is more accurate than a M1A?</div></div>

now i know you are smoking some cheap street crack......

I have had one each of the big 4 .308's. DPMS .308 AP4 carbine, DSA FAL, SA M1A, & PTR-91 (not quite an HK91 but close). Apples for apples with open sights, my PTR is more accurate than any of the others I own. Ergonomics is an individual preference. I find the PTR/HK design very robust, reliable, & well balanced. I can't say much 1st hand about the Century CETME's, but the web is filled with horror stories about them. I'd stay away from them & save up for a PTR/HK if you really like the design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wonder if hteHK-91 is more accurate than a M1A? </div></div>

Best I can do with my HK-91 is 1.1" for a 5 shot group with match ammo as opposed to under .5" with my bolt. I'm sure a better shooter can get it under an inch. I've never shot an M1A but I assume it will do much better than that. As DLP stated though, it's heavy which is great for controlling recoil but it's not something I'd be slinging through the field. Definitely fun to shoot though but cleaning is a bit of a chore compared to bolts and ARs.

Hope that helps.

Most of the CETME rifles I have seen lately have been pretty poorly built. Bad welds, chewed up barrels and very poor fit/finish. I didn't check any of the critical dimensions like bolt gap, etc., but I am betting that there would be problems in those areas. The Century CETMEs are just pure garbage so don't even think about one of their rifles.

If you are wanting a delayed roller-lock action rifle, the cheapest and most reliable/accurate/well-made solution is the PTR-91 which can be had for around the $1k mark. Out of the box, they are 2MOA or slightly better rifles with quality ammo (NOT cheap surplus crap).

http://www.ptr91.com/

As for the FN/FAL...they are excellent rifles, reliable, durable and capable of 2MOA accuracy depending on who put the rifle together. Again, Century is one of the worst manufacturers/importers out there and their products reflect it. I personally wouldn't consider anything that Century puts out. There are just too many alternatives that are better built and close to the same price range.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1fabweld</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had one each of the big 4 .308's. DPMS .308 AP4 carbine, DSA FAL, SA M1A, & PTR-91 (not quite an HK91 but close). Apples for apples with open sights, my PTR is more accurate than any of the others I own. Ergonomics is an individual preference. I find the PTR/HK design very robust, reliable, & well balanced. I can't say much 1st hand about the Century CETME's, but the web is filled with horror stories about them. I'd stay away from them & save up for a PTR/HK if you really like the design. </div></div>

Really? Wow,I guess I should get rid of my DPMS LR308.

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE

Thank you for the help gentlemen. I thought I would gather as much information as I could. I understand this is not going to be my long range sniper, but wanted something with more penetration then my HBAR. Locally the cost of the M1A has skyrocketed and for mounting optics the FAL seems much better suited. I have seen a proliferation of these CETME's and wanted to see if they were worth a look or not. I would conclude that they are not. I appreciate the comments. Ryan

Ryan
The M1a, Hk91 or clone, FN/FAL, DPMS would all make good choices for you. If you live in Northern Colorado Check out Jensen Arms. He has all of these. The DPMS will be the least expensive and will probably be the most accurate out of the box. The M1a is an extremely capable rifle but will usually require to specialized tweaks to bring it to its full potential. A bone stock Springfield M1a in my experience will need a lot of work to make it a real tack driver. ALL of these will be accurate enough for casual shooting and defensive shooting. If you want a precision semiauto the AR10 type rifles like the DPMS are IMHO the best place to get started with the least trouble. M1a optic mounts are not cheap and tend sit up high causing poor check weld without a riser on the comb or a high end stock with adjustable comb. The AR10 type like DPMS is less expensive than all the rest. I thing they start around $950ish if you look. They take optics easy and from what I hear and and have seen they shoot like the devil and are very accurate. We wont get into gas gun versus bolt gun today. The FAL and Hk91 are classic and very good rifles. I have seen FAL rifles shoot very tiny groups but it depends alot on the man behind the rifle and the rifle. A Century Arms FAL is not going to be near the rifle of a an original FN or a DSA. There are many nice IMBEL FALs out there also along with some others. The HK91 is basically an non starter for you. Not many around and they command a high price. IMHO the PTR91 rifles are actually better shooters than the HK91 I owned. They are not light rifles. None of these rifles are what you would call little. If you want small buy a 5.56mm rifle or AK variant.

Its a tough call but I would suggest looking at the DPMS. Cost, accuracy, mag price (Takes the new P-Mag), optic mounts all point to a winner for me.

I know you started asking about a CETME but such is life.

Pass on the CETME and step into something, hell anything, with better quality.

I always get a chuckle when people start comparing stamped steel rifles to those such as the M1a and AR10. I know the FAL and HK's and thier clones are well established and proven (and amazingly overpriced) but......so are 55 chevys.
smile.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1fabweld</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had one each of the big 4 .308's. DPMS .308 AP4 carbine, DSA FAL, SA M1A, & PTR-91 (not quite an HK91 but close). Apples for apples with open sights, my PTR is more accurate than any of the others I own. Ergonomics is an individual preference. I find the PTR/HK design very robust, reliable, & well balanced. I can't say much 1st hand about the Century CETME's, but the web is filled with horror stories about them. I'd stay away from them & save up for a PTR/HK if you really like the design. </div></div>

Really? Wow,I guess I should get rid of my DPMS LR308.

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE </div></div>Ok, then get rid of it. I FILLED OUT MY PROFILE FOR YOU! Thanks for the suggestion friend.

Ya know, sorry to hijack but....we used to require a legit profile here. What the hell ever happened to that? Just wonderin.
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know, sorry to hijack but....we used to require a legit profile here. What the hell ever happened to that? Just wonderin.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

Ya we do, and "the reservation" is not a city or state.....

True, took it down a while back 'cause I wasn't buying or selling anything but I tell ya what, when I do I'll be sure and put it right back up. Hell, might even do it sooner just for you KY.
wink.gif
Come on, ya know my state, got my name, only the slowest couldn't get it figured out.

okie

CETME's are CRAP!!! Plain and simple. If they mounted the rear sight anywhere near where it should be you might hit something in the same area-code.

i must have gotten lucky. mine shoots fine. got a claw mount and short scope for it. bi-pod and a stack of 20 round mags and i shoot all day. its heavy but once you get the mechanics down, its fine. you do gotta watch out for the ones with popcorn welds on the rear sight and missing scope base lug

I got my CETME for real cheap but I would not recommend one for any serious work. Several problems but I have abouve average machine skills and access to some great help. Needed to re-pean the sheet metal back into shape and reweld, replace rollers etc. It is as accurate as a Polytec M1A that I use to have but not near as accurate as DPMS rifles that I have shot. It is very hard on brass if you reload. I like mine but could not recommend one to someone else. Some guys have had good luck mounting optics but a lot have not, The mounts set to high and most move under recoil. If you only want iron sights they are OK. The windage and elevation is all in the front sight. I had to cut my front post off and silver solder a new taller post to get it to zero.

There is a big difference between the Cetme rifle that Century make and the Cetme rifle imported 20+ years ago.

I like my CETME. I had to do some tuning and I'd love to go into detail but Axeman's signature is causing a great deal of distraction.

No idea about the new production rifles. The ones we collected off the portuguese troops im Mozambique were abominations. They were issued to Second line troops here until we could get more FAL's. Most of us who were issued one bought our own bolt action .303's to replace them, and many of the junior ranks refused the G3's and hung onto their issue No4's instead.

A few folk got ones that worked, and many of the problems were magazine related...but for every one who praised them there were ten who swore at them. Very accurate though.

The south Africans issued them to recruits as drill rifles and for basic training before they moved onto R1's (FAL's) for operations.

i will say this, its heavy enough to make a great club should it fail to fire. i love mine and would keep it, but with a DPMS 308 and my desire to have a premier scope has led me to put mine up for sale. i just really have a hard time doing it for some reason

From talking to a buddy who has one they seem to be pretty 'hit or miss'. The Century Arms version he originally got would not feed and the 'fit and finish' was horrible. He said he sent it back, and was sent another one. He said this one was much better, and he loves it. Seems like there are better options out there, tho (if not for just a little more $).