• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Tell Me About: Suppressor Covers

Joeg26er

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Tell Me About: Suppressor Covers

Should I could I make my own?
If not, what's considered the current best?

Looking for some to cover up to 8.4" down to Turbo K (gen2)

Here's what I've learned ... by buying them and throwing away the ones that don't work.
  1. They are VERY necessary mostly to combat mirage.
  2. The ones that tighten with "strings" ... don't work and walk forward.
  3. The ones that tighten with velcro straps are best.
  4. The ones with an inner heat-shield are awesome.
  5. Cole-Tac makes the best suppressor covers ... their HTP version is awesome and can be custom-fitted to your specific suppressor.

This is what you seek. We make them to order so they’ll fit just right. We use kevlar cord. You can easily tell who is aiming for quality by the cord they use. Shock cord is $0.05 per foot. Kevlar cord is $1 per foot. Ours is a slide on and pull the cord design, no wrapping or lace tightening needed.

Here's what I've learned ... by buying them and throwing away the ones that don't work.
  5. Cole-Tac makes the best suppressor covers ... their HTP version is awesome and can be custom-fitted to your specific suppressor.
0EBFC1EF-0253-46EB-B17B-A1EDFA1073E0.jpeg

Completely agree with all this. Including Cole-Tac.

Reactions: Arcticshooter
I've looked at multiple covers and always went back to AG hi temp covers. They don't slide forward and are priced well. The PU is a 50% cost increase over AG.

Have the cole tac. Have the PURG. My rifle is currently getting a barrel spun up for it so I cannot test the PURG cover, but initial thoughts are it ought to work very well. Will update once I try it out.

Have the cole tac. Have the PURG. My rifle is currently getting a barrel spun up for it so I cannot test the PURG cover, but initial thoughts are it ought to work very well. Will update once I try it out.
Let us know what you think! I’d like to see some user comparisons. I’ll confidently say that if ours is installed correctly it’s the best looking as well as the most effective (in the nylon class)out there.

@padom has said all of his other covers are in a drawer somewhere now that he has ours. He’s got some street cred around here so I’ll take it!

Laces don’t work if you don’t use them right. Precision underground works well as long as you use them as directed in instructions. Mine is excellent.

Tab Gear SAS2 is tight as a motherf8cker. It's perfection, as long as you don't ever want to take it back off.

Last edited:
Run Armageddon Gear on most of my suppressors for ~4yrs now. Never had any walk off or any black dust. Laces work fine. I have seen a friend melt the buckles on a Coletac and it didn't take much. Think I've seen others do the same so do a search. I'd buy AG or Precision Underground. Need to actually order a Precision Underground if they happen to still have some of that gray material for my SiCo Hybrid - I just keep forgetting.

I am currently torn between Armageddon Gear and Precision Underground, I like the looks of the PU cover better but at double the price I am not sure whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze. Another fantastic looking option, albeit $100 more than the already pricey PU option is the Liberty Defense Straightjacket Thermal Attenuator. Hands down the sexist looking option but at $250 it's flat out nutty.

I have used the HAD cover on my Omega can since 2018. Primary use is annual my prairie dog hunt, where the heat is extreme AND sustained for hours! Initially I had a problem with the cover walking forward, but HAD offers a really good technique to tie the cord which, once executed, 100% prevented further issues. The HAD is pure awesome. My brothers factory Dakota suppressor cover almost caught fire his first year PD shooting! lol. He wasn't pleased watching me hammer away as he fought off smoke from his cover!

I have a Rauch precision and for the price it’s ok but it’s no Precision underground. It slides and I use it coyote hunting where I don’t shoot a ton of rounds a night so I’m sure it would be worse at a range or match

I am currently torn between Armageddon Gear and Precision Underground, I like the looks of the PU cover better but at double the price I am not sure whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze. Another fantastic looking option, albeit $100 more than the already pricey PU option is the Liberty Defense Straightjacket Thermal Attenuator. Hands down the sexist looking option but at $250 it's flat out nutty.

I don’t think ours is twice what AGs is. Maybe you’re comparing their plain cover to our high temp but even then it’s not twice the price. We used to offer a non-high temp version just so people could see that there’s a difference. Any time someone bought one I’d typically talk them into upgrading because it makes no sense to give up that much insulation to save a few bucks on something that has a lifetime warranty.

I can talk about using aerospace sleeving, NOT using 5 cent shock cord, NOT using ridiculously tight straps to attach it because that ruins any chance of keeping the cover cool, etc... but this is the bottom line; if you buy one and don’t feel like you got what you paid for you can put it right back in the package and send it back. It has a lifetime warranty when used as directed so how much are you really saving per year to go with something else just because it’s a little cheaper? If you like another one better go grab it but if you haven’t held one of ours in your hand get one and just send it back if you aren’t impressed. Pictures really don’t do them justice. Insulation aside, details like only the nylon overlapping (rather than the insulation overlapping) makes a big difference in how clean and neat they look compared to most. Some people don’t care about stuff like that but we’re pretty vain when it comes to gear lol.
707652DE-E73D-49DE-9653-537CF4A6244B.jpeg

3603BAD1-FBC3-4276-9603-C07F541EDE7E.jpeg

BCDD13A3-A1DD-47D2-8D2C-736B2F160742.jpeg

I don’t think ours is twice what AGs is. Maybe you’re comparing their plain cover to our high temp but even then it’s not twice the price. We used to offer a non-high temp version just so people could see that there’s a difference. Any time someone bought one I’d typically talk them into upgrading because it makes no sense to give up that much insulation to save a few bucks on something that has a lifetime warranty.

I can talk about using aerospace sleeving, NOT using 5 cent shock cord, NOT using ridiculously tight straps to attach it because that ruins any chance of keeping the cover cool, etc... but this is the bottom line; if you buy one and don’t feel like you got what you paid for you can put it right back in the package and send it back. It has a lifetime warranty when used as directed so how much are you really saving per year to go with something else just because it’s a little cheaper? If you like another one better go grab it but if you haven’t held one of ours in your hand get one and just send it back if you aren’t impressed. Pictures really don’t do them justice. Insulation aside, details like only the nylon overlapping (rather than the insulation overlapping) makes a big difference in how clean and neat they look compared to most. Some people don’t care about stuff like that but we’re pretty vain when it comes to gear lol.
View attachment 7587519
View attachment 7587526
View attachment 7587522
Thanks for sharing! How will these hold up in 100 degree ambient temps + sustain all day long prairie dog shoots with an AR-15?

Thanks for sharing! How will these hold up in 100 degree ambient temps + sustain all day long prairie dog shoots with an AR-15?
Yea as long as it’s installed correctly you can dump a few mags no problem. For the sake of your suppressor I’d say you want to cool a little after that anyway. If you want to keep shooting after dumping 3 30 round mags it’s probably best to step up to something that’s not nylon at all.

When companies talk about “oh this is rated up to 1800 degrees!” those are just one liners. Yes our internal materials are good up to that but the issue is how long can you keep that heat away from the nylon. Ours uses a braided fiberglass sleeve that’s coated in high temp silicone as a first layer so it seals the heat out well. Once that heats up good the carbon fiber felt keeps a buffer between the nylon and the can. This is where not using really tight straps comes into play. Tight straps press the cover against the hot can and will make the felt/insulation about 1/2-1/3 as effective as it would be if it were not compressed.

But at some point the heat has to go somewhere and all nylon covers will fail if you keep shooting. If you told me one would go more than 3 rapid fire 30 round mags without any damage at all you’d have to show me for me to believe it. You can dump 3 with ours but you need to slide and cool it after that to allow the heat to dissipate.

Yea as long as it’s installed correctly you can dump a few mags no problem. For the sake of your suppressor I’d say you want to cool a little after that anyway. If you want to keep shooting after dumping 3 30 round mags it’s probably best to step up to something that’s not nylon at all.

When companies talk about “oh this is rated up to 1800 degrees!” those are just one liners. Yes our internal materials are good up to that but the issue is how long can you keep that heat away from the nylon. Ours uses a braided fiberglass sleeve that’s coated in high temp silicone as a first layer so it seals the heat out well. Once that heats up good the carbon fiber felt keeps a buffer between the nylon and the can. This is where not using really tight straps comes into play. Tight straps press the cover against the hot can and will make the felt/insulation about 1/2-1/3 as effective as it would be if it were not compressed.

But at some point the heat has to go somewhere and all nylon covers will fail if you keep shooting. If you told me one would go more than 3 rapid fire 30 round mags without any damage at all you’d have to show me for me to believe it. You can dump 3 with ours but you need to slide and cool it after that to allow the heat to dissipate.
That sounds reasonable. As you suggest, after dumping 3-30 round mags time to give the barrel a break before meltdown...

That sounds reasonable. As you suggest, after dumping 3-30 round mags time to give the barrel a break before meltdown...
For sure. It’s plenty tough enough to handle anything you can throw at it without ragging on your barrel or your can. If you want to do that get a liberty defense!

View attachment 7587519
View attachment 7587526
View attachment 7587522

Got any pics of the Olive Green cover? Also, what is the lead time on these?

Got any pics of the Olive Green cover? Also, what is the lead time on these?
We’ve got a 7.6” olive one in stock that was made in error. For a custom size we typically have them out in a week or two depending on where you order in the cycle. We’ll be making a pile of them this week so you can probably get in on that batch of you grab one today.

Pic of the olive one in this thread👇🏻

Waste of money. I stuff all my silencer tools inside of it so that they stay together in my range bag.

I dont get mirage until I shoot more than a stage worth of shots. So I never need it.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnCarter17
We’ve got a 7.6” olive one in stock that was made in error. For a custom size we typically have them out in a week or two depending on where you order in the cycle. We’ll be making a pile of them this week so you can probably get in on that batch of you grab one today.

Pic of the olive one in this thread👇🏻

Too bad it isn't 7" to fit my Ultra 7 but I got to see the color and that's all that matters. Thanks for the link.

This is what you seek. We make them to order so they’ll fit just right. We use kevlar cord. You can easily tell who is aiming for quality by the cord they use. Shock cord is $0.05 per foot. Kevlar cord is $1 per foot. Ours is a slide on and pull the cord design, no wrapping or lace tightening needed.
These don't work, they slide.

Waste of money. I stuff all my silencer tools inside of it so that they stay together in my range bag.

I dont get mirage until I shoot more than a stage worth of shots. So I never need it.

I got a 16" 308 barrel, and can see mirage after two consecutive shots...

Reactions: tex68w
These don't work, they slide.
If it’s sliding you 100% don’t have it on correctly, assuming the size is right. It’s actually physically impossible for it to slide when it’s put on correctly. Did you reach out to us when you had issues? We haven’t had anyone reach out about one sliding since we changed the instructions to make them easier to understand which was a long time ago.

Our product tag says that we want to be the first to know if you are not 100% satisfied. It also says that we offer a money back guarantee if we’re not able to make you happy. What else can we do?

Last edited:
I disagree about the “strings” comment. Precision Underground with Kevlar cord work perfectly and because the cord cinches down behind the suppressor to the barrel it never comes forward. I’ve also not seen any loss of accuracy. The high heat version does a great job mitigating mirage. Their CS is awesome too.

I use a Precision Underground laced insulator on my 338 ultra. Laced up right, it stays where it should. I can easily slide it to the rear between strings to let the suppressor cool, and then slide it back on when I’m ready to roll. Like the others have said, It’s not just the tension of the string that holds it in place, but the position of the string as well. It’s simple and it stays put. I also use one of their bags and I will definitely buy more of their products in the future. Oh, they have badass T-shirts too. 😎👍

Suppressor covers are a must if you are shooting more than five rounds. Mirage really sucks.

Armageddon Gear gets my vote. Their design cinches behind the rear of the suppressor and it does not walk forward...I have seen covers launched downrange.

Make sure you get the high temp version on a gas gun. The low temp version works fine on bolt guns.

As an update, took my new PURG can cover out today for the first time on my new barrel for my AI and experienced no walking of the cover, and no impact to accuracy as it’s been said. I don’t know how someone can fuck it up. Super easy install and uninstall. Definitely will be getting more of them as needed as I collect more tax stamps!

As an update, took my new PURG can cover out today for the first time on my new barrel for my AI and experienced no walking of the cover, and no impact to accuracy as it’s been said. I don’t know how someone can fuck it up. Super easy install and uninstall. Definitely will be getting more of them as needed as I collect more tax stamps!
Right on man we appreciate you taking the time to post!

Reactions: db2000 and Krob95
I've had good luck with the Armageddon Gear covers, but get the high-temp version. I melted a "standard" non-AG cover on a .308 in a night vision class. Lesson learned. I like being able to slide the suppressor towards the action and over the barrel. Like others, I'll see significant mirage after 7-10 shots, especially in the summer. I keep an old rag saturated with water handy. After a string, I slide the cover back, wrap the wet rag around the can (with a sizzle!) and let it cool, and usually wipe down the outside of the barrel. This really helps control heat and mirage.

Reactions: jmornoinf
Based on this discussion I rolled with a PURG for my pre-jail can. I'll probably try COLE-TAC and Armageddon later.