• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tell me about your 6.5x47

Re: Tell me about your 6.5x47

6.5x47 is a great caliber. very efficient.

Mine likes 39 gr. of R17 and 140 AMAX.

You guys that are using RL17, have you noticed it to be temperature sensitive, and is the accuracy as good or better than the other powders used.

I am in process of building a 18 inch barreled (all purpose/hunting rig) 6.5 and I'm debating wheather or no to go 6.5 creedmor or 6.5x47. I have been told that the creedmor retains better velocity in shorter barrels than any of the other 6.5's. Maybe with the new addition of RL17 I can retain the lost velocity with the 6.5x47.

I already have a long barreled 6.5x47 so I have the dies and reloading supplies. I would love to be able to get the 130 vld to 2750 fps without pressure signs.

Your thoughts???

I've seen an extreme spread of 110fps with RL17 in my 260 Rem with 130gr VLDs over four different range trips...but accuracy never changed (half-MOA) and never saw any pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen an extreme spread of 110fps with RL17 in my 260 Rem with 130gr VLDs over four different range trips...but accuracy never changed (half-MOA) and never saw any pressure.</div></div>

I couldn't live with that.
I'd have to do more load development until I had a ES below 20fps. At distance, a ES of 110fps (could) result in a miss. Just rough calculation gives ~.5mil difference past 775yds.

I think he is trying to say the 110 FPS spread is due to temperature changes on different range trips. RL-17 is about as unstable to temperature as it gets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he is trying to say the 110 FPS spread is due to temperature changes on different range trips.</div></div>

Yup...

ES of my 260 Rem load (130 VLD, 43.5 RL17, Lapua brass, WLR) runs between 15-20fps on any given trip, but on different trips to the range I've seen speeds across my ProChrono average a low of 2962 to a high of 3072 for 4 and 5 shot groups.

And actually, the highest velocities were not so much from higher ambient temps; I stupidly left the rounds out in direct sunlight for about an hour before shooting them on a day when it was only about 80°F.

I'm now working up a load with H4350 to see if I can get to 3000fps without being so temp sensitive, but damn if the RL17 hasn't consistently provided great accuracy with Berger 130s.

Rem 700 custom

Kreiger barrel
likes the 130 JLK bullets at 2915 FPS.

H4350 powder about 41.7 grains of it.