• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell Me what you'd think about this 700 build...

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
I currently have a Rem 700 VLS.

I plan on sending it to GAP to get a match barrel of the Crusader size (not sure the exact size but I want heavier than the Rem varmint contour)

Plan on replacing the factory stock with a Bell and Carlson A2

Then a Shilen 700 trigger.

No change to the action.

How would something like this fare?
Any suggestions? Not looking to spend too much...

Thanks

Re: Tell Me what you'd think about this 700 build...

sounds good but i would blueprint the action while before a custom barrel, other than that it should shoot great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a Rem 700 VLS.

I plan on sending it to GAP to get a match barrel of the Crusader size (not sure the exact size but I want heavier than the Rem varmint contour)

No change to the action.

Thanks </div></div>

Tomekeuro,

Hmmmm, let's see you own Rem VLS (caliber unknown) w/26" barrel 0.820" @ muzzle, that is already a heavy SOB, now you want to rebarrel with a GAP Crusader Barrel (Bartlein stainless 5R barrel #7 GAP Contour .920 at muzzle; 23" Long) to make it a heavier SOB???? Ok moving on....

GAP Services

Bartlien Barrel $315
Chamber and true the action and bolt and crown muzzle on customers rifle $350

And since it is raw stainless steel, you might need this:
Bead blast and coat with flat black, Desert Tan or OD Teflon/Cerakote, customers rifle $265

So just for the rebarrel job w/coating: $930

But your not looking to spend too much???

Next: Shilen trigger good choice but it does not have a safety, so you have to get (buy, steal, or borrow) one to add it on, assuming you want a trigger with a safety of course.

At this point after that much into your barreled action (well over 1K plus the cost original rifle) you might as well just get a McMillan A-5, it's only another $623 + shipping from JW Precision. Yea, that's $400 more than a B&C A2, but since you went first class on the barrel job, you might as well "go all the way" baby.

IMHO,

Bob

+1 on truing the action. I would also recommend a mcmillan or manners stock over the B&C.

If your having GAP do it, I would go all out with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a Rem 700 VLS.

No change to the action.

Thanks </div></div>

Tomekeuro,

Hmmmm, let's see you own Rem VLS (caliber unknown) w/26" barrel 0.820" @ muzzle, that is already a heavy SOB, now you want to rebarrel with a GAP Crusader Barrel (Bartlein stainless 5R barrel #7 GAP Contour .920 at muzzle; 23" Long) to make it a heavier SOB???? Ok moving on....

GAP Services

Bartlien Barrel $315
Chamber and true the action and bolt and crown muzzle on customers rifle $350

And since it is raw stainless steel, you might need this:
Bead blast and coat with flat black, Desert Tan or OD Teflon/Cerakote, customers rifle $265

So just for the rebarrel job w/coating: $930

But your not looking to spend too much???

Next: Shilen trigger good choice but it does not have a safety, so you have to get (buy, steal, or borrow) one to add it on, assuming you want a trigger with a safety of course.

At this point after that much into your barreled action (well over 1K plus the cost original rifle) you might as well just get a McMillan A-5, it's only another $623 + shipping from JW Precision. Yea, that's $400 more than a B&C A2, but since you went first class on the barrel job, you might as well "go all the way" baby.

IMHO,

Bob

</div></div>

Interesting... To answer your question.. weight is of 0 issue, it'll only be used at the range off a bench or prone bipod.. caliber is .223.

I dont know what I'll do with the coating.. would be nice to have a uniform color not some freak looking thing.

Is it necessary to coat the SS barrel? What if i dont?

Is the Mcm a5 significanly better? If i did go with the mcmillan, id get the same one off the crusader (a3?)

I'll have to see. I may just save up and wait till I can go all out as you say, since that is typically my style anyways..

How much of a difference exists between a Mcmillan and S&C?

Thanks!

GAP always trues the action with a rebarrel to a 700 unless it was already trued by them before....unless they have changed their policy on that. Otherwise....I am sure (assuming there are no bedding issues) you will have a great shooter.

Best of luck

And just as a side question..

What if I simply got a match barrel installed/trued etc of the same contour as factory, and kept everything else factory.

Would accuracy be decent?

I had a VLS in 243 Win. that would shoot in the 3's with careful handloading. And with the factory barrel at that. I can only imagine that the match barrel install would make for "decent accuracy".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Interesting... To answer your question.. weight is of 0 issue, it'll only be used at the range off a bench or prone bipod.. caliber is .223.

I dont know what I'll do with the coating.. would be nice to have a uniform color not some freak looking thing.

Is it necessary to coat the SS barrel? What if i dont?

Is the Mcm a5 significanly better? If i did go with the mcmillan, id get the same one off the crusader (a3?)

I'll have to see. I may just save up and wait till I can go all out as you say, since that is typically my style anyways..

How much of a difference exists between a Mcmillan and S&C?

Thanks! </div></div>

OK, Benchrest and prone bipod only, so yes, weight would not a issue. No you don't need to coat a SS barrel, it will be silver. McMicky A5 is what GAP shows on the Crusader, see:

GAP Crusader

Difference between McMicky A5 and B&C, is like the build quality between a Mercedes Benz and a Chevy......

Again IMHO,

Bob

If your not looking to spend too much just keep it like it is for now. After you save up some more then you can go all out.

True the action for sure
put a match grade barrel on it, (Really any of them will work great)

I would get a manners stock and after that you have a fully custom tack driver.

I think your looking good so far but I would have to agree with everybody else about truing the action. It would be nice to do a Mcmillan stock but the B&C will do the job just fine. You might want to skim bed it just to be on the safe side because the bedding block sometimes doesn't make full contact. GAP rifles always perform and I'm sure it'll take a while to get it back from them with their wait times being so long that you may end up changing your mind by the time it comes back anyway.

Good Input so far...

What about barrel length? I'll rarely (probably never) exceed 300 yards distance, thats all I have at my range.

20" sufficient?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Input so far...

What about barrel length? I'll rarely (probably never) exceed 300 yards distance, thats all I have at my range.

20" sufficient? </div></div>

Yes, a 20" tube will be more than sufficient.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Input so far...

20" sufficient?</div></div> i would go 18"

Re: Tell Me what you'd think about this 700 build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And just as a side question..

What if I simply got a match barrel installed/trued etc of the same contour as factory, and kept everything else factory.

Would accuracy be decent? </div></div>

Sounds counter productive to buy an aftermarket barrel and not have the action trued. I think almost all smiths will tell you that you won't see full potential with just an aftermarket barrel and no blueprinting.

Make sure you get a 1:8 twist I think.

Also the factory laminate stock is better than a B&C A2 so

Unless you're against it on ergonomic or economic grounds, why not go with an AICS so you do away with the need for bedding the stock?

An unrelated question, do AICS stocks play well with lefties? I'm a righthander so haven't had problems using them in the past and don't have one handy to try lefthanded right now

No need to try to shoot "cack handed"

AICS 2.0 is available as both LH and RH
laugh.gif

Yeah but I know a lefty asking me about buying an AI AE and I'm like, fucked if I know if it'll work for you, and he's never tried one

I get you. Sorry, no idea. I'm RH so the thought of doing anything LH seems wierd!

18" would be pretty cool.

Does anyone have like a formula or table showing velocities out of 18, 20, 22 etc barrels?

Ive heard there can be unburned powder shooting out of the barrel at 18"... Is that true?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you're against it on ergonomic or economic grounds, why not go with an AICS so you do away with the need for bedding the stock? </div></div>

Ive never been too fond of the design of that stock...