• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest comparison?

Nik S

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Beginning to take a hard look at a new .308.

I'm used to the 60-70 degree bolt throws of Sako TRG and a Tikka CTR, and prefer 60 over 90 degree. Just feels right to me. Those are also my point of reference.

Anyone have experience with GAP Tempest? How does that action compare with either of the above? In feel, lift, reliability, durability, construction? Any surprises about it, good or bad?

Im happy with mine, and I think it's a great action. It does have a heavier lift than a Curtis or terminus. The tempest can be a little finicky with triggers.

My tempest has a lighter bolt lift than an MPA branded Curtis Axiom I have. Both are going to be just a bit heavier than a 70 degree Tikka CTR. 90 degree actions tend to be lighter than any of these options so if that matters to you try an Impact or Defiance before you buy.

One nice thing about the Tempest is you can use trigger hangers and it will come factory DLC'd. Bolt will likely wear off some of the DLC with initial use because they dont work the action before coating. Downside is it will be a little more costly.

Bolt disassembly is simple and can be done without a tool by twisting the bolt shrowd. Comes with the round ball bolt handle. I personally like them but I know it is a turn off for some people.

Mine came with an extended aliminum rail, I prefer an integrated rail milled as one piece with the action body. Buts that more of a personal preference really.

As it is the Tempest is basically the same 60 degree design as the heavy Badger M2013. It will look identical to the Mac Bros Evo action, which is a round body 90 degree action, because Mac Bros/Horizon manufactures the Tempest for GA Precision. It will fit in most Rem 700 style stocks.

Overall I like my Tempest and plan to keep it.

I've had two tempests, one I moved along because I had the below built (The project started with wanting something akin to an AI short action that could drop into a R700 inlet stock. This was before Curtis and Terminus released their QC systems). It's preferable to the tikkas I've owned. Sako still makes the smoothest action I've tried IMO, but they also come with less options available. Sako accessories, spare mags etc here are as rare as rocking horse shit and also overpriced. I prefer the action to my R7 cadex, which has a 50 degree lift (4 lug) and has never missed a beat running AW mags.

I found the tempest lift is something to adjust to, almost a 2 hitch lift when run slowly. They definitely like to be run fast. They are a bombproof action, I've found mine still runs fine when full of dust. If you don't like the swept bolt handle, it's easy enough to get swapped out for a straight one.

300518596_812231363475386_2239377969148446419_n.jpg
301998259_1223567048478553_2098689214528609641_n.jpg

I noticed that 2 hitch lift in some of the videos, but also other videos where people were running them pretty fast. Surmising from what you said that the 2 hitch kind of disappears as you run them fast.

I like the round balls of the Tikka and Sako. Imagine I would like this one. Looks a lot like an AI.

It's my favorite action. The key to a tempest is trigger setup though and it will make all the difference in your experience with it.

When/if you order one get it with all the trigger hangers. Call up bullet central and buy a bix n Andy trigger tac sport or tac sport pro in the flavor you like and tell them to give you the sear for a GAP Tempest. Pay with the hangers until you get .183 firing pin protrusion and no more than that. You will get a very light and smooth bolt lift. The rest of the bolt is basically the same as a small pin AI and will be bomb proof.

Also, take the finest grit sandpaper (10000 or so) and smooth out all the sharp edges in the breach ring. The two actions I had they were very sharp and were hard on extracting brass. This fixed that issue no problem.

If you are looking for a builder to do it right send me a PM.

Reactions: Simia Dei
I have a tempest in 7 SAUM and it's my favorite action. Very stout. I use a 2 stage timney, mile high set it up, I dont believe it took anything special to get the trigger to run. I shoot an ATX too and the tempest is much smoother/lighter (Not knocking the AI).

I've had a tempest for around 5/6 years. Never had an issue and it feeds super well with AW mags. Compared to a Sako or Tikka the bolt lift felt a little harder, but its splitting hairs. You don't notice the 2 hitch thing when you're shooting in a match or shooting faster.

Pretty well sold on this now. Seems to check every box for me. I like also that it accepts the AW mags.
Looks very nice. Also had a chance to handle a Defiance Tenacity today at the range. Very solid. Though manufactured by different companies, my impression is the Tempest shares some DNA.

Going to spec out a .308 around the Tempest.

Reactions: 3rdfocal
Beginning to take a hard look at a new .308.

I'm used to the 60-70 degree bolt throws of Sako TRG and a Tikka CTR, and prefer 60 over 90 degree. Just feels right to me. Those are also my point of reference.

Anyone have experience with GAP Tempest? How does that action compare with either of the above? In feel, lift, reliability, durability, construction? Any surprises about it, good or bad?
Since you like the tikka/trg have you considered the SOTIC?