• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Templar V2 actions ?

ChrisF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2002
New Zealand
Hi Guys ,

Just want to hear from guys running the newer Templar V2 actions & the 10rd AW magazines , in particular , how well do they feed from the mag ?

Cheers Chris

For reference, I believe the Templar V2 is a Defiance Deviant. Might give you more data points.

I put this up , as Lowlight said in another thread that the 2 lug Rem700 tyoe actions running the AW mag are not reliable , just trying to get some more info reguarding that before ordering ?

Cheers Chris

I don't know. I've got one on order, but I'm going to be using an XLR carbon chassis, which uses AI mags.

I have 4 and they all run great with an AW mag, most issues I have seen have been with guys who want to run both aw and aics mags. The mag catch needs to be fit for the mag, so you either run the AW or the AICS magazine. Once the mag catch is fit to the appropriate magazine the gun should run great.

If you are just laying down and shooting they seem to be fine. Where you run into problems is when you get the mag dirty and are shooting off barricades or anything else that you may be putting pressure on the mag. If each round doesn't come up into the feedlips perfectly the bolt isn't going to catch the round. AW mags were designed around a 3 lug action, which has a lug sticking down at 6 o'clock to catch the round. With a 700 clone there is very little contact with the bolt and the rounds when in the mag.

Just to make this clear, if my Deviant is cut for AW mags I should run AW's or would I be better off running AI mags period?

Unless Im off the reservation here, my understanding is an action that's cut to take AW mags, means it has been machined to allow feeding from the double stack magazine, both the feed ramp and also the guide rails have been altered to allow this. Most 'normal or 'non AW cut' actions have unaltered feed ramps and guide rails to allow center feeding from both internal magazines or the single stack AICS mags.

At least that's my simplistic take on it.

cheers,

JJ

Hi Guys ,

Just want to hear from guys running the newer Templar V2 actions & the 10rd AW magazines , in particular , how well do they feed from the mag ?

Cheers Chris

I have had no issues whatsoever. I have used the AW magazines fully loaded with 10 rounds, 5 rounds, 1 round and for competitions one round resting on top of the magazine inside the action (single load only rule). They work great and I like the smaller profile top to bottom.

As for barricade shooting, I am not sure if that person is using the rifle correctly. I would never rest my rifle on the magazine. That is why they have skid plates. For example, here is one from SO TECH: Tactical Long Rifle
You would simply rest the rifle on the stock, not the magazine. Please note I am not a SO TECH salesman. Thank you.

I have had no issues whatsoever. I have used the AW magazines fully loaded with 10 rounds, 5 rounds, 1 round and for competitions one round resting on top of the magazine inside the action (single load only rule). They work great and I like the smaller profile top to bottom.

As for barricade shooting, I am not sure if that person is using the rifle correctly. I would never rest my rifle on the magazine. That is why they have skid plates. For example, here is one from SO TECH: Tactical Long Rifle
You would simply rest the rifle on the stock, not the magazine. Please note I am not a SO TECH salesman. Thank you.

I don't think he meant resting the rifle on the mag. Most guys jam the magazine against the barricade to try and get stability.

I don't think he meant resting the rifle on the mag. Most guys jam the magazine against the barricade to try and get stability.

You know I have never done that myself, even in 3-Gun competitions. Also, a US Marine told me that you never want to have "hard on hard", to always have the rifle against your arm or rest of some kind.

Besides, upsetting the natural orientation of a magazine can mess up the feeding in any magazine fed weapon, right?

You know I have never done that myself, even in 3-Gun competitions. Also, a US Marine told me that you never want to have "hard on hard", to always have the rifle against your arm or rest of some kind.

Besides, upsetting the natural orientation of a magazine can mess up the feeding in any magazine fed weapon, right?

The issue is in the competitions when you have to run to a barricade and your heart rate is up and you are breathing hard, it is very hard to stay on a small target at distance with just the forearm of the rifle on the barricade and you supporting the rest of the rifle. You need to do something to stabilize the rifle.

Sure it can, but if you can't get a steady sight picture whats it a matter? I don't have issues with the AI mag when doing this. It seems to always feed.

They work perfect if the latch is tuned for the AW mag, If the latch is not tuned for the AW mags they will not work correctly. I have shot thousands of rounds at comps with a AW mag without issues.

Reactions: chevy327

Any 2 points of contact beats the heck out of one point of contact. My magazine is used all the time as a point of contact.

I only have the intention of running one type of mag , ie the AW mag , I posted this , as Lowlight basically said all rem700 type actions running AW mags where not reliable ,

Later Chris