• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tenabrax scope covers

Re: Tenabrax scope covers

Wondering the same thing, as they are around 20 bucks on SWFA site for my USO scope, vs much more for the USO ARD.

Well, bought the 18 dollar (plus 11 dollars shipping) tenebraex ARD from SWFA for my USO SN3 . Overcast today. Wasn't impressed with the overall brightness or clarity with the ARD installed. Quickly removed it and went on shooting 550 yard clay pigeons again. Will try it again when shooting into the sun before making a final decision whether it is useless or not...

I have found that it just makes things darker. I got one with my Vortex Razor and have just gone to not useing it at all.

I have them on S&B 4-16x42, makes the image darker, but also less sharp. Still worth it if you want to prevent reflections.

Got an ARD with my Razor HD.

As stated, makes image darker and blurry. I just use the sunshade when the sun is at an angle which can cause glare.

ARD's have their place and are very useful for their intended purpose.

One needs to understand that there two separate products families that Tenebraex produces.
The Kill Flash Line:
4420183144_4806ffa8eb_o.jpg

And the Sun Guard Line:
437559.jpg

Tenebraex Kill Flash devices are marketed solely to the Military / Law Enforcement markets where glint off of the objective lens of a scope could cost a life.
The holes in the face of the ARD are larger and thus allow more light into the optic.
The ARD is longer in order to compensate for the larger holes.
For the most part, these devices can be purchased by anyone, but Tenebraex company policy is that they are for Military / LE sales only.
(IMO, the Kill Flash is a much better product and is worth the extra money.)

Tenebraex Sun Guard devices are marketed to the hunting market.
The design is intended to eliminate glare that a hunter might experience when making a shot into the sun.
They mount under the flip up cover on the objective lens so that they are less intrusive.

I use ARDs on all of my optics and have been using them for many years.
Here are the reasons to use an ARD:
- Eliminates glint off of the objective that might give away your position or spook the game you are pursuing.
- Eliminates any glare or reticle wash out that one would encounter when shooting into the sun.
- Protects the objective lens from physical damage.
- Keeps water off of the objective lens when operating in the rain.
- Reduces eye fatigue during long periods of observation by having the same effect as quality sunglasses.

Here are the reasons to not use an ARD:
- They will limit the amount of light permitted to enter the optic.
(~ 15% in the case of the Kill Flash)

To me, the benefits of having ARDs on my optics has far outweighed the draw backs.
If I am in a low light situation, it only takes a couple seconds to remove the ARD.
As far as the impact it has on the clarity of the optic, this is arguably a perceived issue brought on by the noticeable decrease in light transmission.
In fact, by only allowing light to enter via a straight on attitude, clarity is often enhanced due to a rudimentary polarization effect.

I thought this would be about the Tenebraex covers like come with the premier's. Those things rock, I wish they would make them in a style like BC's to slip over the ocular and objective. By far the best quality scope covers I've ever used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this would be about the Tenebraex covers like come with the premier's. Those things rock, I wish they would make them in a style like BC's to slip over the ocular and objective. By far the best quality scope covers I've ever used. </div></div>
Like this:
824434.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/824434/...objective-matte

Yup, Tenebraex makes those...

No eyepiece covers yet though!!!
frown.gif