• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terrapin X.

rfcompton

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2020
Looking for a good rangefinder and from my reading here, this one look great. Any bad reviews? Also any good place to buy a new one?

Thx

Looking for a good rangefinder and from my reading here, this one look great. Any bad reviews? Also any good place to buy a new one?

Thx
Ive played with lots of cheaper range finders, not that they were in the $1800 new price range like the terrapin, all just $800 and under.

My terrapin works really well and i like the 8x. My complaints are its size, the ranging button needs to be held down if you want multiple ranges in a short time, otherwise it goes through its menu if you click the button more than once every 10 seconds. I feel like it could use a second button for menu. For $1800 i feel like it should have brighter glass, seriously. My buddys $600 vortex is brighter..... by a lot.

I am not an elr guy, i am more of a hunter, but wanted something durable and could give me distances farther than cheap range finders. I would say its a good range finder, but to me its not worth 1800 new, prob more like $1,000, but what do i know.

Reactions: Nik H
From personal experience with all three, I don't think it is better as a rangefinder than the Sig Kilo 3000BDX or Leica 3200.com binoculars. I agree it is a bit slow and the one button interface is annoying. I would definitely buy one of the military PLRFs if I could afford it, but I think the Terrapin X doesn't represent a great value.

Hmm maybe the Leica Geovid 3200.com would be a better choice at this price point. Was looking at the Wilcox raptar but i guess it does not have angle/height built in.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe the Leica Geovid 3200.com would be a better choice at this price point. Was looking at the Wilcox raptar but i guess it does not have angle/height built in.
The older leica my buddy has is DARK, but its 6yo and dated tech. I would want to look through one first.

I recommend them. The glass is excellent. My only complaint is that I'd prefer a 12x or 15x option.

The laser is smaller than most anything sub $2k.

I’ve used all the sig, vortex, and leica products. The newest leica is the only one that can hit targets as consistently as the terrapin. Sig and vortex all come up short when ranging small or very far targets. At most matches there’s always a target or two guys can’t hit with their stuff and I’m able to hit it on first try.

When paired with a garmin AB, the combo is just about perfect for matches or hunting.

The single button is slightly inconvenient. But you just hold it to go into scan mode and not worry with the menu. I do wish there was also a button press combo that would turn the power off and on.

Unless you’re looking for an all in one bino/lrf, if you can afford the terrapin and you’ll use it often, you’ll likely be happy with it.

Reactions: Criver600
Any issues with pairing to a Kestrel 5700 4DOF? I have seen threads with issues on all of them.

Just got my Terr X and have been running it with my Kestrel Elite. The X ranges very well, can get accurate ranges first time holding by hand out to 2400+ yards plus on trees or other non reflective targets. The single button took a few times to get used to but it is intuitive once you run it a few times. Glass is also decent. Have the new Swaro NL Pure 12x42's and it isnt in that class but it close. Only issue I have is when running PRS the system drops its bluetooth connection quickly. Have to reconnect on each stage. Other than that I would say very happy with the performance.

Any issues with pairing to a Kestrel 5700 4DOF? I have seen threads with issues on all of them.

The kestrel BT sucks. No two ways about it. I’ve had issues with leica and terrapin connections. Now that I use garmin watch, connection is great with devices.

Most of the issues you hear about come from kestrel connection. I don’t personally know anyone who keeps anything connected to their kestrel reliably.

Reactions: uscbadger
Ya thats what seems to be the theory atm. The kestrel side BT is the issue. Is there a Hide friendly place to buy a Terrapin from?

I rarely see them on sale. Call eurooptic. They might be able to do something.

The Terrapin X is ok, I agree with @Jgunner on all points. I had an old Terrapin, and while it was slow to get you a range, it was light years ahead of the new one for hitting small targets and distance. I wish I would have never sold it, even if it crapped out and wasn't fixable.

The laser is smaller than most anything sub $2k.

I’ve used all the sig, vortex, and leica products. The newest leica is the only one that can hit targets as consistently as the terrapin. Sig and vortex all come up short when ranging small or very far targets. At most matches there’s always a target or two guys can’t hit with their stuff and I’m able to hit it on first try.

When paired with a garmin AB, the combo is just about perfect for matches or hunting.

The single button is slightly inconvenient. But you just hold it to go into scan mode and not worry with the menu. I do wish there was also a button press combo that would turn the power off and on.

Unless you’re looking for an all in one bino/lrf, if you can afford the terrapin and you’ll use it often, you’ll likely be happy with it.
I would absolutely agree with this. The added feature I like is that it "talks" to my Kestrel. One button push on the Terrapin, and the Kestrel has the range.

But the interface is poor, I will agree. Although to be fair, it is a much better performer then the Sig-2k that it replaced.

After having 2 range finders not being able to range a coyote at 700 yards or 350 yards(no idea what the fuck happened) i went with the next option. We will see if it does the trick or is an expensive mistake.

After having 2 range finders not being able to range a coyote at 700 yards or 350 yards(no idea what the fuck happened) i went with the next option. We will see if it does the trick or is an expensive mistake.
Attach some metal to that 'yote!

Reactions: Jgunner
Are you talking about the LRF (3500) or the binos (3200)?

The 3500 is the one I had. It’s return us faster than terrapin and the beam is the same size. That being said, I personally had better luck on first round ranges with the terrapin.

The 3500 is the one I had. It’s return us faster than terrapin and the beam is the same size. That being said, I personally had better luck on first round ranges with the terrapin.
Do you usually use it freehand or do you have it mounted to a tripod?

I have a cheap LRF but it works remarkably well when mounted to my RRS tripod. Much better than free hand

Do you usually use it freehand or do you have it mounted to a tripod?

I have a cheap LRF but it works remarkably well when mounted to my RRS tripod. Much better than free hand

I hardly every try to range freehand. Part of it is I’m used to the terrapin and likely hadn’t figured out exactly where on the reticle works best for the leica.

Reactions: Nik H
At the price, the Leica is a good value but it is not compatible with the Garmin and I plan to pick that up first.

It is too bad as it would be the one for me but I like the Garmin for a variety of reasons in addition to the ballistic capability

Yea i am not so much worried about price. I would like to get as cheap as i can of course :) My main concern is reliability, accuracy, connection to Kestrel, and distance to 2000m ish.

Most anything connected to kestrel is going to be iffy at best. I’ve had two terrapin-x and a Leica 3500. The connection to kestrel was irritating.

Haven’t had an issue with terrapin connected to garmin AB watch.

I've had the Terrapin-X for a couple of days now connected to the Garmin Foretrex 701. The laser itself is top notch within the eye-safe realm. The interface needs some work in my opinion. The one button interface is frustrating. Also the communication with the Foretrex isn't fully thought through.

The Terrapin-X transmits "no reading" as 0m to the Garmin. This can be frustrating if you're trying to hit a difficult target. Usually in those situations I use scan mode, and slightly shift my aiming point in between measurments. Trying to "thread the needle". That technique becomes useless because it measures every ~0.5s, so if I get a reading, its instantly replaced with "0m" from the next mearurement.

Taking one reading at the time requires You to wait 4s between each measurement. That might not seem like long, but it gets tedious very quickly.
I tried to mitigate this with the "range gating"-feature, but it has no effect. If set to 100m I still end up with:
1-99m =no data transmitted,
100m+ = actual range transmitted,
"no reading" = 0m transmitted.

Also it only transmits range to the Garmin, but it transmits range, inclination and azimuth to the Kestrel. I'm guessing thats a problem on the Garmin side of things. I love the Foretrex, and sure hope Garmin hasn't left it behind.

Positive note on Vectronix's warranty though. The first unit I received refused to update its firmware. After informing their customer support they told me to return it to my vendor, and I would receive another one, no problem. I then got one that was already updated.

All that said, I'm returning it and hoping a better alternative will come along.
*looking at You, Leica :)

It’s pretty easy to get a range in scan mode. I do it all the time with the garmin AB watch

It’s pretty easy to get a range in scan mode. I do it all the time with the garmin AB watch
But does it show 0m on the Garmin AB watch if the Terrapin doesn't get a reading?
Its easy to test, just fire the laser into the sky.

But does it show 0m on the Garmin AB watch if the Terrapin doesn't get a reading?
Its easy to test, just fire the laser into the sky.

I have no idea and it doesn’t matter as long as the range I want ends up on the watch.

I also had a T-X that wouldn't register or update. I was told to return it for a new unit. Eurooptic sent me a shipping label and said they would send me a new unit when they received mine. I told them I would hold on to it until after first season Antelope this coming weekend. So they just sent the new unit in advance so I didn't have to wait. Pretty awesome customer service.

I owned that Terripan for 2 years. After owning an older Terripan. Everything said above about the interface, reduced range, BT connection to the 5700 is true, but in my eyes it's the best thing going right now. I used that T-X and 5700 mounted next to each other for every match, hunting, and pretty much anything with a rifle. Combining the HUD with that combo is really trick. I pretty much lase every target at matches. I started because MDs were using crappy LRFs and giving questionable ranges, but then it became habit. And then it just became the easiest way to enter a range in the Kestrel. I'm really looking forward to linking the T-X with the Garmin watch.

All that said, if someone came out with a 10 or 12x Bino with as good a laser and a reticle I would like to try that.

Same. Frequently get questionable ranges or “I think it’s xxx yds” after ranging with their lrf. Not confident at all.

But the t-x is very reliable and I’m very confident with its ranging.

Same. Frequently get questionable ranges or “I think it’s xxx yds” after ranging with their lrf. Not confident at all.

But the t-x is very reliable and I’m very confident with its ranging.

What's the farthest you been able to ping steel with it? 1.5 MOA target @ 2000 yards into the sun doable?

We're having the same problem with the Sig 3000BDX's that it doesn't like ranging small targets and at the NF ELR Match this was painfully obvious

Totally doable. I get first reads out past 2k on steel in direct sun here in TX. Biggest issue I have is ranging free hand. From a tripod it is dead on 2k+ everytime. On a 1.5 MOA target doing without is tough due to stability but it still can be done.

It should be doable. Issue at those distances will be stability and beam size.

The only way to be sure at those distances is going to be the higher dollar lasers like the Plrf25c

The kestrel BT sucks. No two ways about it. I’ve had issues with leica and terrapin connections. Now that I use garmin watch, connection is great with devices.

Most of the issues you hear about come from kestrel connection. I don’t personally know anyone who keeps anything connected to their kestrel reliably.
I've read/heard that the 5700X has better BT capability. True?

I've read/heard that the 5700X has better BT capability. True?

No idea. I haven’t tried one. And currently I use the garmin AB watch + terrapin as my primary dope. My 5700 elite is now my backup. So I have no current plans to try a 5700x.

No idea. I haven’t tried one. And currently I use the garmin AB watch + terrapin as my primary dope. My 5700 elite is now my backup. So I have no current plans to try a 5700x.
What are you doing for wind? Just calling it? I’m just curious as I’m looking for a solid setup. Love the idea of the Garmin watch. It’s a shame it doesn’t pair better with the Kestrels.

What are you doing for wind? Just calling it? I’m just curious as I’m looking for a solid setup. Love the idea of the Garmin watch. It’s a shame it doesn’t pair better with the Kestrels.

I only use kestrel for wind on very high wind or very switchy days (even when I used kestrel as my primary data).

Needing a wind meter for most wind calls is a crutch that many people have fallen into.

I only use kestrel for wind on very high wind or very switchy days (even when I used kestrel as my primary data).

Needing a wind meter for most wind calls is a crutch that many people have fallen into.
I don’t disagree with you. I was able to get on steel on my second shot at 1000 yards a couple of weekends ago. But, I wouldn’t complain about getting first round hits at that range, either. Just need more practice.