• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tesla Charging Stations...

The orange colored one is a 800V 26kw DC charger, the box in the second picture belongs to it. The right small charger is a 400V AC version, charges 11kw and if the vehicle is equipped with an optional additional unit it will charge with 22kw . The big orange beast still needs about 6h to charge a Tacan battery, depending on version and option even longer.
I prefer to stay as far away as possible from the DC charger….this thing just scares the heck out of me.
Wut ?

The thought of an 800 Volt DC Bolted Fault makes your upper lip sweaty ? :unsure:

weenie........:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Schütze
The technology is improving at a very rapid rate and a lot of the problems with battery life and various dangers regarding the battery pack are getting rapidly improved.

At this point however I think it's safe to say that if you want a full EV, right now, you are best served by only doing so if you can buy a brand-new current year model and plan to trade it in before the end of the extended factory warranty you buy with it.

Or if you want to play around and see how they are and have a bit of disposable income, you can often get a high end used Tesla with a couple years of use and sub 30k miles or such for 60% of the original value. (The cheap ones you don't get much discount used, but you want a $120k model, good chance you can get it for $70k).

If you want a good education on the state of the latest models, and the latest charging stuff:

The 2023 models for most better brands are vastly different than the ones from 4 years ago.
Maybe in 10-15 years, I’ll see what it looks like. If I want to play with it now, I’ll convert my 66 bug to electric. Couple of companies make kits for it, or used to anyway

Ok, so I’m doing a little research to see what makes sense from a solar panel perspective. A coworker of mine just got a bank of panels installed and he completed his first month of output. Summer in northern Illinois got him 1700Kwh. According to the link I provided, they’re saying 3 to 4Kwh per mile for the standard Tesla driving moderately in normal temperatures. By these estimates, his $25k solar panel array will “give” him 400-450 “free” miles a month for his $55k car. Do these figures sounds correct?

Maybe in 10-15 years, I’ll see what it looks like. If I want to play with it now, I’ll convert my 66 bug to electric. Couple of companies make kits for it, or used to anyway

That would probably be way more enjoyable than buying anything new.
Plus having built it yourself, if anything goes wrong you know what parts to rip out and replace.

If you find yourself with spare time and money, you should give it a try and video it all, you might even be able to make a bit of money with monetized videos on Youtube of your build progress.

That's the kind of stuff folks really like watching as it's fun, original and interesting.

Ok, so I’m doing a little research to see what makes sense from a solar panel perspective. A coworker of mine just got a bank of panels installed and he completed his first month of output. Summer in northern Illinois got him 1700Kwh. According to the link I provided, they’re saying 3 to 4Kwh per mile for the standard Tesla driving moderately in normal temperatures. By these estimates, his $25k solar panel array will “give” him 400-450 “free” miles a month for his $55k car. Do these figures sounds correct?

I think you have the numbers backwards

Their Tesla should be getting about 4 miles per KWh

I drive a big rectangle box and 1700 KWh would get me about 4500 miles, so they should get closer to 7000 miles
(I get 2.6 miles to 3 miles per KWh depending on my driving style and if I draft a truck or not), for a commute mix of 66% highway 33% city.

That being said there is a bit of a conversion loss when charging the vehicle so the numbers may vary.

Yes, I screwed that up. I’m not for or against the idea, just trying to run the numbers to do a real world cost analysis. I got real familiar with KWhs last winter so we were spitballing. To keep my new 36x44 garage at 48 degrees with heavy insulation/radiant floor heat/new 100% efficient electric boiler, I peaked at 3,200KWh for the month of February. I can’t imagine the numbers for a house running 68 degrees and having the clothes dryer and oven on electric as well.

@W54/XM-388

Will definitely give it some thought. I’d have to at least document the whole process for my sake. Making some extra cash from it would be a good bonus.

Yes, I screwed that up. I’m not for or against the idea, just trying to run the numbers to do a real world cost analysis. I got real familiar with KWhs last winter so we were spitballing. To keep my new 36x44 garage at 48 degrees with heavy insulation/radiant floor heat/new 100% efficient electric boiler, I peaked at 3,200KWh for the month of February. I can’t imagine the numbers for a house running 68 degrees and having the clothes dryer and oven on electric as well.

You must have had a pretty cold winter.
Here the winters are usually not so cold that you can't use a heat pump.
Running a Heat Pump (your AC in reverse) saves a lot of money on the heating bills.

I’m curious what the electric bill would be running these 240/100amp chargers. I mistakenly installed a “100% efficient” electric boiler for my radiant floor heating in my new insulated garage and was hit with $450-$500/month electric bills just to keep the temp above 48 degrees. Add an electric car charging in the garage and I would assume I’d be looking at $1000 electric bills.
Burning natural gas to charge a car battery.... Perhaps, use the battery charger to heat your house....;)

BOISE – On September 27th, 2022, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) announced that the Idaho Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Deployment Plan required under the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program was approved for implementation. There is now $4,425,511 in funds available to Idaho to strategically deploy EV charging infrastructure and to establish an interconnected network to facilitate data collection, access, and reliability. For the Fiscal Years 2022-2026, Idaho is expected to receive just under $30 million through the NEVI Formula Program. A portion of the FY22 funding will be used to conduct a siting, access, and feasibility study to guide EV fast charger buildout.

My sister in Germany recently told me they are supplying every fire station in Germany with a special steel container
( only way to get the Fire out I’m told, sealed container >no oxygen).No idea how they get a burning ev in these, but costs for the new needed „infrastructure” is higher than everyone imagined I thinks. And this is just a small example nobody thought off .
It's an electrical fire plus organic combustibles. It's not rocket science how to put that shit out. In the USN we dealt with 4180V AC power mains.

If the EV is so much more economical......
The Emporia Level 2 EV charger also has some fancy features. It’s Energy Star-rated, so it could consume up to 40% less energy when in standby mode. A nifty phone app allows an Ev owner to take advantage of off-peak electricity pricing by scheduling charging.
Why is there so much advertising about all of the energy saving features of this charger ?
Am I missing some sort of hokus pokus about charging a battery ?

two of these attached to either side of your tesla and you could power your car sorry honey you and the kids have a job to do if you wanna see your mother this Christmas .

• Haha
Reactions: NoDopes
What I have found out is that most things are simply not rated to draw sustained power long term.
You might be only pulling 16A from your 20A rated 240V setup but you do that for 6+ hours in 100+ degree weather and you better have thermal trip protection on your device plugs.

You get the bigger 22A to 40A chargers and folks plug them into a 30A or 50A dryer socket and 8 hours later things may not look pretty, especially after repeated use when the heating & cooling starts causing issues with resistance in the socket / plug.

Now you throw in something like a 10-30 to 6-20 adapter or a 10-30 to 14-50 adapter made in China and things get all kinds of spicy.

Receptacles are rated for their max current capacity. Buy UL listed devices and you can run them all day every day.

They do wear out, but that's generally from corrosion and loss of tension on the receptacle side from constant plugging and unplugging.

Of course, some people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them the reason their cords fall out of the 15A receps across their house is because they're worn out. They can't fathom that they're worn out if they'll still work a little bit.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Receptacles are rated for their max current capacity. Buy UL listed devices and you can run them all day every day.

That's actually not exactly straightforwardly correct.

The ratings on plugs and connectors generally are NOT rated for continuous load at their advertised number, that's the intermittent or short term load number.

The electrical codes require that you derate by 20% for sustained continuous load.

That's actually not exactly straightforwardly correct.

The ratings on plugs and connectors generally are NOT rated for continuous load at their advertised number, that's the intermittent or short term load number.

The electrical codes require that you derate by 20% for sustained continuous load.

You'd have a heart attack if you knew how many 50A Cali connectors I have running 65A heaters 24/7 all winter on 70A breakers.

It is correct to de-rate to 80% for continuous loads. Completely out of my control when it's a receptacle and not a hardwired, so I assume the customers abuse them regularly.

• Haha
Reactions: atomic41
Why? Are you all embracing the EV BS?
Because it can not financially "stand alone" and support it's own industry. The entire Go Green arena is is supported by "other's".
A wind turbine never produces enough energy to offset the cost of energy to build and install it.

Reactions: AustinP69
C'mon man!
No! Go sniff some little girlies.

Because it can not financially "stand alone" and support it's own industry. The entire Go Green arena is is supported by "other's".
A wind turbine never produces enough energy to offset the cost of energy to build and install it.
Exactly. So why in the hell are some in this thread wanting to put in infrastructure to their house for this nonsense? Your catering to them.

Exactly. So why in the hell are some in this thread wanting to put in infrastructure to their house for this nonsense? Your catering to them.
Honestly, that is a good question.
Historically when I am presented with a good question with no answers I fall back to my standard reply.. "Follow the Money".

R.cf494cd085e7475e80e945b7a3fd3434

I’m curious what the electric bill would be running these 240/100amp chargers. I mistakenly installed a “100% efficient” electric boiler for my radiant floor heating in my new insulated garage and was hit with $450-$500/month electric bills just to keep the temp above 48 degrees. Add an electric car charging in the garage and I would assume I’d be looking at $1000 electric bills.
But you would be saving the planet….

Ah hahhahaha…

Fashion statements cost money, pure and simple. EV’s are the 2020 version of Rolex Daytona, Gucci bag, Armani suit and a BMW 7-series. All those cost plenty to make a statement 35 years ago.

Bummer about the radiant floor… those generally are really good!

Sirhr

Ah hahhahaha…

Fashion statements cost money, pure and simple. EV’s are the 2020 version of Rolex Daytona, Gucci bag, Armani suit and a BMW 7-series. All those cost plenty to make a statement 35 years ago.

Sirhr

I think for the floor it really depends on where you are, I really don't understand it at all. I know a guy up in Montana and he has his hanger heated with "hot water running through his floor". And it is nice. When I was building my small shop I had it in the budget to do that as well, but was talked out of it. They said the ground here is very cold and that thing will be running 24x7 just to keep up. The electric bill will be insane. But what about...... I am just telling you what I have seen. Ok.

I ended up not doing it and I second guess myself every day it is cold out there. The concrete just soaks up the cold and moves it into your feet making you cold. Does not matter what boots you have your feet get cold. You can be fine outside standing in the snow, but on that floor in 5 minutes your feet are freezing.

I also thought about doing it in the bathroom (with electric) when I redid the floor in there. Again scared away by the electric costs.

I think in SOME instances it will work. Back when the wife and I lived in town she worked roughly 1 mile from the house. An electric car would work fine for her. I worked about 10 miles from home. If my job did not have me driving all over the state of MO and KS every day it would have worked there as well. In some places it would work. I even thought about getting one of those little "triangle" battery cars from the 70's and fixing it up, I think it would be fun.

But it is not the answer to all questions, and it is NOT good for the planet. I would make a case it is far WORSE for the planet with the mining and child labor required to get all the little components for your electric car.

Reminds me of Hollyweard types flying to some south american shit hole to stop building a dam because it will ruin the planet. Too bad it would also give the people within thousands of square miles good quality water and power. It gets stopped, and they hop on their jets that burn 500 gal of jet fuel per hour and drink their bottle water on the way back to CA, all while the people they just left die of dysentery. They do care so much.

This was the little car I wanted to find and fix up. I think it would have been fun.

I think in SOME instances it will work. Back when the wife and I lived in town she worked roughly 1 mile from the house. An electric car would work fine for her. I worked about 10 miles from home. If my job did not have me driving all over the state of MO and KS every day it would have worked there as well. In some places it would work. I even thought about getting one of those little "triangle" battery cars from the 70's and fixing it up, I think it would be fun.

But it is not the answer to all questions, and it is NOT good for the planet. I would make a case it is far WORSE for the planet with the mining and child labor required to get all the little components for your electric car.

Reminds me of Hollyweard types flying to some south american shit hole to stop building a dam because it will ruin the planet. Too bad it would also give the people within thousands of square miles good quality water and power. It gets stopped, and they hop on their jets that burn 500 gal of jet fuel per hour and drink their bottle water on the way back to CA, all while the people they just left die of dysentery. They do care so much.

This was the little car I wanted to find and fix up. I think it would have been fun.

Walking or cycling would be best for those scenarios, kind of like a lot of the Europeans do.

Ah hahhahaha…

Sirhr
Just to update my energy situation…. I’m currently running my new propane boiler from November and haven’t used all of the extra 400 gallons I added to my contract. So even with the Biden market increasing propane costs ($2.00/gal), I got 5 months of heating at a higher temp compared to 2 months of electric heating at an 8 degree lower temp. Yay electric!

Walking or cycling would be best for those scenarios, kind of like a lot of the Europeans do.
Not here. Even in a "good" area and changing your shoes to something comfortable vs what women usually wear. Business casual does not lend itself to walking to work a mile away when it is 98F outside and 98% humidity. And it is that way about three months out of the year. Then there is rain, snow.......did I mention it was up hill.....both ways.

• Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr
Not here. Even in a "good" area and changing your shoes to something comfortable vs what women usually wear. Business casual does not lend itself to walking to work a mile away when it is 98F outside and 98% humidity. And it is that way about three months out of the year. Then there is rain, snow.......did I mention it was up hill.....both ways.
When I was 10 YO I walked 3 miles one way to buy a box of Wildcats for my single-shot 22 bolt gun. For some reason summer didn't seem as hot and the walk didn't seem very long. Maybe AC has made me weak?
But, hey, it was 60 years ago and my memory ain't what it used to be.
Mom grew up in the country. They piped in sunshine, chopped cotton with a hoe, wore dresses made from flour sacks and walked 5 miles to school every day rain, shine, sleet or snow. But, luckily for her, they did get three weeks off every fall to pick the cotton by hand.