• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Test Vest

HumpHammrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Boone,North Carolina, US of A
In the early 80's I worked with DOC and was assigned to PERT. Eventually I saved my money and bought a Safariland Concealible Vest. The vest was manufactured 12/84 and I bought it in 1985. After leaving DOC the vest stayed in the closet. Yesterday I decided to take the 25 year old vest to the range to see what it would stop. Not being as brave as Richard Davis, I layed the vest on the range backstop. Shots were fired from approx. 2 feet, muzzle to panel.
This is the panels before testing. The ink on the label had partially faded but as best I can remember it was a Threat Level IIIA vest. The next label indicates that the seal had held and no moisture had gotten into the vest.
100_0764_edited.jpg

100_0765_edited.jpg

Test weapons were a:
.25ACP Baby Browning
.38 Spl Taurus M85
9mm Glock G26
9mm Glock G34
.45ACP Colt Govt
The first series of shots were into the back panel with:
.25ACP FMJ
.38 Spl Glazer Safety Slug
.38 Spl Winchester 110 Gr Silvertip
9mm Speer 124 Gr Gold Dot (Glock G26)
9mm Winchester 115 FMJ (Glock G26)
100_0774_edited.jpg

The nest series were into the front panel with:
9mm Speer 124 Gr Gold Dot (Glock G34)
9mm Winchester 115 Gr FMJ (Glock G34)
.45ACP Winchester 230 gr JHP
100_0773_edited.jpg

After the shots were fired I cut the sealed plastic cover to expose the vest. Both panels are made up of 10 layers of Kevlar.
100_0771_edited.jpg

The single round that penetrated the most was the 115 FMJ fired from the Glock G34. 3 full layers and almost the 4th.
100_0772_edited.jpg

Not a very scientific test by any means. All rounds were stopped but what would the blunt force trauma have been? I'm not saying a 25 year old vest should be relied on for protecting your life but then again, a 25 year old vest would be better than nothing.

Re: Test Vest

have access to a 357sig ?

great test.

Impressive! +1 on doorkicker's comments. Always good to see tests like this as opposed to the usual ballistics gel, phone books, etc.

I attended a T&E event last year with member "wvtrainer" where we spent a day using and abusing several different vests/carriers, plates and other "body armor" from a manufacturer we met and did some work with at SHOT. It was a great experience. We used everything from .22LR through 7.62 NATO and everything from pistols to SMGs to shotguns to carbines/rifles in the process. I was amazed at the performance of some of the new materials...particularly the ceramic plates against HP rifle fire.

Thanks for the post, Hammrr!

The things that kill vests the quickest are being wet, permanent creases, and heat.

So the cop that keeps his vest in the trunk is going to have a vest that ages quicker then a vest kept in a closet. If you fold your vest in half, and it develops a permanent crease, that means the fabric has changed in that area, and may no longer protect you there.

Baring those three things, vests are often good for long part their expiration date.

The old vests were mostly made out of kevlar. Heavier yes, but they don't break down nearly as fast as the newer laminate ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zack-s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a 7.62 TOK you could shoot it with? </div></div>

That is a wicked fast round and I bet you get penetration with it. Borrow a CZ52 and light it up!

This is really awsome to see the result. Thanks a lot for posting this. When I first started at my old pd I had to borrow an old vest before my new IIIA came in, and i was a little worried about it. But after seeing this I probbably had nothing to worry about! I would love to see more of these test done with heavy rounds and even rifle plates.

Great test Hammr. Very interesting results. It goes to show that with proper care the life of vests is in fact extended. That said, proper care of a vest still in date is crucial to it being a life saving device.

try a 22 mag they usualy go through with the FMj projectiles and also a 125gr 357 mag would me a must. also could you test a 223 FMJ and hollow point it would be interesting to see how the vest holds up also a 308 with match ammo?

Just intertested in how well it stops the faster peojectiles.

thanks for sharing