• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Testing .224 Hornady 53 gr V-max in the AR

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    Fresh off the UPS truck, 300 Hornady 53 gr. V-max bullets arrived today.

I have been interested in these since I first heard about Hornady making a new bullet that was designed for both shooters with slower than 9 twist rifling (yes a faster twist is ok too) and AR owners , boasting a BC of .290 G1.

I have been patiently waiting to read a user review on some of the online suppliers and/or shooting forums as to whether this bullet lived up to that .290 BC in a light to medium weight package. It just sounded too good to be true, because if it did, it just might be THE go to bullet for 16” barreled .223/5.56 carbines and other short barreled rifles that normally lack the speed to do great things at longer ranges. I have yet to find information proving or disprove the BC, which for me is the selling point on this bullet as it would have a coefficient better than any V-max or similar varmint bullet in the 50gr. to 60gr. class that I am aware of.

Those of us that are varmint hunters and/or target shooters know the wind can play havoc on shots as the distances grow greater. We have had to choose from light bullets shot as blazing speed or if we happen to own a fast twist barrel, to use a longer/heavier and hopefully higher BC bullet to decrease our time of flight and stave off as much wind defection as possible. This issue is only compounded when the rifle we drive has a 16” barrel and the magazine it loads from is restricted to cartridges shorter than 2.26 inches in length. We can use 69, 75 and 77 grain match bullets but they take up valuable powder space and may do little damage on varmints once it arrives four or five hundred yards latter. The V-max line is known for its rapid expansion. This is partly due to the thin jacket design as well as the poly tip that will either break loose reviling a larger surface area or act as a wedge accelerating expansion, the idea being that even if the impact velocity is low we should still see some expansion.

The AR I own sports a chrome lined 16” Sabre Defense 7 twist barrel and shooting a long heavy bullet (75 grain Hornady BTHP as an example) using a temperature insensitive powder I can use year around like Hodgdon’s Varget or IMR 8208. My best performing load tops out at 2530 fps, holds right around moa sized groups and isn’t to taxing on the brass. It handles the wind well enough but drops a little quicker than I’d like. Not a problem if I have time to dial in my drop for the known distance targets at the range but in the field lasering a coyote and dialing in my drop takes up time. One can always use a holdover and guess the distance and that’s all I usually have time for. In that situation the flatter the trajectory the better and this is why/where the speed cartridges like the 22-250 and 243 are a great advantage. But I want to have my cake and it eat it too, in a short and handy carbine.

Find anything interesting here yet???

Some of you are probably either thinking, good grief Jon get on with it all ready
    laugh.gif
    or your beginning to share my excitement, hopefully the latter.

Well, I am not done testing yet as I have to prove the BC still, however I was able to obtain 2975 out of my AR today. Plus I found some other interesting things out. The bullet is ~.833” long, boat-tailed and shares an ogive angle as best as I can tell closer to an A-max than the V-max’s of old. It looks very promising just from the looks of the design.

I ran a stability model on it and it would appear that at normal 223 speeds (3300 fps) you will need at least an 11 twist barrel or faster. That is unless you have a few thousand feet ASL and warm weather to help you with stability but it would still be a close call.

Left to right; 40 V-Max, 53 V-max, 60 V-max, 65 Game King, 69 SMK, 75 Hornady BTHP, 75 A-max.

53ghornady001.jpg

In my Remington Tactical I found a good node between 24.8-25 grains of IMR-8208, No crono data on that yet. The AR seemed to shoot well between 24.5 and 25.1, 25.4 was the load I crono’ed at 2975fps but I need to send more rounds over the screens before I’d feel confident about that number. But it will give you a base line for a 16” barrel and 5.56 NATO chamber. I seated to 2.251” and that bring up another point I’d like to share. The bearing surface length is about .26” long and looks like it was designed to be just long enough to be in full contact with the neck of the cartridge. Seating much deeper would likely put up into the transition between the ogive and bearing surface. The base will be down into the cartridge body but not as bad as the long bullets will. When I loaded for my Tactical I set the bullet to jump .015” to the lands and the base was just at the neck shoulder junction. So you should be able to get into the lands if you wanted to (in a Remington chamber) with more than a full caliber still in the neck for support.

Picture comparison 75 BTHP and 53 V-max at 2.250

53ghornady002.jpg

More to come as I gather range data and find the true BC.

Re: Testing .224 Hornady 53 gr V-max in the AR

Looking forward to this! Is your Remington Tactical and xcr compact by chance? I have been looking for a Bullet that is accuracy interchangable between my 7 twist 18"spr and my 9 twist Rem compact XCR, this might be a good choice.

I have wondered about the BC on the 53s as well. I'll definitely be checking back in to see what you come with.

I have a small stock pile of 55gr Vmaxs that I bought for my Swift. I may have to load them up as plinking ammo and switch to the 53s. Almost 14% increase in BC plus the possibility of slightly higher MV =
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is your Remington Tactical and xcr compact by chance? </div></div>

It's the standard SPS tactical barreled action... 1-9 twist with a 20" barrel, bedded in a manners stock and a timney go button.

I hope to have some results in the next week or two once I get the load dialed in.

I've been running the 53 vmax out of my 20" RRA predator pursuit. It's shooting great with 25g of Benchmark and clocking right at 3200 fps.

I shot the same load in my 223 AI custom with a 21" 3 groove pac nor and it also clocked just over 3200 fps and shot 1/2 moa as a fire forming load. I've ran the 50g vmax for years but I'm starting to switch to the 53.

Bb

This may be a dumb question but I thought the 75AMAX's can't be loaded to mag length (2.260"). Has anyone tried this or do you load them one at a time?

I have been using a 223Ackley with the 55VMax for about three years and last season I finally lost a coyote. Virtually all previous were bang/flop. A fair trial, but I have put it away in favor of more firepower.

In my opinion, the AR platform in 223 is marginal, for coyotes. I have to wonder if a 53 grain bullet is a reliable coyote killer, especially beyond 300 yards.

I really don't like less than 55 grain bullets for coyotes although a few match 52 and 53 grain bullets have worked well for me, but at 220Swift velocities.

After you dust a few, I'd like to hear about it. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squid284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a dumb question but I thought the 75AMAX's can't be loaded to mag length (2.260"). Has anyone tried this or do you load them one at a time?</div></div>

I can’t say I have tried it yet at mag length, but you can single load and I have done that. Seating at 2.26 would likely be beyond the transition and I can’t see any benefits in performance as the muzzle velocity would suffer.

I have a good working load in my custom 7t remington bolt rifle and should have the BC figured out within the next week. I hope to nail a coyote with it but my luck has not been holding out well. May have to settle for a crow or ground hog in the short term.

Well that’s not encouraging.

I ran some 3 shot groups through my 16” chrome lined sabre AR barrel and was getting my normal groups of about an inch +/- a tenth depending on powder charge with imr8208 but have not proceeded further until I verified the BC in the bolt to see if it would be worthwhile.

What is interesting is that every VMax I have ever used, .224, .243" and .257" has been very accurate. Between 40 gr. and 75 grain.

What sort of groups does that AR get with other bullets? BB

Orig. poster; why the interest in a high BC if you are only getting one inch groups? Just asking. BB

I'm curious if those of you posting in this thread have tried the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing? I'd like to see a comparison between the heavier V-max bullets in .223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is interesting is that every VMax I have ever used, .224, .243" and .257" has been very accurate. Between 40 gr. and 75 grain.

What sort of groups does that AR get with other bullets? BB </div></div>

The Rogue hunter is a 1 moa gun for me with Sierra 77 grain bullets and around 1.25 with most other loads. The Stealth which did just over an inch with this bullet is a .65 moa gun with Sierra 77 grain bullets.
    Pat

Try Varget..I know it's not ideal for the bullet weight but I'm using:

26.0 gr varget
    win brass
    rem 7 1/2
    2.26" oal
    Velocity at 20 deg F is right around 2950fps.

LMT MRP 18" stainless barrel, I'm getting average 1/2moa groups at 100 yards, with quite a few under 1/2moa.

I haven't shot any varmints yet but it's been pretty accurate for me so far. I've been thinking about trying some benchmark to up the velocity some, but I'm getting really good accuracy from varget it'd be hard for me to switch...

one thing I need to add is new brass in this rifle did not group very well. Using fired brass my groups improved significantly. I really didn't buy into the new brass, vs fired brass accuracy differences as my other rifles don't exibit this difference in accuracy. However, this particular rifle with new win brass doesn't match well....it might be the difference in headspace, I don't know, but I've tried it on a few outings and in this is repeatable with my particular combo.

I've been turned on to this bullet as well. It seems like it'll be just about the flattest shooting bullet around for .223 based on the BC and speeds you can crank out of it. Top that with decent wind bucking too.

I'm interested to see if the BC holds up to your testing.

Stay tuned, I got the ammo loaded. I just need to get the time to run to the distance range and test them.

Look forward to your findings. I get .4-.6" groups at 200yds with the 60gr V-max from my 1:9 16" if the BC's true with the increased velocity of these they could be the ticket.

Update: Testing .224 Hornady 53 gr V-max in the AR

<span style="font-size: 11pt">After a long wait, I finely was able to make it to the range today to test this bullet’s ballistic coefficient. Armed with my crono, range finder and handheld weather station, I plotted my drops at 405, 500 and 605. After returning home and plugging the numbers into JBM’s ballistic computer it came back as a <span style="font-weight: bold">.271 G1</span> out to 605 yards.

I did try to go for the 700 target but the combination of noise pollution from the farmer plowing the field behind me (making it impossible to hear an impact on the steel targets over the engine noise) and with the 9 o’clock wind changing velocity for just about every other shot, well it got the best of me. So I gave up shooting any further. But there you go, a BC of .271 G1 to 600 yards which is about as far as I would use this bullet anyway. So it is not quite what I had hoped for but still good and better than any other V-Max in the .224 offering or any other manufactures bullet in the 50-60 grain weight class that I am aware of. </span>

Re: Update: Testing .224 Hornady 53 gr V-max in the AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if it would work well in my 12 twist bolt gun I'll buy them by the pound </div></div>

I'd suggest you pick up a box and try them.

They work very well in my 1/12 twist 223 bolt gun; 7.5 primers, N133 powder, seated .010 off the lands, 3300fps. Farthest I've shot groups on paper with them is at 300Y and 5 shot 1/3 MOA groups are the norm. Easy first shot hits on ground squirrels out to 400Y. I've also had Sub-MOA results sending them onto a 12" x 12" AR500 plate at 750 yards.

The 53s also work very well loaded to mag length in my 24" 1/9 223 AR at 3300fps and I also have excellent luck with them in a 1/12 .22-250 sending them at 3750fps.

The 53 Vmax is my current favorite varmint bullet. I had a bunch of 50gr Vmax on hand and was planning to burn them up before switching to the 53s-- but the 53s shot so much better in my rifles at 300+ I sold off the 50s.

Re: Update: Testing .224 Hornady 53 gr V-max in the AR

Nice, thanks for your info. Still looking like a great bullet. I'm going to do a little load testing myself tomorrow
    smile.gif