• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Testing different ammo and lots and ordering that lot....

Stevo3556

Texas
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Houston, Texas
I have seen a couple other threads talking about testing and then ordering what works in large quantities, but didn't mention what sites you have found that does this. I did find a website a few months ago that did this with Lapua ammo, will try to find it again, however the three different Lapua boxes didn't shoot as well as the Eley target.

I tried about twenty different boxes of ammo, some were same company with different lot numbers and was amazed at the differences. Like finding the node with our centerfire rifles. I found Eley lot number 3116-30323 shot absolutely the best. Went to their page and found it was made a few years ago and only 200,000 were made. So the chances of finding more are slim.

I ran across the Eley public test center on the internet, closed today so no answers on what they do. I saw it is a 1.5 hour flight from my house. If they have an assortment and the ability to sell a large quantity of ammo for the magic ammo for your rifle, it might be worth a trip there.

All my wholesale distributors do not offer a select pull of lot numbers.

Questions...

Any help with places/websites that sell an assortment of ammo with enough stock that you can reorder a large amount of that ammo in the same lot number would be helpful.

Anyone familiar with the Eley testing facility in Winter Texas?
What do they do for you?
Can you go there and test?

How did you go about the testing and ordering ammo of the same lot?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Chuck.

I just looked on their site and the lot sample packs are sold out. Also tried Champion Shooters. Both are closed for the holiday, will call them tomorrow and see if/ when they might continue the samplers and then consider ordering a box of many .22's that they have quantity that could be ordered when I find the magic combination.

Hope you are having a great Labor Day.

Steve

Reactions: Just Chuck
You too,Steve. Hope you find what you’re looking for. Going to break a record here today- 100*F. Ready for the first frost!

Reactions: Stevo3556
I just looked on their site and the lot sample packs are sold out. .

Steve

Just call direct, the sample packs are always sold out on the website as they custom make up sample packs for you. Good shooting is easy to deal with and my #1 choice for rimfire ammo, I just ordered 2 cases from them this week.

Just call direct, the sample packs are always sold out on the website as they custom make up sample packs for you. Good shooting is easy to deal with and my #1 choice for rimfire ammo, I just ordered 2 cases from them this week.
Agree. I was confused by the out of stock on the site, but called them. I think they make up the sample packs periodically (maybe tied to reception of new stock?) I gave them my info and they called or emailed me back a few days later saying they had samples for me. I ordered samples, they asked I test them relatively quickly as I think they set aside enough stock that they can ship whatever I end up picking. Before they send samples they will ask how much you plan to purchase so they know how much to set aside for you.

I found them easy to deal with and friendly. Only complaint is that I think they are a two person operation and likely busy. I found calling them worked better than trying to converse via email.

Thank you both. I did call them Tuesday and talked to a very nice lady who put me on a list, about a week out. I got the same impression that they were a small outfit, that's fine. I guess I can also talk to the same person when I need to.

While I was waiting for people to call me back ect, I call my distributors and found one that said they would sell me a box or two of any ammo they had, minimum order applies, and then I could call back and order that lot number if they still had it.

I believe I will go this route. I know I will need to be fast so they don't run out of a lot number. The person there said it should not be an issue and I can shoot within a few days of rec the ammo.

I called the test facility in Winters, TX. If I remember correctly it is $30 per batch test and some ammo cos are divided into separate tests, so for Eley I believe there are two tests. Then you need to buy at least have a case of ammo, not an issue but checking their prices against retail prices off ammoseek, they are about 20% higher than retail plus tax. Guess I'm just cheap, I'll have the fun of doing it myself and saving on the many tests and high priced ammo. I'll just have to shoot more.....

I read about the Lapua test facility. From the post I read it is $50 per firearm but that is for the entire Lapua line of ammo. Also you buy Lapua ammo but through an approved dealer that has no skin in the game since you pay him and the test facility gives you the ammo. So the approved dealer negotiates the price, sure it is no over retail.

Thanks for the responses.

Steve

With Goodshooting I just order 50 or 100 rounds of a few lot #s and go from there. They seem to have the best 'normal' pricing on Center X. Shipped. If you find better, let us know. :geek:

@cab0154 - I looked at Killough Shooting and all I found was Eley ammo - no other brands. Did I miss something there?
Nope, they just have eley.
I order a box from different lots that killough has plenty of stock left for, shoot 10 rounds of each at 100, see what shoots best and then shoot 10 more of those for a sample of 20. Pick the winner and order a couple thousand of it.
4597FB6A-658F-4DB0-8171-C53E28D82B49.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Chuck
@cab0154 - I looked at Killough Shooting and all I found was Eley ammo - no other brands. Did I miss something there?

I just saw this, no you arent missing anything. But they can probably get anything eley you would want in terms of lots, or several lots to test.