• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas builder/smith

tex68w

Mister Bevilaqua
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2017
    Looking to put together parts for a shorty suppressed deer stand build. Any suggestions on which builder to use in Texas if I provide all of the parts for the build?

Roberts Precision Rifles
    West Texas Armory
    Alamo Precision

I reached out to Roberts. I know APR well, considering just grabbing one of their ready to ship sticks.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    I reached out to Roberts. I know APR well, considering just grabbing one of their ready to ship sticks.
    I have a brand new one from APR for sale in the exchange. 6.5 PRC. if youre interested

Reactions: tex68w
    Rip Precision in Leander. He does a lot of lightweight builds if you look through his social media.

Looking to put together parts for a shorty suppressed deer stand build. Any suggestions on which builder to use in Texas if I provide all of the parts for the build?
    What part of Texas? It's farther across Texas than it is from New York to Chicago.

Reactions: XP1K and spife7980
    What part of Texas? It's farther across Texas than it is from New York to Chicago.

East Central, Roberts is convenient and anything in the Austin and SA areas would work as well.

East Central, Roberts is convenient and anything in the Austin and SA areas would work as well.
    RIP would be closest in proximity, next DI, next Redbeard if you want to drive there in person and drop off and pick up in person. Robert’s may be closer than redbeard but… Houston.

South Texas Armament out of Uvalde, TX builds some REALLY nice rifles. I follow them on InstaGram, and they're really cool. I want to get them to build a .25CM for me one of these days.

Roberts.

Although, I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t just put together what they wanted themself.

Im with Spife and Crews on this.

Get something that takes prefits.
    Order to length from @AccuSol-ERN or PVA. (There may be others and them I know).
    Or a 20” Proof.

My PVA barrel is good.
    My Ern barrel is stupid good.
    Like in the .2s often and otherwise the .3s. And Im a half-ass group shooter and reloader. 🤷‍♂️
    New Proof 22” shot well last night too.
    Much better than expected, like 1/2 MOA better at 100….

You gonna do the TX thing and build a 300WM for those mouse deer? 🤣

Im an Origin liker.
    CRF is tits.

Only way to logically skip the above is to build on a pre-64 in nice walnut…😎

If the OP wants to have a rifle assembled by a highly experienced expert builder machinist- I support his choice.

Reactions: Balor and tex68w
    Roberts Precision, his work is art, his guns shoot lights out. He has done several builds for me and his stuff is fantastic.

I have no idea what his waits times are right now, but his stuff is very much worth the time and money.

Reactions: Balor and tex68w
    This will be a 16.5" 308 to run a TBAC 7 on full time for use in the deer stand on pigs, deer and Aoudad. I like the idea of someone better than myself putting it together even if that means another $1K and 2-3 months time.

Redbeard Gunworks and Roberts. Both solid guys. Both good products. Support local when it's good quality and both are top notch.

Im with Spife and Crews on this.

Get something that takes prefits.
    Order to length from @AccuSol-ERN or PVA. (There may be others and them I know).
    Or a 20” Proof.

My PVA barrel is good.
    My Ern barrel is stupid good.
    Like in the .2s often and otherwise the .3s. And Im a half-ass group shooter and reloader. 🤷‍♂️
    New Proof 22” shot well last night too.
    Much better than expected, like 1/2 MOA better at 100….

You gonna do the TX thing and build a 300WM for those mouse deer? 🤣

Im an Origin liker.
    CRF is tits.

Only way to logically skip the above is to build on a pre-64 in nice walnut…😎
    Thanks for the kind words.

To the OP, pick a complete product, DIY parts, or just services from a reputable builder and you will be happy. There are a ton of great builders out there. Keep us posted.

Ern

This will be a 16.5" 308 to run a TBAC 7 on full time for use in the deer stand on pigs, deer and Aoudad. I like the idea of someone better than myself putting it together even if that means another $1K and 2-3 months time.
    It's a TBAC Magnus-HUB, but, kinda like this...?

And you can buy these off the shelf ready to go... 16" Christensen Arms MPR .308 Win. Has the 1:10 twist for the heavies, and as you can see below, it really likes the heavies. That was a load I threw together 10 years ago for one of my other .308's and just wanted to see how well it would shoot it...Apparently it likes it.

IMG_7832.jpeg

IMG_7833.jpeg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 15:54:56.390625.jpg

It's a TBAC Magnus-HUB, but, kinda like this...?

And you can buy these off the shelf ready to go... 16" Christensen Arms MPR .308 Win. Has the 1:10 twist for the heavies, and as you can see below, it really likes the heavies. That was a load I threw together 10 years ago for one of my other .308's and just wanted to see how well it would shoot it...Apparently it likes it.

View attachment 8164562
    View attachment 8164563
    View attachment 8164564

I like this! I wish it had a metal MLOK rail, I find carbon on a sporting rifle kind of tacky, but I could get past it. Did it come in under 7lbs bare gun as advertised?

I like this! I wish it had a metal MLOK rail, I find carbon on a sporting rifle kind of tacky, but I could get past it. Did it come in under 7lbs bare gun as advertised?
    Never weighed it, honestly, but it was stupid lightweight bare out of the box with nothing on it. And even with the heavy K624i and the big Magnus can, it's still very lightweight and maneuverable.

I do recommend swapping out 2 things straight out of the box... The cheap plastic B5 grip that comes on it, and the cheap plastic magazine that comes with it. I went with the same grips I put on all my AR15's so it felt familiar, which is an Ergo Suregrip (ambi version), and an MDT 10 round .308 Win magazine without the front binder plate for longer COAL of the cartridge.

Another vote for RIP. He has built a couple rifles for me and they are both shooters!!