• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Texas Hog Hunt

cropins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Johnston City, Illinois
Does anyone have any reccommendations or experiences for any of the outfitters/ranches that promote hog hunts. There are so many its hard to sort through them.

Re: Texas Hog Hunt

We will be coming from southern IL so farther north would be prefered, but we sure don't want to drive 1000 miles just to see the sights.

Hog hunting all over the state. Take a look at the Craigslist for the area you'll be in. Tons of places and most are reasonable.

I'm south central. I'm pretty sure the hog problem is everywhere, but I know for sure it exists in my area.

East Texas. We are overrun. The Langley Ranch has some monsters. texaswildhoghunting.com

Good luck...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pitch fork</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So out of curiosity does hog meat taste the same as pig of have a wild and game taste to it? </div></div>

There are going to be lots of different options on this question. Most of the hogs in Texas are feral hogs, so technically the same as the domestic pigs that we commonly eat. How they taste has a lot to do with how/where they live, and what they eat. I think it’s a fair assumption that most will say the sows under 100# are usually the best to eat. The smaller pigs, up to 50# regardless of gender are usually good. The manner in which they are cared for after the kill can be a factor as well. No matter what, the wild hogs have much less fat than their penned up counterparts. When using wild hog meat for sausage, or anything else, you will usually need to add pork fat. Sometimes you will get one that tastes just as good as the grocery store pork, sometimes you can’t even tell the difference. Sometimes, they will just taste wild, but not bad. Larger pigs, especially the boars are usually left for coyote/buzzard food, they can be nasty. But for every rule there are exceptions. My son shot a 200# hamp boar a few weeks ago. This pig was clean, did not smell and the meat looked good. We had the processor make up some pan sausage, and dang it was good. He was the exception, usually a 200# boar will stink and be completely bug infested. You usually can’t even stand near them for any length of time, let alone try and field dress one.

Want to do something cool... Tactical Hog Control. I think the website is tacticalhogcontrol.com. First class set up. I don't know how much it is but I do not think it is bad. I have rode with him before, I know the owner and he is one on the funniest guys I have talked to. He was on an episode of Harry Bikers doing this (History chan.) Promise you will have a blast.

-Signal211

EastTexasHoghunt.jpg

We got a few hogs in late August. The small ones make great BBQ.

The tactical hog hunt looks cool seems pricey at first till you consider the equipment you are getting to use without kill limits. AfghanDM had an awesome hunt was that with tactical hog hunt?

This was at the farm. We have two areas baited with corn but they we're primarily coming in to where we feed the calves. My calf feeder sits pretty low and the pigs have torn it down twice. They really can do damage to property like nothing I've ever seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cropins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tactical hog hunt looks cool seems pricey at first till you consider the equipment you are getting to use without kill limits. AfghanDM had an awesome hunt was that with tactical hog hunt? </div></div>

Yeah once you look at all the cool stuff/ammo you are shooting it looks a lot better. You will kill something. Plus once you factor in travel and all of that you will have a lot invested. I would want to hunt with someone reviewed if I was going to travel that far. Nothing agaist craigslist but anyone can post there.