• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas proof shooting mat

vortexyz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2018
Hey guys,

TLDR: who makes a mat that doesn’t let thorns through?

Went deer hunting out in west Texas this past weekend and had the luck to fill the rest of my tags.
I unfortunately also managed to find every sticker and thorny plant in creation while taking one of my shots. Our range has quite a few stickers as well, so I’m looking for a mat that can deal with it and that they don’t stick too so easily. I’ve been using a harbor freight moving blanket at the range for a couple years and am just ready for a real mat. I have read a lot of the forums about mats on here, but would love to hear specifically from guys in areas where you have to deal with evil vegetation. Thanks!

Reactions: alsation
Creedmoor Sports.

You can ask for custom double-thick padding. I sold these to the Saudis for laying down on sand in Arabian heat:

Mat.jpg

Creedmoor Sports.

You can ask for custom double-thick padding. I sold these to the Saudis for laying down on sand in Arabian heat:

View attachment 7775949
Recall how much extra they charged for the double padding?

I have a Midway roll up mat and I doubt and thorns will get thru it…but haven’t put it thru that particular test yet.

Good mat, decent price.

Reactions: waveslayer
Thanks for the replies y’all.

That creedmoor looks pretty nice but I’d like something I can take hunting pretty easily if I want to. I’ve heard lots of good things about the midway mats and am leaning towards that or maybe a TAB. Just wanted to hear how they hold up before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Baron23
I don't recall the charge for additional padding. Standard works pretty good if you want lighter.

Plain mats of just one thickness of 1000-denier Cordura don't do a lot for west Texas cockle burrs and African thorns, and some of those like to stick to Cordura. You could try a Marine folding closed-cell sleeping pad -- they're light, cheap, pad well and fold up easy:

Marine-Corps-sleeping-folding-accordian-mat.jpg

I've used the Midway mat and prefer this one:

Only $60 and it's got thicker padding and slightly larger footprint. I wanted this as a huskies fella and I think it would do well at not feeling thorns.
I have that same one as well. But, having lived in West Texas, a mesquite thorn will rip through and pierce a leather jacket. So Although I think this mat is way better than my other mats, if you lay it out in the briers, they'll puncture about anything.

• Wow
Reactions: sinister
I have that same one as well. But, having lived in West Texas, a mesquite thorn will rip through and pierce a leather jacket. So Although I think this mat is way better than my other mats, if you lay it out in the briers, they'll puncture about anything.
So basically 3-4 sections of articulated aluminum diamond plate with a padded nylon top covering is needed. ;)

Yes. On tracks. With a moving turrett. Then, you may just have a chance.

I just use the padded midway mat, also in west Texas but I just avoid the mesquites. I haven’t noticed stickers clinging too bad. I also shoot off a dirt hill top so your mileage may vary.

I hadn’t seen that one from bass pro, thanks for that suggestion it looks pretty good.

As long as it deals with the stickers/burs I’m happy, I can avoid the mesquite.

I hunt in south Texas, where everything has thorns or fangs; so I don't take shots prone. Instead, I run a tripod with an articulating head, easy peasy.

And good boots, very good boots. Snake boots.

Reactions: sinister and TrevK
Tac Tailor shooting mat with the full hypalon backer is great in TX. I've never had anything poke thru it.

Reactions: vortexyz
As a life long Texan, I’ll go ahead and say that the state has an unearned reputation for things that bite, stick, and sting. Grass burrs suck, but they’re an annoyance. Mesquite trees have thorns but are easily avoided. French rose hedge, on the other hand, is like tangling with concertina wire. And Huisatche. That shit is evil.

For hunting, I would carry a tripod over a shooting mat, every day.

As for range time, grass burrs may stick to a mat, but just bring something to brush them off (a hair comb works really well for this). And, if mesquite et al are the concern, try not to throw your mat on top of bushes and trees to shoot. It’s fabric, not diamond plate.

I have the range maxx mat and it is fine, but the Cabelas brand mat it replaced was better.

Where are you at? If in the houston area, drop byand look at the ones I have (midway, triad tacical...). When I go west, tripod and a folding chair are my choice.

I’m out near midland. I appreciate the offer to check out your stuff but I don’t get down to Houston much. I have been wanting a tripod setup pretty bad so maybe I’ll go that route next season.

Reactions: elwarpo
I run a tripod when hunting because of the fire ants and to elevate the gun more. I never have an issue with thorns or any plants. But fuck the ants. I never seem to notice until I've already got a bunch on me. Besides the ants, bushes/grass exist, and they are all taller than me on the ground with a bipod. When I do target shoot from the ground I use a Tab Gear packable shooting mat, or one of those trifold rifle cases that fold out into a mat. Neither of these mats are affected by stickers but they were fairly stout Cordura.
I'm down in Brazos and Milam County, TX.

I use a mat from Midway, as long as you watch where you put it you will be fine. The fire ants that’s a whole different story, I hate those little fuckers with a passion.