• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thank You Bear Pit (no really!)

@Bigfatcock there is some member using the same member name as you only in French and he is highly regarded as being knowledgeable on capitalism.

Well guys, I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm pretty think skinned, and knew I'd need to be even if I were asking an "intelligent" question. But for a shooting web site in which knowledgable shooters are supposed to have and provide insight/feedback/etc., I have received hazing (which is fine, even funny and welcome), but no actual assistance. If "you can't get there from here" is considered a worthy reply to nubies, then feedback thus far has been right on track.
Go make me a sammich!

I got your point. I asked a question poorly, clearly. I want to know how to determine ballistic coefficient on a supposedly custom made projectile since I have a number of them and want to become accurate with them. I have a dope sheet for them out to 1000 yards from a Barrett long distance course I took, but that is only valuable for the specific ranges and conditions I have logged. I can see that way I asked made it appear that I don’t know shit but have a high-end weapon. If it offends you that I have a certain gun but not the level of experience you feel I should have, my regrets. You got your jabs in, now how about some useful feedback, if you have any?
Wrong location for useful info... and if you have the actual dope you have info

4C443323-8F42-4031-9597-BDAA4CDF7BF1.jpeg

Hey, that's what makes it interesting... Just always be ready... (to either have the best piece of a** you couldn't even imagine, or have fork stuck in your eye!), and never fall asleep unless you are sleeping on right top of her so she can't slip away, and put your toothbrush in the toilet, or light your truck on fire in the driveway, or worse).
Ummm.............exactly. :eek:

Chill52, if you happened to be able read correctly, and maybe even followed the conversation, you would see that I was noting that someone else in this forum, in this conversation, told ME that chronographs were not accurate. I was quoting that person (with skepticism).

I imagine when this site was created the original goal was to have a place where people with common shooting interests could gather, share camaraderie, and share useful information. I'm sure even back then there was a good portion of ball busting, which is great as an aside. That has clearly flipped now, to the point that "supposed" gun enthusiasts prefer to talk smack and show how haughty they are in their infinite knowledge and capabilities by attempting to demean people that admit they don't know everything. Oh, and mock people with autism.

I have to believe that the original members and participants, as well as the current members who are more than childish wannabe's (and I would hope moderators) would look on many of you and your posts with distaste at best. I certainly do.

I also imagine that companies that might otherwise want to advertise here, or associate in any way with this web site are considering seriously if this is anything they want to be associated with.

I had hoped that I would find here what I find everywhere else I go and interact with gun owners and enthusiasts: a great group of people that are interested in furthering the knowledge and participation of others in all things "guns". THAT, I have certainly NOT found.

you took a wrong turn when you got off the elevator; Long Range Hunting was your second left. The moose at the gate should have told you.

you took a wrong turn when you got off the elevator; Long Range Hunting was your second left. The moose at the gate should have told you.
I don’t think LRH would entertain the whole .50 cal starter kit thing. They may have been less direct about it but would have said the same thing.

Think about it: what happens if advice is given and then taken incorrectly. Which it will be, that’s how we all learn: we screw up and learn from there. A stray bullet from the Barrett finds its way through a too thin backstop on a too short range and something bad happens (insert nightmare here). Charges are filed, defendant says “I got the info off of x website”. Website is now also a defendant. The right thing happened in this thread - he was told to stop and go get experience and knowledge how many different ways to become proficient, which he obviously isn’t?

I don’t think LRH would entertain the whole .50 cal starter kit thing. They may have been less direct about it but would have said the same thing.

Think about it: what happens if advice is given and then taken incorrectly. Which it will be, that’s how we all learn: we screw up and learn from there. A stray bullet from the Barrett finds its way through a too thin backstop on a too short range and something bad happens (insert nightmare here). Charges are filed, defendant says “I got the info off of x website”. Website is now also a defendant. The right thing happened in this thread - he was told to stop and go get experience and knowledge how many different ways to become proficient, which he obviously isn’t?
The liability thing is thought provoking. I hadn't considered the effect of the repeal of Section 230 on a website publisher like LL. The President was perhaps understandably upset at the liability protection some giant publishers could take advantage of, but that shield covers a wide range of circumstances.

@EasyW

I’ll help you out as the learning curve around here is super steep at first.

So, the bear pit is usually where people start topics that usually don’t have anything to do with shooting. There are a vast number of locations for you to post your question and get answers. Your first mistake was going into a thread that someone started to say thanks for the bear pit guys, then tried to turn it into your own, “I need help thread.” As pointed out before, go start your own thread in the stupid marksmanship questions.

So naturally after your forum faux pas, the boys gave you some grief, which you internalized and responded like you did. Which will once again get you nothing but more harassment.

So, stop posting your responses to the post here, because the ribbing isn’t going to stop without self correction. Go post your question where it should be, and be a little more humble. A vast number of members here are more than willing to help you out, and to educate you in your endeavor. Be willing to listen, even when you think the answers were written by a dick. You are asking for their time and effort in your education. Most places that cost money, here it cost humility and the willingness to place your ego to the side.

Enjoy your time on the Hide. Everything you would ever want to know about long range shooting and more is at your finger tips, if you chose to heed this message.

Cheers
Great advice, like a number of other responses here. I do appreciate the feedback.

My point is this: if the guy was looking for a pussified conversation where no politics or kidding around was tolerated, he should go to LRH. That site is the metaphorical lovechild of Elmer Fudd and brainy smurf. It seems to me that a good percentage of the guys there vote D.