• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thanks for pushing me to Tikka

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Had a few threads about rifles recently and ended up with a tikka ctr 6.5, which is an absolute beast. Shoots my handloads for a previous rifle amazing.

Wanting a trainer, I was looking at 223’s... didn’t want to spend $900 on a tikka and then buy a stock, but broke down and did it anyways. Cleaned the barrel and took it out yesterday. Put 10 rounds of some Winchester match 69gr from the 1990s that I had, which shot like crap. 2.5” at 100 yards.... had me worried.
    I loaded up 15 rounds each of 77smk, 23gr, 23.2 & 23.4 of 8208 in lapua brass. Got excited on the 5th shot and pulled it, using a 15x scope is hard to see the tiny holes, but here’s a 5 shot group. All 3 loads shot almost identical.

Thanks for recommending tikkas to me, hide!

6.5 group, confirming zero, first shot on the right, adjust left 1 click and sent 4 more.
    B13FE173-4FA6-48F3-BBE8-B726482C57EF.jpeg

223 group, 5 shots
    CECD95F5-6EE6-4871-A8AD-C112111F3F87.jpeg

After playing with my first Tikka, I swore off (factory) R700s. After playing with my first Howa, I confirmed to myself that there is zero reason to consider going back to a factory R700.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole, the R700 footprint is the industry standard, and I have no qualms at all about buying aftermarket actions that meet that standard... but if I'm going to run a factory action, it isn't going to be a Remington. Tikkas are AWESOME (as long as you aren't planning on running a long action cartridge), and I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your selection.

After playing with my first Tikka, I swore off (factory) R700s. After playing with my first Howa, I confirmed to myself that there is zero reason to consider going back to a factory R700.

^ 100% my experience too

^ 100% my experience too
    Ill never run another factory gun now. No point in it.
    I had a howa 6.5 grendel and was very surprised with how smooth that action was, and the trigger was very nice as well. Just hated it because howa doesnt make a 10 round grendel mag.

Glad you emphasized “factory” R700. My smith buddy blueprints my R700s and they shoot. But I’ve read sooooo much good Tikka love here on the hide I’m tempted to look at one.

Gotta finish my 223 R700 rebuild and my 6cm R700 build.

Reactions: DRAGON64
    Glad you emphasized “factory” R700. My smith buddy blueprints my R700s and they shoot. But I’ve read sooooo much good Tikka love here on the hide I’m tempted to look at one.

Gotta finish my 223 R700 rebuild and my 6cm R700 build.
    Ive had a blueprinted R700, and a bergara that I had trued when rebarreled.

The bolts cycled smooth as butter on them, but I think the tikka wins with the lesser bolt lift. I really like that most about this action compared to how high up my bolt lift was on the R700. It makes cycling faster.

My only beef is the 6.5 is 70-80fps slower with the same load than my ruger, which has 2" more barrel too but still, just as accurate.

My 223 loads seemed to be normal velocities for a 223 with 24" barrel. 10 shot average:
    23gr: 2775
    .2gr: 2801
    .4gr: 2827

I may try faster, i had no pressure, but they shoot good and 2827 is decent for the weight.

Tikka all the way!

Tikka > R700
    Tikka = Trued & Blueprinted R700

Their is no better factory, out of the box, [true production grade] rifle under $1000.
    Change my mind. :unsure:

Reactions: TripleOrNothing
    Tikka all the way!

Tikka > R700
    Tikka = Trued & Blueprinted R700

Their is no better factory, out of the box, [true production grade] rifle under $1000.
    Change my mind. :unsure:

I wouldn't dare try. It's justa shame that the Tikka PRS model model (the UPR?) has all the additional featurs I'd like over the CTR (20 moa rail, adjustable cheek, dual bipod/sling swivels in the front) but at $1400 is priced too high to make me want to jump ship from the CTR. Seems like an oversight on Tikka's part.

Reactions: Bakwa
    I wasn’t involved, but you’re welcome.

I love my T3X.