• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thanks S-Hide.

AshenHand

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2011
Southern Missouri
Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums for a few years now and figured it was finally time to stop in and say thanks. I'll be 17 in a couple of months so if I'm too young to post this just let me know or delete it.

After I came across this site a few years ago, I took everyone's advice and got a .22. (A Kimber 82 and a Ruger 10/22). I've probably put 10,000+ rounds through both of those at the range and saved up to get a R700 XCR LRT in .223. (I work after school and summers at a feed store). I got it because I don't hunt, only shoot paper out to 300 yards, and from what research I did, I figured it would be a good platform to start out with for my first bolt gun.

I absolutely love the 40x trigger, after I had my gunsmith adjust it down just a tad, and the stock fits me perfectly. I gave my little brother the .22's once I got this, and plan on giving him this once I save up enough for a custom build in a few years. I'm in no hurry though.

Anyways, I think I had about 300 rounds through this Rem before I got enough money to buy some reloading gear. Even before I started reloading, I felt that I had a very good understanding of the process from what I was able to research here, and the reloading manuals that I bought a while back.

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant (read scared) to shoot my reloads, and was thinking about hiding under the bench and reaching up to pull the trigger lol. Everything went fine though as you can see.

Below is a picture of my first group with my very first handload. I know it isn't the best 100 yard group ever posted here, but it's mine and I'm proud of it. I'll get there there eventually with a ton more practice.

I couldn't have done it without you guys and all the great info I have gained from these forums. Please note that it does not go unnoticed!

Thanks guys.

COAL 2.250
@Ogive 1.7605 - 1.7610 (.002 off lands)
205M Primer
24.0gr IMR 8208 XBR
Hornady 53gr HP #2250
Hornady once fired factory brass

jt8nwi.jpg

Re: Thanks S-Hide.

This was an enjoyable and refreshing first post. I'm glad to see you are doing so well at such a young age. Keep me posted as you progress. Good job!

If everyones first post were that good, I'd probably never post out of sheer embarrassment.

Welcome to "The Hide", we are honored to have you.

If only every 17 year old in America had your willingness to listen, learn, and work. China would be screwed...

young gun that is a very good group and you should be proud.your exactly the kind of young person that all kids should be.welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.you ever need any help just ask .

Good group, good post. Welcome to the forum. I'd say you are twenty years ahead on where I started. Excellent begining.

You have done well and will continue to do well as you have the right attitude. Good job.

Nice to see a first post that isn't just a question that gets asked every day again and again.

I expect a full report with one ragged hole results from you soon.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Like I said above, i couldn't have done it without you and all the great info here at the Hide.

My father doesn't shoot, but he supports me with anything I intelligently decide to do. There were a couple of nights that he helped me look up a few things here before I loaded my first rounds.

Next on my list is to try some load development. I know it might sound kind of strange, but I never figured reloading would be so enjoyable. To me it seems very relaxing to be able to sit down at the workbench and safely create something on my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me it seems very relaxing to be able to sit down at the workbench and safely create something on my own.</div></div>

I'm with you on that! One of the reasons I first started.
To some people it's a necessary chore to get the accuracy they want,
But I enjoy it as much as pulling the trigger.

I do lots of brass prep that most people say is uneccesary, (mostly true)
But I just love sitting down and making my rounds all pretty and perfect, and by trying lots of different stuff, I'm always learning too.

Good luck and stay safe
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only every 17 year old in America had your willingness to listen, learn, and work. China would be screwed...</div></div>

+1

Nice group and post. I feel ya on afraid to shoot ya first handloads! I was so nervous when I shot my very first handload, I had both eyes closed while pulling the trigger! Lol It is very relaxing to produce ya own ammo. As someone else on here stated, it's a hobby within a hobby. Speaking of being proud, wait until you shoot your first one-holer with you own handloads. See if you'll be able to wipe the smile off of your face! Keep up the good work, soak up as much knowledge as you can, and have fun!