• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thanks targetcam!

taliv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
TN
So... I was 5th place at the snipershide cup this weekend and took a really cool target camera system off the prize table. I had a chance to take it for a quick spin tonight after work and thought I'd give a brief range report and review. A couple caveats: first, as I just said I've only owned it for a day. Second, being a guy, I figured I'd use it a few times before reading the manual so I could be doing a lot wrong. Tahoerider has a bunch of other pics and info in post 7 of http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-cup/253216-2014-snipers-hide-cup-photo-thread.html but this is my brief and awesome experience so far...

First thing I did was go set up the camera on my tripod out in a hay field in front of a full size IPSC spin drift auto popper (30" tall, including 6"x6" head). You're looking at the front of the camera. On/off switch and antenna on the top. That little spot on the front is the lens, which you spin to focus.

The camera unit has what I'm assuming is a rather large, heavy battery inside it and you charge it via a port on the opposite side. I've been told to expect 5 hr run time. It took about 3 hours to charge it with the supplied charger.

targetcamcam.jpg

Next, after stomping down a lane of waist-high hay, I go set up with my normal kit: suppressed rifle, PLRF-10C range finder, kestrel weather meter, and my pack. You can see the monitor base unit is built into a storm case, which is pretty cool. It has the LCD screen and antennae in the lid. If you lift the foam piece, there is more custom cut foam underneath that holds the camera and a special longer range antenna (the wire you see) and a charger that works for both the camera and monitor unit. As you can see I'm using the rubber duck style antenna. The target is 860 yards away and the camera is maybe 12' or so in front of it. So the more convenient rubber duck antenna works pretty dang well. Note, like a lot of LCD screens, the image appears slightly faded if you aren't directly in front of it, which I generally wasn't in these pics and especially the video. In person, the image looks bright and sharp, with good colors. However, it has kind of a funky aspect ratio which I'll probably understand after reading the manual. As previously stated the head is 6x6" square (see last pic), but in the monitor, it looks wider than it is tall. But you can still see the fresh paint on the head and make out the grass in front of it very well. It definitely seems well suited to seeing impacts from a reasonably safe distance.
kit5-14.jpg

In the next picture you can see my view through my scope of the target and the camera in front and left of it. The scope is a USO 5-25x58 TPAL set on 25x magnification with the side focus adjusted as well as I could get it. Still a pretty difficult image looking through a combination of hay and soupy southern air.
targetcamscope1.jpg

So, after sorting out my data for a few minutes, I took a shot at the head and got a first round hit on the right side. After the target fell down and came up, I thought, "that was neat, I should get that on video." So I carefully balanced my iphone on a pile of junk in front of the monitor and hit record. Then I went and shot again, missing twice more before I realized the wind shifted slightly. So I made a slight correction and center punched it.

Finally, I took one more shot and hit top right again near my 1st impact. In this video, you can see the system blanks out for a second every once in a while. Not sure why, but it could be me as again I haven't read the manual, and being a ham radio guy, I've got a ton of rf stuff going on around my truck etc that could be causing interference.

(bonus points for anyone who can tell me what kind of bird that is in the video)

Here's a close up of the monitor. As you can see, it's pretty simple to use. On/off switch, receiver, monitor. Some buttons on the LCD screen that I assume you use if you have multiple cameras, etc. The silver port left of the on/off switch is the charging port. The four slots you see on either side of the LCD accommodate a foam sun shade (part of which you can see tucked in the the left side of bottom of the case).
targetcambase.jpg

Finally, I went back downrange to collect my camera and took a pic of the target. 3/5 isn't too bad!
targetcamtarget.jpg

I really want to thank targetcam for sponsoring the snipershide cup and donating their time to RO and putting this very cool system on the prize table! Summers around here are so hazy and mirage is so bad where I shoot that it is nearly impossible to make out impacts on my 1000-1100 yard steel with spotting or rifle scopes so gathering long range data is a PITA. I'm pretty sure this system will solve that.

That TargetCam system really impressed me. The owner was also very helpful and friendly. I wanted to like the other remote camera system better because it is app based, but the TargetCam just flat out worked better and was not nearly as laggy. Congrats on 5th place! There were lots of other cool things on the table when you went up there and to grab the TargetCam is really saying something. Keep everyone update on how it is working for you. We might be interested in getting one for our local club.

Not only did the TargetCam work better, but the owner was far and away better than the infamous RO on Echo.

Kieth's Long Range Lounge was awesome, I think one of these would work great for ELR out to 2000 yards with 338's, Cheytacs etc.

Last edited:
Im going to beg taliv to let us use this in the PTS match in Aug.

Would be perfect for that 1100 yard shot in the high mirage of summer.

That system looks awesome!

thanks! FYI our TargetCam product is for sale in the Shop Sniper's Hide section at the top of the page. A portion of your purchase also goes to support SH.

What is the PTS match??? post a link...maybe I'll volunteer to be an RO and fly down for it and set up another "long range lounge." Our system can also use multiple cameras so we can place cameras downrange at multiple targets that are out past 700.

I'm not supposed to say who is doing it but there is a famous movie star using our system this summer to document an elr world record. The record is out past 3000 yards. They made me sign an NDA so I can't say who it is... they don't want the attempt publicized unless he actually breaks the record.

so...
this is the view through the scope on a horrible mirage day. vege has grown up in front of my hostage target (below the big white rectangle) so they're not just a hostage but also behind cover now! you could only see the head of the hostage and the head and shoulder of the bad guy.
hostagecover600.jpg

but from the target cam, which was slightly to the side, you get a nice full view of both targets

here are 3 shots fast on the shoulder, which as you can see from the view through the scope is a safer, higher percentage shot...

i'm totally digging this camera! I also found out it was great for new shooters because everybody can gather around the targetcam and spectate

Not only did the TargetCam work better, but the owner was far and away better than the infamous RO on Bravo.

Kieth's Long Range Lounge was awesome, I think one of these would work great for ELR out to 2000 yards with 338's, Cheytacs etc.

Congrats Taliv...

I have used my Targetcam with my 338LM, at 1760 yards. It was great being able to see the hits from the shooting position. I know the system will work out further. I just haven't tried to shoot further yet. I did drive out past a mile to test the camera, and it still had a signal at 2000 yards.

Last edited:
That's a great video Tom! Thanks for posting! I know you want to order another camera for your system so I'll send you an email. We've got components coming in this week so should be able to get it out.

If anyone else who has our system wants to post some video or pics please do. Also, if it's ok with you, I'd like to post some customer video and pics on our website soon. We're creating a "customer pic/video" area for the site this week so please send link to me via email. Customer videos are great - especially ones with pretty girls in them - hahaha

Impressive piece of kit there guys. One of the things I like least about long range is not being able to see the hits on the tgts and then having to hike/drive to the tgt to get any feedback. Even with a good spotter it is not as good as being able to see the results yourself. I like it.

Irish

This thread pushed me over the edge. I just ordered one.

Is the quoted 3-4 week backlog still pretty accurate?

Keith's (TahoeRider) great on any follow-up questions or technical advice.

I purchased a 2 camera system from him last year and everyone smiles when I bring it out at the range.....

I want I want I want it....but I don't need it!
Saved by thinking and will power :)

I have been kicking around the idea of ordering one of these for a few months but I have a question in the discrepancy between what is listed on SH and what is listed on the Target-cam site.

The description on SH states “Range for the Standard system is approx. 1200 yards. For people who shoot farther than that we offer an “ELR kit.” With the ELR kit the range is typically over 2000 yards”.

When you go to the Target-cam site they have different ranges and state “The standard camera transmitters are designed for 2,500 yard "line-of-sight" range. This will diminish somewhat if heavy brush or obstacles are between the camera and base station. Optional directional antennas are available to increase the range of the standard transmitters”.

So my question for those that either have this system or know, which is it 1200 or 2500 for the standard system?

Hey Max and Hairball...sorry for the delayed response, been bz. Yes we do ship to our friends from the great white north.

Hairball, to answer your question - it depends. Radio waves of any kind don't like to skim along the ground. They are a wave pattern and not like a laser beam. This is why you always see antennas of any type mounted on top of buildings, mountaintops...etc. You can learn why by punching the words "Fresnel Zone" into your Google machine. The diagrams that come up will tell the story without even having to read much about it. When shooting over long range like 1000 yards or more I always recommend our customers get one of our directional antennas. The transmitters we use will cover miles of range even without the auxiliary antennas it's just that the ground starts to mess with the signal when it's flat between the transmitter and the receiver (the ground interferes with the Fresnel Zone). I've actually tested our system out to 3 miles and had perfectly clear reception but that was from a ridge top.

All said and done, give me a call so I can splain more to you. We guarantee our system to work. We have 2 different groups of people going for some world records this summer using our system to document it. They are shooting over some crazy distances on a totally flat dry lakebed and I'll tell you what their setup is to accomplish clear reception. It's easy to do once you understand a little bit about the principle that sir Augustin-Jean Fresnel discovered back in the 1800s.

call me anytime

Thanks for the reply, I have my HAM license and have set up several portable stations on SAR call-outs so I have a basic understanding of the process. I shoot mostly ELR out in the high desert between my home and Palm Springs so it's basically flat. Just checking to see if the extra equipment is needed/required for 1000-2000 yards. I may just go with the standard setup and see how it goes and upgrade later if I have issues.

If you do need auxiliary antenna to cover the distance you are shooting it's very easy to set up. We send an extension cord with the antenna so it's just a matter of unscrewing the little whip antenna that's on there and then screwing on the cord/antenna. The antennas are threaded with the standard 1/4"X20 threads that are on any tripod.

You're right Max...much cheaper than buying and hauling a quad out to the range....much cheaper than most quality spotting scopes too.
Getting instant feedback after each shot makes your range sessions more productive. Also, like you see in taliv's video, more fun for both the shooter and others who can watch shots hit live. We've sold a lot of systems to long range instructors because one person can be shooting and the other students can be calculating dope and windage.

Last edited:
We run a five camera system in our schools and for load development and you cant imagine the fun we have. Been waiting on another base unit this thread reminds me I better call Keith.
We have run ours out to 2500 yards with no issues...when using multiple cameras there is a learning curve but once you figure it out it is awesome.
Jordan@406

Congratulations on the placing, hell, that's not a bad prize at all! I wish I had one like that (or at all)! It sure looks like it would hold up beating around on tough BLM terrain.

Congratulations on the placing, hell, that's not a bad prize at all! I wish I had one like that (or at all)! It sure looks like it would hold up beating around on tough BLM terrain.

NM BLM land is where I use mine the most. The terrain has some hills, and lots of brush. The kit is very durable. I get about 1900 yards with the standard kit. I think that is excellent considering the base unit is right on the ground at the shooting position. After 1900 yards, I use the optional antennas. Like Keith said, your distances will vary depending on your terrain.