• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

the $3 monopod

SkaerE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2001
The only blue part of VA :(
so i figured since i had a new stock for the mkII i'd goof around with the old one. I've had this idea for a while.

like the idea of a monopod for prone/bench shooting and have no interest in spending the $$ for a real one.

my solution:

1.) drill a 5/16'' hole into my stock.
2.) JB weld/Iron epoxy in a 1/4'' T-nut
3.) screw in a 4.5'' long 1/4'' carriage bolt.

adjust as needed.

so far works great. my only suggestions would be to use a 5/16'' bolt (less flex at full extension), to angle the screw towards the barrel some, and to install a metal tube in the stock to have the bolt screw up into (as opposed to the raw wood - it just seems like a cleaner idea and one I will try later on)

2.jpg

its not the prettiest thing but hey, it was $3.
laugh.gif

Re: the $3 monopod

took to the range to try out and worked great. have a couple better pics and a different version i made for my nordic 22 upper on a magpul PRS stocked lower.

again, not the prettiest... not the quickest, but they work well.

mkiimonopod.jpg

mkIIextended.jpg

mkIIcollapsed.jpg

a threaded insert or "threadsert" would screw into the stock without epoxy and fit flush, a drilled out 1 inch dowel rod would make a hand grip similar to commercial monopods

if you drilled a deeper hole and used a threaded sleeve it would help eliminate wobble

wow. a push button nut. who would have thought for $6.

sweet. i like the ideas guys. i'm glad i didnt dump a bunch of $$ into this project though. i think i have since re-evaluated the usefulness of a monopod in the field environment. probably great at the range or on concrete but in my area fields and woods are less uniform. or perhaps the monopods just need a much larger head.

Cool concept, I may give this a run on my 10/22. I have a 3/4" fine threaded rod with a ball end. I will try to find a sleeve to epoxy in the stock, and duracoat the exposed surfaces. Thanks for the idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow. a push button nut. who would have thought for $6.

sweet. i like the ideas guys. i'm glad i didnt dump a bunch of $$ into this project though. i think i have since re-evaluated the usefulness of a monopod in the field environment. probably great at the range or on concrete but in my area fields and woods are less uniform. or perhaps the monopods just need a much larger head.</div></div>

Maybe figure out a way to mount a small sandbag onto the bottom of the quick-adjusting monopod?

You should be able to build it for half that cost if you shop around for the parts. We all get excited when we have new a idea, but it's no excuse for reckless spending...

I have a similar "style" of monopod on my AICS.

Its called a stinger monopod.

I like it because its out of the way compared to an accu-shot, but its not as nice to operate as an accushot.

With that in mind if I were to fabricate one at home I would do it the following way.

1) purchase Delrin cutting board/chopping block.\
2) stencil buttpad pattern onto the board
3) cut it out and shape it exactly to the same footprint as the buttpad.
4) Drill hole in bottom and accomodate for hex nut
5) Insert appropriate bolt insert and install.

Keep in mind when you do this you have to offset the screws to install both the buttpad and the monopod. This option is a little bit more work, a little bit more expensive with the chopping block ($10?), but it preserves having to drill into the stock and can be removed in the future.

to be fair, i scrounged the parts from a big clear jug of nuts and bolts i keep around the garage. perhaps i over estimated the cost
wink.gif

i like the popcorn idea... mmmmm... shooting's gonna smell like burned powder and butter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Functional? Yes.
Inexpensive? Yes.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Fugly? Yes.</span>
Don't get me wrong but you need to spend a little more money. </div></div>

+1 !