• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors The AAC Adventure: 2/21 Update.

Re: The AAC Adventure

I don't have the 51-tooth mount, but my 18-tooth mount seems to be holding up ok. I did notice that it backs off one tooth while firing however.

I had one experience with AAC customer service. I had a Blackout flash suppressor that had the wrench flats rounded off by the installer. I sent it to AAC to see if they could repair it.

Mike Mers took care of me and went above and beyond. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virtufauxso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a problem, I'll ship it in it's pelican case. Thanks. </div></div>

Great!

Email me at [email protected] so I can send the label.

That kind of customer service may of just won my business. Well done AAC.

That's definitely stepping up to the plate to provide excellent customer service. Whatever the issue(s), I hope it gets resolved to the OP's satisfaction.

I've never owned a supressor and probably will never legally be able to do so. If I was in a position to be able to do so, AAC would be at the top of my list.

At least I can say I own something of there's. I do have (2) bolt guns in .300 Blackout.
wink.gif

I know its fun to join in a pile-on but if you read his post(s) closely you'll see where he mentions those 400 cycles were between I think 3 different latches. So the first one wore out early so being cautious he tested the "fixed" one and discovered the same problem. ditto for latch 3. In that situation I can't blame him. I'm sure he's OCD, but thats beside the point
wink.gif

If you just got your car back from the dealer because your brakes failed wouldn't you drive around for a while tapping your brakes incessantly? I know I would. <lol>

As for AAC, I suspect he will be taken care off. I suspect some of the reasons for their hit-or-miss CS are gone now this year.

I love my old model m4-2000 (18t) and my new 762-sdn-6. And yes, I own other brands (love my 3 SWRs)

bp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Way to step up Mike.

I have nothing but good things to say about my AAC products. I can't attest to their customer service......I've never needed it.

That being said, 400 on off cycles in a few months is ridiculous. I've had cans for years that I've not taken on and off half that much and I shoot a lot and almost always suppressed.

That's like 10/15 times a day for no reason while you owned it.

In all fairness a product like AACs should last longer but still, that's obsessive.

</div></div>

You know I always love posts when people have heard of tons of problems. The same thing with Glocks. I always hear people talking about this Glock or that Glock having issues. The reason you hear about more Glocks having issues is because there are a crapload more of them out there than there are Smith & Wesson 5906's. Same with AAC. They made the push to popularize civilian ownership of cans. They have the cult like following of AAC users that buy can after can. If there are 50 AAC cans out there for every one Liberty Suppressor, I'd bet you're gonna hear more issues with AAC than Liberty (not that Liberty is bad, I just don't think they sell as many cans as AAC). I don't sell a lot but I've probably had 50 or so suppressors through the shop in the last couple years. Liberty, SureFire, Gemtech, YHM, AAC, SilencerCo, SWR, Tactical Solutions. Can't say I've heard a complaint on any one of them.

Wow!Now that shure sounds like good customer service. Nice to see reps help out and take the time to check out the forums.Hope to see a tread how well they helped with the problem also.

Mike,

I don't have an AAC can, I think it's making my rifle really loud. Can you email me a UPS label too and I'll send my rifle in to be looked at. Once you have a can on it let me know and I'll provide the label to cover return shipping for the rifle and can, it's the least I can do.

laugh.gif

Awesome to see that great customer service exists. Good for Mike for getting this taken care of.

I'll be sure to post the results. I'm looking forward to finally having this issue resolved. Going to the range without a can just isn't as fun anymore.

I own four AAC cans and for the most part have had NO problems.

Looking at a Ti can for my .338 LM rifle, I decided against AAC.

Why?

Customer service, or lack thereof.

You see, I bought a 9mm Evolution can and the little gas tight washer was missing. I emailed, I called. No return on either. No washer/o-ring sent either. It's a simple ten cent piece (in bulk), could've stuck it in an envelope with a stamp.

Nope.

They DO however, in the instructions with the can list the actual part # for ordering online from another company.

When I support a business, as in MY own trade, it's attention to detail, to the CUSTOMER, not the bottom line, that counts.

No more business from ME.

Over a ten cent o-ring I will have to order in BULK to get the ONE I need, plus shipping and handling, they're now about a buck apiece. Yep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have the 51-tooth mount, but my 18-tooth mount seems to be holding up ok. I did notice that it backs off one tooth while firing however.

I had one experience with AAC customer service. I had a Blackout flash suppressor that had the wrench flats rounded off by the installer. I sent it to AAC to see if they could repair it.

Mike Mers took care of me and went above and beyond. Thanks again.</div></div>

I have one of each, 18T and 51T, no problems so far.

You're lucky. In my experience they never answer the phone or their emails. I'm an easy-going guy, too, just want what I paid for. Hell, even the ATF answers the f*ing phone, even though THEIR so-called service takes up to six months.

Just sent my paperwork in last week for SDN-6 for my 9 inch 300 blk!
I went with AAC because i love their marketing! Now this is my first suppressor so we will see whether there claims hold up under scrutiny. before reading this i would have just picked up my can and ratchet'd it on without depressing the latch probabaly over and over like the OP because i can. But now i know not to do that and what to look for when i do get it i will be much happier!

Good to see the Rep on the forum addressing the issue, i hope we never have to speak but if we do I'm sure you'll take care of me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own four AAC cans and for the most part have had NO problems.

Looking at a Ti can for my .338 LM rifle, I decided against AAC.

Why?

Customer service, or lack thereof.

You see, I bought a 9mm Evolution can and the little gas tight washer was missing. I emailed, I called. No return on either. No washer/o-ring sent either. It's a simple ten cent piece (in bulk), could've stuck it in an envelope with a stamp.

Nope.

They DO however, in the instructions with the can list the actual part # for ordering online from another company.

When I support a business, as in MY own trade, it's attention to detail, to the CUSTOMER, not the bottom line, that counts.

No more business from ME.

Over a ten cent o-ring I will have to order in BULK to get the ONE I need, plus shipping and handling, they're now about a buck apiece. Yep. </div></div>

I love my .338LM AWC Thundertrap and am about to order the same in their newest Ti can for my various .338s. I couldnt be happier or more impressed with what I have gotten from them so far and I have four more pending cant wait. I am not a AWC only guy. I have many others mostly pending but most of what I have used so far has been AWC the only reason I have bought so many other brands that are pending is because I am a whore and want them all. Plus AWC is in such demand my last four ordered a year ago took 9 months to show up but well worth the wait. Good luck and enjoy. PG

AAC is usually quite excellent at fixing their mistakes once their customers create a shit storm for them on the net. Pictures naturally expedite this process at Mach 2.

Just unfortunate that this is the most effective way of addressing these issues. As illustrated by the previous poster trying to source a missing oring.

When you have that high of a product output your potential for a screw up is heightened 2x fold then the small shops guys putting out 20 a month. They makes a good product, but no one is above a mess up here and there.

I currently have four AAC suppressors, two Ti-Rant .45's, and two 762SD's (51tooth). I would like to start by saying I LOVE their performance, I thousands of rounds through one of each of the above with only two issues so far. The 762SD's are sequentially serial numbered and one was used as the work horse and one remained NIB until the workhorse failed, It was a mere 8 months of use and approximately 2,000 rounds before the first 762SD no longer would retain its’ position due to the failure of the latch’s teeth that wore off. I contacted AAC and was made aware of the batch of latches that never made it to heat treatment by the rep, they requested I send the suppressor in for repair and had it back in hand in about three and a half weeks. All in all it cost me about $20 in shipping and insurance and just under a month in waiting time.
Once the suppressor came back I immediately put the new can next to my repaired can, I was amazed at the fact you could not tell they cut the back section off and re-welded a new one on! Both 762SD suppressors were then installed and removed from 4 different hosts, I have to say the mount system does leave something to be desired. All hosts are factory threaded and have been checked by a gunsmith prior to installing the 51 tooth adapters. Some things I have found in my checks:
-All hosts with BOTH suppressors exhibit some very minute misalignment but I have never seen or experienced any baffle strikes.
-The suppressor mounts naturally have some variations dimensionally; the suppressors with not lock up without play on most of the hosts (takes a little force for the latch to lock on the last tooth for a rock solid lock).
- I have done the trick of adding oil to both the mount and suppressor for the initial ‘break in’ before firing to ensure the suppressor is fully seated. The results prove this step is necessary any time a new mount is to be used.
- Both cans exhibit a 6” POI change on the two precision hosts and even a slight degradation of accuracy. I feel a 6” POI shift IS a little excessive but livable.
Overall I love the sound suppression levels, the outstanding customer service I received, and the flexibility and usability of these cans.
From my experiences I now generally HOLD DOWN the latches when installing or removing the suppressors to limit the amount of contact between the latch’s teeth and the mount to hopefully prolong the life. I will be doing more testing for accuracy degradation with my SAKO TRG in .308, and Black Hole Machine barreled AR-10T which both exhibit sub half-moa groups WITHOUT either suppressor, and ¾” to 1 ¼” groups with either suppressor. I am sorry for the long post but I would like to share my tests and evaluations as clearly and accurately as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you have that high of a product output your potential for a screw up is heightened 2x fold then the small shops guys putting out 20 a month. They makes a good product, but no one is above a mess up here and there.

</div></div>

The telling factor is how one recovers from and corrects their mess ups.

Update: No return label yet, and no email response since the 11th. Granted, this is a very busy time of the year with SHOT show going on.

So I did measuring tonight and wanted to give some info on what I found. I pulled the two 762SD's I have, one has a new latch and one does not. I have a 51T mount in 18x1mm, and 3 in 5/8x24. I found the two suppressors on the SAME mount had varying levels of play. I did a number of things, I first chucked up a barrel in the vise and put two 5/8x24 mounts and measured at the farthest edge of the tube from the mount. I measured .045" on the worst mounts and .002" on the best. I could turn another 3/4 tooth on the worst and the best required a bit of force to lock the final tooth. I will be heading to the range to record the accuracy and point of impact changes between the mounts and the two suppressors.

I may have spoke too soon.

Did an extended carbine shoot this weekend using my M4-1000 with the 18T latch and wouldn't you know it, probably have a total of 500 rds through this can and after about every 5 rounds or so I'd have to retighten the can which was a mixed blessing because it was around 50 degrees and windy so the can was doing double duty as a hand-warmer.

Went online and dug around to find this is a really common fuck upl (ahem, problem) with AAC cans and their 18 T QD mounts.

Shit.

Looks like I either pitch a fit (they don't answer the phone or email, I've learned), start yet another online shitstorm (someone has mentioned a class-action suit over this, I may look into that), or get creative and make a spring-steel clip to hold the spring-steel clips in tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have spoke too soon.

Did an extended carbine shoot this weekend using my M4-1000 with the 18T latch and wouldn't you know it, probably have a total of 500 rds through this can and after about every 5 rounds or so I'd have to retighten the can which was a mixed blessing because it was around 50 degrees and windy so the can was doing double duty as a hand-warmer.

Went online and dug around to find this is a really common fuck upl (ahem, problem) with AAC cans and their 18 T QD mounts.

Shit.

Looks like I either pitch a fit (they don't answer the phone or email, I've learned), start yet another online shitstorm (someone has mentioned a class-action suit over this, I may look into that), or get creative and make a spring-steel clip to hold the spring-steel clips in tight. </div></div>

I am pretty sure they wont do anything for you if you have the 18T mount. However if you want to solve this problem, drill a small hole at the bottom, tap it, and put a thumb screw in it. When you screw it on try to get it so that the thumbscrew screws down between the teeth. May have to do 3 screws so that the tension is all the same. Anyhow that is my plan to fix the 18T, I also think that this could also minimize zero shift as you could screw the can all the way or back off a little bit as the thumb screws would be providing the tension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TWO WEEKS </div></div>

Was two weeks ago for me.

Update:

Communication with AAC has been spotty at best, and I still haven't received an RMA# or return shipping label. I'm starting to wonder how many customers AAC wants to loose before resolving this. Well, when you get to be that popular I guess you can afford to not care about trivial things like customers and quality control.

Seems to me like AAC is all talk and attitude with nothing to back it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virtufauxso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update:

Communication with AAC has been spotty at best, and I still haven't received an RMA# or return shipping label. I'm starting to wonder how many customers AAC wants to loose before resolving this. Well, when you get to be that popular I guess you can afford to not care about trivial things like customers and quality control.

Seems to me like AAC is all talk and attitude with nothing to back it up. </div></div>

Did you try to send Mers an email directly? He usually is pretty prompt about returning my emails.

Yes, several times. Some were responded too, but one or two responses later and I stop hearing anything back. This is the worst customer service that I have experienced anywhere.

After experiencing their suck-ass CS on an M4-2000 with the 18t issue and their refusing to warranty a Pilot (that came complete with a phone rant from The Man Himself. I hung up on him, which only seemed to enrage him further) I'll never come near any of their shit again, I don't care if it can make a 105 sound like a Red Ryder.

And that leaves out all their Ed Hardy/Tapout marketing bullshit and their blogger-turned-engineer who shills for them all over the web.

Fuck AAC.

Isn't AAC in the process of moving into their big, new facility and doubling their staff (paid for by Papa Remington I believe)? Not that I'm saying growning pains are an excuse for poor CS...but you might have just found yourself in the wrong CS situation at the wrong time. I'd give it two more weeks (couldn't help myself).

I have no dog in this fight...just trying to provide info.

Thanks for the info. It seems like every time I talk to them is the wrong time for customer service, though. I wasn't too thrilled to see something about an employee nerf gun shoot off day on their blog when my can was there for over two months to be fixed the first time. Couldn't possible interrupt the fun to keep a happy customer, or several dozen future customers. Word of mouth advertising goes both ways.

I guess taking care of your customers and honoring your warranty isn't "badass" or whatever they are trying to be. Certainly not professional.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if I need to talk to a lawyer.

I figured I'd stay away from AAC when I first started looking at their product and every photo featured a sweater vest wearing homo in it.

Ive been getting what seems like the run around from them on an Evo I sent in over 6 mo ago. No one answers their phone or email. Its disheartening to see what was such a good company fall so quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured I'd stay away from AAC when I first started looking at their product and every photo featured a sweater vest wearing homo in it. </div></div>

Harsh. Mike is a nice guy, and the sweater vest is a running joke for him and every one else. Don't be a dick.

Will be watching this thread closely, I have a 762SD that seems to be having the same issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured I'd stay away from AAC when I first started looking at their product and every photo featured a sweater vest wearing homo in it. </div></div>

Don't be a dick . . . . Dick!

Seriously. Mike has his hands full and he has always taken care of my customers if and the few times they needed it.

The sweater is a joke that cane out of freedom group buying aac

Sc-Texas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasGunTrustLawer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured I'd stay away from AAC when I first started looking at their product and every photo featured a sweater vest wearing homo in it. </div></div>

Don't be a dick . . . . Dick!

Seriously. Mike has his hands full and he has always taken care of my customers if and the few times they needed it.

The sweater is a joke that cane out of freedom group buying aac

Sc-Texas </div></div>

Sean Cody,
Might want to read this from the rules section.....

3.<span style="color: #FF0000"> Register using only one user name</span>, and do not "flood" the board with posts that are off-topic. <span style="color: #FF0000">Creating multiple user accounts or flooding the board will be considered a denial-of-service attack on the forums and will result in your being banned.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who else would you look at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We know AAC mounts suck, so if you want a QD, might want to check out other brands. However, I would not be threading it off and on that many times. If you get it fixed again and decide to keep, I'd hold the latch down for less headache in the future.... </div></div> </div></div>

First off let me say i do not own any aac cans...

I shoot two different Sure Fire cans, their 5.56-FAK and their 7.62-FAK,,, I can't say i have never had an issue but i will say their customer service has done their part...
For a company that's primairy market is with government contracts they sure do still take the time to take care of the little guy...

SEE HERE... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3078227

This post saved me so much money. Thank you Sniper's Hide!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virtufauxso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update:

Seems to me like AAC is all talk and attitude with nothing to back it up. </div></div>

Any news? RMA#/Shipping label show up? This thread has really tainted my view of AAC. I have a Tirant 9 and Pilot 2 in the ATF tax stamp line, but haven't actually used any AAC products. I was considering an AAC 7.62 can, but hearing all this I'm probably going to look elsewhere.

AAC are you listening?

I've heard a lot of people having the same issues with AAC. On a different board I was looking for advice on a 7.62 can "not from aac". I was being as nice as possible, told everyone that I heard they make a great product but the customer service had bad reviews, then I kept getting all kinds of crap about "not knowing what I was talking about" and my "research is invalid". I'm really glad this site is here, it helped me decide not to go with AAC.

If Mers promised to fix this can AGAIN, then he needs to follow through.....but I would make sure this guy knew that it was the LAST LATCH that would be installed. Wear it out again ON PURPOSE and he's on his own. Really, there are no superman metals out there. Something is going to wear. Hold the effing latch down when you screw your can on and the latch doesn't even have to be heat treated - it lasts forever. Doing the same stupid thing over and over and hoping for a different result...there's a name for that.

And yeah, the new 90 tooth ratchet taper mount SR7 is a very nice can. Just like my N6, only with a better mount. Good stuff.

I own or have owned 6 AAC cans: M4-2000 serial number < 100, Phantom 9mm for Beretta and Subguns, First model EVO-9, Ti-RANT .45, 762SD (replaced), and waiting on a 762SDN-6.

I have had problems with 2 of them. Several years ago, I got some bad 'American Ammunition' 147gr subsonic 9mm and it caused a squib and baffle strike through an UZI with the Phantom on it. This was back in the days when Kevin answered the phone. He said he'd fix it no problem but that it would be good if the ammo dealer and/or manufacturer would reimburse his manufacturing cost. I don't know if anyone did pay him, but I got a new can out of the deal no problems.

A few years later, I had been using my 762SD on a .300WM with the 18t brake mount. Before I started using this combo, I called Mike and he said that with my 26" barrel there shouldn't be a problem. But 4-500 rounds later and the tube walls were visibly bulged right where the brake ports are. The can was quiet and the rifle was accurate. Mike replaced it with a 762SDN-6, and replaced 1 18t brake and 3 18t blackouts with 4 new 51t brakes. NO CHARGE FOR ANY OF THIS!!! I'm still waiting on the F4.

Now that is customer service.