• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing The absolute best firearm finish

Re: The absolute best firearm finish

Also what is the main difference between melonite and ionbond? Which is harder, more wear resistant, and easier to apply to small parts like ejector and extractors?

Melonite seems to "penetrate" the metal better thanthan Ion Bond. Which is better for lubricating when there is no oil available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tictar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also what is the main difference between melonite and ionbond? Which is harder, more wear resistant, and easier to apply to small parts like ejector and extractors? </div></div>

Ion Bond the small parts and action, Ion Bond does not get any where near as hot as Melonite.

Melonite the barrel and you are gtg. If you are shooting a barrel burner Melonite is the way to go. If not you can just Ion Bond in too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tictar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also what is the main difference between melonite and ionbond? Which is harder, more wear resistant, and easier to apply to small parts like ejector and extractors? </div></div>

Ion Bond the small parts and action, Ion Bond does not get any where near as hot as Melonite.

Melonite the barrel and you are gtg. If you are shooting a barrel burner Melonite is the way to go. If not you can just Ion Bond in too. </div></div>

Good info. Two questions though:

Would Melonite warp the action because of the temperature the finish is applied at?

So in the process of refinishing a brand new build, would you refinish the barrel and action separately before installing the barrel into the action? Or in other words:

1 True Action, Lap Lugs
2 Ion Bond Action, Bolt Extractor, Ejector, BDL Mag Box, BDL Mag Follower, Mag Spring, Scope Mounts, and Scope Rings
3 Melonite barrel, bolt and recoil lug
4 Install barrel to Action

Given that all of the parts of my current build are stainless steel, would they both finish the same color of black?

1. Could have a chance of that happening, you would need to talk to who ever is going to treat it.

2. Yes you are on track on the build coating/treating process.(I would only melonite the barrel)

3. Mine matched up close enough for me. I wanted performance more than looks.

Mark at Short Action Customs built my rig. He posted some pics of it here. You can check them out and judge for yourself.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...801#Post2839801

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor_blade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Chad said, TiAlN PVD coating, or tungsten DLC. I have both on firearms and they are spectacular. </div></div>
Do you have a source for this coating service?