• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Art Thread

Yeah, my bad....when I say "nobody" I realize there are quite a few who still appreciate fine things and art but I'm bitter. Typical Artist.

View attachment 6979480

Back in Summer 2007 I was making $1000 a week sitting in my basement workshop turning out art grade knives and swords that were more than just beautiful - they could be used hard and often and still be ppassed down as heirlooms. Then the economy hit the shitter, never to fully recover. At least not for what I do. I attended a few higher end cutlery shows and was perturbed by the number of guys who'd look at a $1000 one-off custom tanto and tell me they could buy something just like it in stainless with a cast dragon guard for $49 so where did I get off asking $1000 for something hand made that took a month to finish?

View attachment 6979484

Hard to let it go but it's gone - never to return. Still I have some beautiful stuff and the skills transfer to other jobs that make money and keep me fed. Just bitter that something so cool and satisfying is no longer relevant /useful.

VooDoo

That goes back to a similar issue I mentioned in another thread. Not only are we competing for basically slave labor on jobs, but production of stuff like knives has gotten so good and cheap that nobody sees the value in custom stuff anymore. I do but most don’t. It’s even getting that way with guns. Why pay loads of money to build a custom in something like a 6.5 Creedmoor when you can just buy one that’s fantastic off of the shelf? That’s what is driving the appreciation of all our talents down! Not to mention people don’t seem to have as much expendable cash these days for such items, I know I don’t. Hell, I haven’t even been able to shoot in nearly a year. Time and money is an issue. Mainly time but you get what I am saying. Keep up the great work guys. We got some serious talent in here.

A clock I made along with a chess set.
20150603_074352.jpg
Atrix Backup 184.jpg

snip . . .

These are fantastic! How did you bend the wood for the Dr. Seuss shelf?

. . . snip

So sorry. I was having a bunch of fun on this thread - and then I got sidetracked in other areas of the Hide.

Anyway, to answer your question, the sides are basically a "torsion box" construction. Mine are special because the torsion boxes are intentionally curved instead of flat. Usually you build a torsion box to gain a rigid, flat, light weight structure.

I need rigid and light weight. I just did not want flat. I cut the main frames for the box in the shape I wanted and then "skinned" them with 1/8" bendable plywood (but I guess most all 1/8" thick plywood is bendable). This box was then covered in high pressure laminate (Formica). Of course, the structure is amazingly strong and resists twisting and bending. From there it was a simple matter to find a relatively flat spot (front to back) and install shelf supports through the laminate and plywood and into the main frames.

Naturally, the shelves are straight - because who wants crooked shelves?

Again, sorry for the late response.

Reactions: hermosabeach
I have participated in a group that would not appreciate my politics but we made art that was in the Smithsonian for a while, some publicly displayed for a few years in outdoor art spaces and some taken to Burning Man and featured in various books and documentaries. Some was taken to other festivals and won ribbons.

I would show it but they track unattributed images of their work and people might connect the dots.

Very cool.

So this is a thread for artistically talented members to show off any of their works, and if not talented, feel free to post your favorite painting or sculpture or what have you. I'm leaving them as thumbnails because they're pretty large, so click on 'em to see it better. I also apologize for the camera, I'm not that skilled with it and paintings reflect a lot of light. I put 'em under a skylight and used the flash such that it wouldn't glare too bad to try to get the best color but it still doesn't do it justice. I have others but these are the ones that were handy. All but two were done when I was younger.

I'll go first. I was always into drawing and got in to oils at ~15 or 16. The "Young Sitting Bull" was the first painting I ever executed. I'd messed around to get a feel for them but this was the first serious composition. I believe my mother has the drawing that goes with it (I always do a detailed pencil drawing prior to the painting). It's on gesso'd carboard glued to pressure board (not the best support). It took me a few months to do this one, April to June IIRC.
View attachment 6953377
Then when I went back home a year or so later I did "Okra". My grandmother had some dried okra hanging on an old, nicotine stained wall. I saw it and it made me cry a bit because I realized for the first time she wasn't gonna be around much longer. So it's sort of a tribute to her, kind of a portrait in the abstract sense if you will. She was a very kind but rugged and tough woman. Can't explain why I saw that in the okra, but I did. In this case, I have both the original drawing I did prior and the painting I executed after.
View attachment 6953379
This one is a set of 3 smaller works. The head is a copy of the drawing in "Gray's Anatomy" I did for a study in ink and ink wash; the mail box is sort of what our mailbox in NE looked like at the time and was also a small study; these two were done in the early 90's in NE. Finally, "Iris" which is just a small painting of a photo I found online. I really liked the color and the black background that made it stand out. It's my favorite flower, they come in a myriad of colors and my grandmother grew them. "Iris" was done maybe 9 years ago or so.
View attachment 6953381
The last one is one I've been working on, off and on, for the last few years. I'm not in a rush to finish it but it's nearly done. I only work on it when I really feel it. So after the next few glazes and the rest of the detail work on the face, it'll be finished and ready to varnish. It's oils on a canvas board. I wish I'd used a stretched linen, but oh well. This is Vermeer's "Lacemaker". I figured if was ever to have one hang on my wall, I'd have to do it myself.
View attachment 6953382
The next one I plan on doing is 16x20 copy of Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring". I've already got the linen prepped, stretched and gridded. I do it the old fashioned way with rabbit skin glue sizing, lead white oil ground, heavy stretcher bars and copper tacks. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

I've got a good deal of linen and some prepared gesso boards done the old fashioned way, and I also plan on doing a painting of the picture in my avatar. It's Mt. Rainier with a farm in the foreground. I figure after I move I'll be able to do a lot more, but I've got time on my hands and when I can't do anything due to back, feet or knees, I can paint. It's also calming. Because oils take so long to dry, I can also do multiple works simultaneously and that also keeps it from getting too pedantic or boring.

Anybody else copy famous works? It's obvious I'm a Vermeer fanboy. I travelled to Holland just to see his paintings up close.

I have participated in a group that would not appreciate my politics but we made art that was in the Smithsonian for a while, some publicly displayed for a few years in outdoor art spaces and some taken to Burning Man and featured in various books and documentaries. Some was taken to other festivals and won ribbons.

I would show it but they track unattributed images of their work and people might connect the dots.
But you "did" it Flyer, and that is what matters. Well done. I'd be interested in seeing what you're alluding to, one day. I myself may not be an ARTeeest!, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate something well done.

It is the 2.4 million dollars paid for a red canvas with a yellow dot on it that drives me nuts. That whole concept of "invent-a-value" as opposed to technique, talent, and craftsmanship. But I digress.....

Yeah, valuation is crazy. The first sale sets expectations for future sales so you have to be careful if you make stuff on a large scale, sell too low and you'll never be valued fairly.

I'm not familiar with the painting you describe but often there is a significance beyond the skill required.

To set a good price for stuff I've worked on, even the smaller stuff would have to be high five figure and the big stuff possibly seven.

Sure but for every dot painting and Banksy gag, there is a $10,000,000 violin used to make beautiful music and a bunch of expensive and labor intensive art that gets sold for scrap because a buyer can't be found and storage is expensive.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
One of the biggest problems I run into is that people want heirloom quality at a walmart price.

I love making pieces but very few are willing to pay me anything close to what my time and materials are worth. The winestoppers for example take an hour or more to make each and those blocks are not cheap either... The chess set I posted for example had over 40 hours involved. So even at a shop rate of $10/hour, Im pushing $400 before any materials.

One of the biggest problems I run into is that people want heirloom quality at a walmart price.

I love making pieces but very few are willing to pay me anything close to what my time and materials are worth. The winestoppers for example take an hour or more to make each and those blocks are not cheap either... The chess set I posted for example had over 40 hours involved. So even at a shop rate of $10/hour, Im pushing $400 before any materials.

Yeah, that Dragonscale maille collar I show on the previous page was about $800 in materials, and another 80hrs of labor. When someone asked me how much I would charge to make a piece like that for sale, I quoted $6000 street price and they balked. When I mentioned that was less than half what my hourly rate is at work, and that it couldn't be made by a machine due to the nature of the weave, they began to understand. If you want something unique like that, you're going to pay for it. But, you also (probably) aren't going to ever see another one like it when your spouse wears it out to dinner or some other formal occasion.

Uniqueness=cost. The more unique, the higher the cost.

I always tell the folks that want me to make them something to choose any two -

Good
Fast
Cheap

They almost always choose Good and Cheap - and leave Fast on the table.

I tell them that will be fine, if they don't want it Fast - and then remind them I have been working on the Spiral Staircase in the four-story addition on my house for 18 years now. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, that Dragonscale maille collar I show on the previous page was about $800 in materials, and another 80hrs of labor. When someone asked me how much I would charge to make a piece like that for sale, I quoted $6000 street price and they balked. When I mentioned that was less than half what my hourly rate is at work, and that it couldn't be made by a machine due to the nature of the weave, they began to understand. If you want something unique like that, you're going to pay for it. But, you also (probably) aren't going to ever see another one like it when your spouse wears it out to dinner or some other formal occasion.

Uniqueness=cost. The more unique, the higher the cost.

You make over $150/hr.? Damn. What do you do?

You make over $150/hr.? Damn. What do you do?

R&D Engineering for Defense related systems (but no, I don't make quite that much). Not rocket science, but does require a fair amount of domain knowledge (operational experience) and a solid grasp of software, systems and architecture design. Now think about what I bill out at. That's the mind blowing number.

BTW, I'm pretty sure you left out the material costs from that number and missed some numbers somewhere....

Last edited:
Hi,

This thread is a case in point of the diversity of knowledge the members of this forum have.
It really is unlike any other forum I know of.

We have everyone from pure artist to pure rocket scientist.
If we take the time to communicate with other members through PM and such we can learn a lot from each other and get a feel for which member is the "go to" guy for specific industry related or non industry related questions.

Sincerely,
Theis

What is the process for the internals? I inherited a large grandfathers clock and the internals need reworking.

trying to find someone who knows how to work on old internals is not common....

IIRC, there's a clock repair course in Carlsbad that covers these old time pieces. Just an FYI...if you're looking for someone to do the work, I might know someone that does it as a hobby.

The Library asked "Dr. Seuss book shelf?"

I said "Sure - no problem."

View attachment 6953630

The Chamber of Commerce wanted a new chair for Santa in his cabin. (You know the guy has to be comfortable, right?)

View attachment 6953640

A couple of guys asked me to organize an Honor Flight. They paid for it completely by themselves. I have wonderful memories of it - and now they have something to remember it also. The father of one landed behind the lines at Normandy on D-Day. He put his father's medals inside of the one he received.

View attachment 6953646

Really nice job!

What is the process for the internals? I inherited a large grandfathers clock and the internals need reworking.

trying to find someone who knows how to work on old internals is not common....

I bought my internals from a company called Klockit. Very good company and Ive used them for years.

Depending on what's wrong with yours, I'm not sure I can help. Typically its just a buildup of years of dust. A good cleaning and lube would probably be a start. Be gentle and should be fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I can try and answer (or at least make something up that sounds legit)

Reactions: Barneybdb
I don't watch TV but I friend got me to watch Forged in Fire on DVD....he's a big fan as well.

VooDoo

Forged in Fire usually makes me cringe. Some of the construction is plain frightening.

It doesn't help that the time is compressed so they never want to abandon a mistake.

Also they make weird shit that no one has developed any part of the design or the methods of making them.

If you ask most of the contestants to make a Skinner you would see a lot more of how good they are at doing something that's not entirely out of left field.

As a guy who has designed a few knives and helped in the little stuff like profiling and handle work, I know good work when I see it. I haven't seen too much on that show.

I was lucky enough to take this picture of a E.T. alien hiding/posing behind a Miocene fossil rock --- That was unbeknownst to me during an expedition to Calvert Cliffs, Maryland --- on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay --- During the summer of 1972 --- Camera: Kodak Brownie Box Bullet Camera using Kodak 127 film.

@flyer , I can't "like" what you said enough. I've seen an episode or two of each of them 'shows' and don't bother watching any of them anymore. There just ain't nothing real, or legitimate. And then when the 'crew' go and add extra stresses, panic, and then chaos.... it just makes the drivel worse.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of North American tv 'reality' shows are so far from actual reality that none are worthy of watching. Drama, crisis, and soap-opera only appeal to those of the minimalist of intelligence. Hence why they're democrats life-blood.

Look at that show "Top Shot" from years ago. They took a perfectly viable and interesting idea, and democratted the hell out of it. And that in itself destroyed the show. Potential, destroyed.

And yet these directors and producers keep getting funded for more of this crap. I just shake my head, then go read a book.

Let me first apologize to those who could not see the $200K Porsche 911 Targa in the above images. I understand that some of my photography is a bit abstract and the subject hard to find.. Therefore, I shall explain this next images as i do not want anyone to see things that are or are not in the image.

It was a warm spring afternoon, a field of wild flowers surrounded by century old Oaks and a gently babbling brook cascading down the hillside.

If you cannot see what I have described above, please seek immediate medical attention.

Attachments

• edited-2202-2-1.jpg
    edited-2202-2-1.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 55
Let me first apologize to those who could not see the $200K Porsche 911 Targa in the above images. I understand that some of my photography is a bit abstract and the subject hard to find.. Therefore, I shall explain this next images as i do not want anyone to see things that are or are not in the image.

It was a warm spring afternoon, a field of wild flowers surrounded by century old Oaks and a gently babbling brook cascading down the hillside.

If you cannot see what I have described above, please seek immediate medical attention.

Didn't work...try again.

Reactions: Barneybdb

You need to PM me some more pics of your work.

For research purposes.

Asking for a friend.

I was lucky enough to take this picture of a E.T. alien hiding/posing behind a Miocene fossil rock --- That was unbeknownst to me during an expedition to Calvert Cliffs, Maryland --- on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay --- During the summer of 1972 --- Camera: Kodak Brownie Box Bullet Camera using Kodak 127 film.

865F1895-4768-4C6B-ADCF-4F958A9BF709.jpeg