• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

the awesome 300 Norma

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
I need help with twist rates... I called a Pre-fit barrel company to find out some info, he and other people on this forum would say that 1/9 twist is what the Norma is optimized for.

But when you go to a bullet manufactures website like Sierra and look at the 230 gr it recommends 1/8 or faster. Some would say that the 1/8 twist would RPM the bullet jacket off.

Hornady - if this is even a viable bullet for the 300 NM, Hornady says 1:8.5

Factory rifle twist rates.
Barrett 1:10
Cadex Defense 1:8 only by request they will do a 1:9
Christiansen Arms 1:8

Now most likely I will be shooing the Federal as it is the more viable factory option at this time (till I get brass and start hand loading). Berger recommends 1:10 or faster for the 215 hybrids...

any input on twist rate would greatly help. Thanks

If you intend to shoot on the coastline of Alaska in the winter, a 1:8.5 will cover any .30 cal bullet.

For most folks in most conditions, a 1:9 will stabilize a 250gr A-tip. I shot them in my 1:9 .300 PRC at 1800ft elevation in summer and winter a year or so ago with no stability issues.

ETA: 1:10 will work for most with 225-230gr bullets.

I have a 1-9" on mine and it stabilizes 230gr Bergers with no prob. I'm at 5500ft elevation

My first barrel was a 1-9.5, and I shot the 215 and 230 Bergers with no issues whatsoever. My second barrel is a 1-9, same bullets no issues.

As a rule I try to avoid extra torque on the rifle whenever possible, but you should be listening to Terry a hell of a lot more than you should be me.

8.7 twist on my 30cal and it hammers the 198gr Flatlines. Kinda wish it was a 8 twist however so I could try the 212gr ... as that one will compete with 0.375cal offerings, w/ a G1 BC near 1.0.

• Wow
Reactions: kthomas
8.7 twist on my 30cal and it hammers the 198gr Flatlines. Kinda wish it was a 8 twist however so I could try the 212gr ... as that one will compete with 0.375cal offerings, w/ a G1 BC near 1.0.

Hi,

Yea but the OP is not shooting solids, lol....
I have batch of 7 twist LH GT for some 300NM and monolithic goodness.

Sincerely,
Theis

• Wow
Reactions: 1moaoff
But when you go to a bullet manufactures website like Sierra and look at the 230 gr it recommends 1/8 or faster. Some would say that the 1/8 twist would RPM the bullet jacket off.

Hornady - if this is even a viable bullet for the 300 NM, Hornady says 1:8.5

Thanks

Hornady twist rate recommendations from their site:
250 A Tip is 1/8.5
230 A Tip is 1/9

Berger twist rate recommendations:
215 Target Hybrid is 1/10 or faster. At lower altitudes and lower temperatures you need faster twist rate so the adjusted BC isn't lowered.
230 Target Hybrid is 1/10 or faster. At lower altitudes and lower temperatures you need faster twist rate so the adjusted BC isn't lowered.

I have a 1/9. Plus, listen to Terry Cross. Possibly Dave Tooley will chime in.

Article from Berger and it has a 1:8 twist. Kiote has 1:10. Dang still splitting hairs. But I am leaning towards the 1:8.5.

No one locally carries any of the custom actions and I’ve never played with them. So these are the ones that I know of that make a 338 boltface. ARC Mausingfield, Cadex defense, Defiance Rukus, and the Ultimatum. What action would you go with and why?

the only thing that is a must is that the action must have tight specs so I can use pre-fit barrels.

please and thanks for the help.

The 212 must be a new projectile, I don't even see it on their website. That's a crazy high BC though :oops: