• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The battle of 308’s

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
The wife has baby fever, and I still need a high-end 308 gas gun. I told her before a kid pops out, I’m getting a high-end rifle.

So my thoughts are between the SCAR 17, SR25 or LMT MWS. Here are my thoughts about each:

SCAR- I actually used to own one. I bought it from buds gun shop during my afghan deployment and it sat at my buddied FFL until I came home. It was my first carbine I ever bought. Prior to that, I only had a benelli shotgun and a remington 700 bolt action. I struggled with transitioning back to civi life and had to sell it. I only took it to the range once...so the SCAR has a soft spot for me.

Also, I plan on using my reflex suppressor on it. Therefore, I wouldn’t buy the extended rail or need to chop the barrel on it. I would put a Mk6 1-6, Mk8 1-8 or maybe a 3-18 Mk5 on it.

SR25- this one just has that holy grail type of want for it. My buddy has one and it just screams Murica to me. But I would have to get a KAC suppressor for it and that bumps up the overall cost even higher than I want to pay for a high end rifle. Rounding the corner at $8k with optics, suppressor, and etc. It’s a proven platform and definitely eye candy.

LMT- let’s face it, this is basically an SR25 because LMT makes stuff for KAC, so it’s basically the same but without the KAC logo on the lower. I have an 11.5” LMT that I really enjoy. High quality, easily swap barrels and also a proven system.

In order to use my reflex suppressor, I need 6” from the muzzle to the gas block. With the LMT and KAC, that means I need a 22” barrel but the SCAR looks like it would work with the 16” barrel. Can someone with a SCAR confirm for me?

Uses would be 2-gun comps, general range time, shorter range PRS matches for fun and hunting deer, bear, yotes and whatever else 308 can kill.

Looks like 6.5” to me
F8C84B8A-17B3-4D8E-9B55-C0C765422FC5.jpeg

I would love to see a SCAR with reflex suppressor that goes almost to gas block. That’s my vote.

Its all personally preference, I have all three I honestly, They are all great rifles for their own reasons but honestly IMO I would not consider the Scar a high end 308 gas gun. While its expensive, its cheaply made rifle that does not lend itself to suppression, Especially if pair with an older, higher back pressure can. That doesn't mean its not an incredibly reliable rifle, with decent accuracy for it light barrel profile. its just cheaply put together

Between the SR25 and the MWS, The SR25 is more refined, it shoots smoother and is noticeably lighter than the MWS in its lightest trim. With that being said, I can run a 13.5, 308 barrel or a 20 inch 6.5 inch barrel in the MWS and thats not something that the SRS25 can do without a few thousand dollars for a second upper.

While the Heaviest in the Group by a good half pound, the LMT is the most flexible. You can do blaster stuff with a light 13.5 barrel or you can do longer range with the factory 6.5cm barrel

The SR25 at its core is the pinnacle in combat oriented 308 gas guns, it just does everything a little better, than its peers. Is it worth the premium, Maybe, Maybe not. I like my ACC.

The Scar is not a bad rifle, but just does not have the factory support and when compared to its peers. The recoil impulse is a little weird IMO.

Is it true that changing the muzzle device on the SCAR voids the warranty? I’d imagine that is a concern for the OP if that’s the case.

When Battlefield Vegas has no breakage on their 17 until just before 100k rounds, most of which is full auto, i wouldn't worry about the warranty.

Most SCARs dont suppress well because they come from FN overgassed. Buy an 8 dollar factory gas jet from midwest industries and swap it out with the new smaller jet.

The wife has baby fever, and I still need a high-end 308 gas gun. I told her before a kid pops out, I’m getting a high-end rifle.

So my thoughts are between the SCAR 17, SR25 or LMT MWS. Here are my thoughts about each:

SCAR- I actually used to own one. I bought it from buds gun shop during my afghan deployment and it sat at my buddied FFL until I came home. It was my first carbine I ever bought. Prior to that, I only had a benelli shotgun and a remington 700 bolt action. I struggled with transitioning back to civi life and had to sell it. I only took it to the range once...so the SCAR has a soft spot for me.

Also, I plan on using my reflex suppressor on it. Therefore, I wouldn’t buy the extended rail or need to chop the barrel on it. I would put a Mk6 1-6, Mk8 1-8 or maybe a 3-18 Mk5 on it.

SR25- this one just has that holy grail type of want for it. My buddy has one and it just screams Murica to me. But I would have to get a KAC suppressor for it and that bumps up the overall cost even higher than I want to pay for a high end rifle. Rounding the corner at $8k with optics, suppressor, and etc. It’s a proven platform and definitely eye candy.

LMT- let’s face it, this is basically an SR25 because LMT makes stuff for KAC, so it’s basically the same but without the KAC logo on the lower. I have an 11.5” LMT that I really enjoy. High quality, easily swap barrels and also a proven system.

In order to use my reflex suppressor, I need 6” from the muzzle to the gas block. With the LMT and KAC, that means I need a 22” barrel but the SCAR looks like it would work with the 16” barrel. Can someone with a SCAR confirm for me?

Uses would be 2-gun comps, general range time, shorter range PRS matches for fun and hunting deer, bear, yotes and whatever else 308 can kill.

A. 308 sucks get 6.5CM
B. The MWS is NOT a SR25, so check your facts.
C. The Scar sucks to suppress
D. The MK8 is the only optic the 17 MAY not kill
E. You will have trouble finding any of these right now. Picked a poor time to get into it.

That does make the SR25 more appealing. The SCAR just seemed like something you could still use for say 3-gun heavy metal division and poke steel at intermediate ranges.

I know the LMT is a pig from what I hear. My 5.56 upper from LMT is a PITA with a suppressor. I put all tungsten weights in my buffer to tame it down. With an H2 buffer, it was beating the crap out of the gun.

Good thing I have some time to think about this as everything is hard to get right now.

Having professionally carried a MK17 SCAR as well as the MK20 SSR and having used them suppressed, I can tell you that crabsandfootball is not correct. If you think the SCAR is overgassed at any point, it will cost you 8 bucks to fix it. Will an overgassed AR10 be that cheap to fix? NO. The SCAR is a piston gun which will inherently run better suppressed than a quasi-DI type gun such as the AR10 variants. The SCAR is a very accurate rifle and will stay below MOA as long as you keep it from getting super hot. Even then, it will still be good on any reasonable target out to 800.
I am not saying it is the gun for you, but don't let crabby people talk you out of it. SOCOM likes it. Alot.

Also, wait until before Christmas (as long as you think the election is going to go Trump's way). With tons of folks out of work for much of this year, you are going to see some really nice stuff pop up for fricking amazing deals to pay for Christmas presents.

Reactions: aslrookie
Personally say buy once, cry once and get that SR25. You won’t be disappointed and it’s going to hold its value well

Having professionally carried a MK17 SCAR as well as the MK20 SSR and having used them suppressed, I can tell you that crabsandfootball is not correct. If you think the SCAR is overgassed at any point, it will cost you 8 bucks to fix it. Will an overgassed AR10 be that cheap to fix? NO. The SCAR is a piston gun which will inherently run better suppressed than a quasi-DI type gun such as the AR10 variants. The SCAR is a very accurate rifle and will stay below MOA as long as you keep it from getting super hot. Even then, it will still be good on any reasonable target out to 800.
I am not saying it is the gun for you, but don't let crabby people talk you out of it. SOCOM likes it. Alot.

What ammo seems to work best with them? The twist rate is a 1:12 which to me says lighter/shorter bullets like in the 110-150gr area.

What ammo seems to work best with them? The twist rate is a 1:12 which to me says lighter/shorter bullets like in the 110-150gr area.

A 12 twist is fine for 175smk and similar bullets to a grand or so.

I can't say anything about the SCAR17, but I own a SR25, and used to own a MWS.

I owned a LMT MWS "Gen 1" nearly a decade ago. It had a 16" chrome lined barrel. It was accurate, reliable, and a bit heavy. This was an old model, and the MWS line up has expanded a lot since then, but this old one was over gassed to the point that it egged out the ejection port. Old MWS's came with single ejector bolts so that might have contributed to the violent ejection.
L1000520.JPG

New MWS start at $2399 MSRP which is really nice. Barrel changes are secure, and super easy. The monolithic rail is solid. The barrels are also threaded with a normal thread pitch and shoulder. You are able to buy MWS lowers separately (Knight's doesn't) to make a large frame pistol, and take advantage of LMT's 13.5" barrels if you wanted.

A new development for the MWS are the Black River Tactical restricted gas tubes. You can tune a MWS however you want.

Out of the box, the SR25 is noticeably lighter, and more refined even while suppressed. It also has an elongated ejection port which helps with ejection. The main disadvantage is that the SR25 has a 3/4" threaded muzzle with no shoulder which limits your options for suppressors and muzzle devices.

You specified 308, but there has been a movement in recent years with large frame gas guns being chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. If you ever change your mind, and wanted 6.5 Creedmoor, then the LMT, and FN MK20 are going to be better options. Knights doesn't sell their SR25 lowers separately. They rarely come up on gunbroker. Knights' 6.5 Creedmoor is only available as an upper currently for $3,780. That's a lot of money on top of $4,000 - $5000 rifle. (LMT MWS lowers are compatible with SR25 uppers for a cheaper alternative).

In my opinion, the SR25 is better out of the box . Is it ~$1500+ better? No. But, if you want a Knights that is what you're going to have to pay.

The real problem is finding what you want in stock, and at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
So, I'm not a semi-auto guy, but have you considered the Seekins SP-10 in .308?

So, I'm not a semi-auto guy, but have you considered the Seekins SP-10 in .308?

Yeah, not interested in the seekins. That’s more of a PRS style rig and I want more of a carbine style rig.

Reactions: Baron23
So here’s my question, I get more large frame guns are moving to 6.5cm, but if you’re rapid firing rounds in a 2-gun or 3-gun comp...how much more rapidly does that kill barrel life when 6.5cm already has a much lower life than 308?

My main attraction for 308 is the long barrel life even when the barrel gets hot.

Owned a Scar for the last 10 years and just sold it. I'm a huge fan of the gun. Fn and their support however suck ass and its been 10 years and we haven't gotten 1/10th the shit they initally promised (modular upgrades, caliber change kits, ect)

And yes it sucks suppressed. It requires a collar just to install any decent mount correctly. The factory Gas settings suck. Yes you can buy a part reduce the gas but you are also reducing the reliability of the system, which is one of its strengths.

Maybe its different in SOCOM but in Big Army It was generally frowned upon to install non tested/vetted parts that change the gas/piston system of any weapon system. At least I don't remember it from the 45B schoolhouse.

So here’s my question, I get more large frame guns are moving to 6.5cm, but if you’re rapid firing rounds in a 2-gun or 3-gun comp...how much more rapidly does that kill barrel life when 6.5cm already has a much lower life than 308?

My main attraction for 308 is the long barrel life even when the barrel gets hot.
Barrel life is irreverent.

Cost of shooting out a barrel will make barrel replacement cost a non factor.

Performance however is drastically different between the two.

Only experience is with an MWS. mine started out as a 13.5 with perm attached flash hider. With a 4-16 vortex pst and 168smk I was able to achieve around .75” at 100. I decided that the weight of the gun is more suited to a dmr setup compared to a run a gun setup. I traded for a 16” barrel and with the same handload was under .7” the rifle is smoother with the longer barrel, once I get the funds I plan on a sending the barrel out to get changed. Out of your three I would choose a lmt mws with mars-H lower. And use the rest on optics/ammo. The kac is no doubt a fine rifle but at double the cost 4500 compared to 2200 I couldn’t justify the expense

Reactions: dollarrbill
MR762. Heavy, ackert, reliable. I loved mine but dumped it for a custom AR15 grendel, happier but gotta admit the HK was a sweet bitch and shot lights the fuck out. I dunno about your barrel to block requirements but maybe it would do the trick off the rack, which is good because it's fucking expensive.

I am kinda in the same situation looking for a lighter weight 16-18” .308 to engage targets to roughly 800 yards in field team matches. I have thought about the 6.5CM, but almost no aftermarket 6.5CM barrels are that short.

I have been considering the LMT MWS, Seekins SP10, and the Daniel Defense DD5v4.

if you are thinking about running this setup for both run n gun stuff as well as stretching it out a bit I would definitely recommend a 308. You will burn out a 6.5 barrel rather quickly with rapid fire. It won't be horrible, but the 308 will last noticeably longer. With the weapons systems you are talking about changing a barrel is a little more expensive than normal.

Reactions: aslrookie
MR762. Heavy, ackert, reliable. I loved mine but dumped it for a custom AR15 grendel, happier but gotta admit the HK was a sweet bitch and shot lights the fuck out. I dunno about your barrel to block requirements but maybe it would do the trick off the rack, which is good because it's fucking expensive.

I forgot all about the Hk!

I am kinda in the same situation looking for a lighter weight 16-18” .308 to engage targets to roughly 800 yards in field team matches. I have thought about the 6.5CM, but almost no aftermarket 6.5CM barrels are that short.

I have been considering the LMT MWS, Seekins SP10, and the Daniel Defense DD5v4.
Look at a JP ultralight LRP07 or the newer smaller frame. Look up Dustin Sanchez he works and shoots for JP. He runs heavy division (.308) almost exclusively. If they turn you off Look at Larue Predatar (lighter profile) or PredaTOBR (heavier profile). I have run the PredaTOBR in a club PRS and the first PRS gas gun event a few years back. All the misses I accrued were my fault not the tool. It shoots 168 GMM @ about 2500fps with an 18" barrel 1/10 twist. Just a couple ideas to add for your consideration. They may have the barrel length you seek for 6.5.

Reactions: blbennett1288
I’ll sell you a Barrett REC10 if it interests you. I switched to a bolt gun fever and I’m going through that money burning venture haha.

i went through this same decision process. I wanted a .308 battle rifle, and narrowed it down to the MWS or the Barrett. The Knights are cool but they aren’t with the money now. 10-20 years ago, they definitely were. I couldn’t get over the weight of the MWS. It’s a cool fun but I don’t need to switch barrels and it’s over ten pounds totally empty with no optic. I grabbed the Barrett and it’s a sweet gun with some nice design features. I never had interest in the SCAR because of a couple of it’s big downsides, I.e. I don’t want a gun that I can’t trust due to constant optic failure and I don’t want something as unsupported as the SCAR. I can grab any DPMS pattern parts I want for the Barrett if I ever need, or drop in JP parts.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Just get this the ultimate 7.62 (and 5.56)😁. Going to be a wee bit heavier than the other options and a shit ton more 💰💰💰 but I love it!! I have the Swiss Sig 751, KAC SR25, HK MR762 and SCAR 17. The bottom line is that the bolt guns almost always go to the range over the semi’s. Still love them and wouldn’t sell them. Good luck with your decision.
2E159A46-A17D-4EC3-8A42-3FA116C6102A.jpeg
Y
58E53182-2A8D-404B-8996-93D90ADA69DC.jpeg

I think one has to distinguish using one professionally in a well funded organization with full Factory support shooting a very narrow range of ammunition to use in the civilian world.

I agree that of all issued 308 gas guns, the Scar may be the easiest to remedy for over gassing, but it is the most likely to suffer a catastrophic failure if tuned correctly. There is at least one account account of re-jetted Scar 17 rupturing a carrier when paired with a low back pressure can. Anecdotal, yes, but something that one needs to be aware of. If I had a FN can and a couple cans of AB39, this would not be an issue,

I think that all of the Scars short comings can be overcome, but doing so brings up the the rifles price tag to the point that one could make the argument the SR25 might be a better option. I think the one area where the Scar fares better than the SR25 is its ability to neglect maintenance for longer periods of time.

With the MWS you can do both

SCAR with nx8 1-8 get my
Vote. Just hard to get any triggers for them right now for some unknown reason. Mine seems to suppresses just fine. Shoots Anything you put in it plenty accurate. And you won’t find a lighter .308 with such little recoil anywhere. Lots of guys hunt with them. I can’t say about support for it from FN since I have never had issues. Could get it and the lmt and sell the one you don’t like. Can’t speak in the KAC. I’m too poor to go that route.

I can't say anything about the SCAR17, but I own a SR25, and used to own a MWS.

I owned a LMT MWS "Gen 1" nearly a decade ago. It had a 16" chrome lined barrel. It was accurate, reliable, and a bit heavy. This was an old model, and the MWS line up has expanded a lot since then, but this old one was over gassed to the point that it egged out the ejection port. Old MWS's came with single ejector bolts so that might have contributed to the violent ejection.
View attachment 7430878

New MWS start at $2399 MSRP which is really nice. Barrel changes are secure, and super easy. The monolithic rail is solid. The barrels are also threaded with a normal thread pitch and shoulder. You are able to buy MWS lowers separately (Knight's doesn't) to make a large frame pistol, and take advantage of LMT's 13.5" barrels if you wanted.

A new development for the MWS are the Black River Tactical restricted gas tubes. You can tune a MWS however you want.

Out of the box, the SR25 is noticeably lighter, and more refined even while suppressed. It also has an elongated ejection port which helps with ejection. The main disadvantage is that the SR25 has a 3/4" threaded muzzle with no shoulder which limits your options for suppressors and muzzle devices.

You specified 308, but there has been a movement in recent years with large frame gas guns being chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. If you ever change your mind, and wanted 6.5 Creedmoor, then the LMT, and FN MK20 are going to be better options. Knights doesn't sell their SR25 lowers separately. They rarely come up on gunbroker. Knights' 6.5 Creedmoor is only available as an upper currently for $3,780. That's a lot of money on top of $4,000 - $5000 rifle. (LMT MWS lowers are compatible with SR25 uppers for a cheaper alternative).

In my opinion, the SR25 is better out of the box . Is it ~$1500+ better? No. But, if you want a Knights that is what you're going to have to pay.

The real problem is finding what you want in stock, and at a reasonable price.

The only thing that I would add about this line is that if one pursues a Mk20 in 6.5cm, they should not expect to be able to shoot 308 as FN does not sell mk20 barrel assemblies. so if one ones to shoot 308 out of a mk20, they would have to cough up another 4k for second mk20 in 308.

SCAR has basically no support and FN will tell you to pound sand on support requests.
good thing they don't actually break very often, although it would be nice if parts were more readily available.
somebody was bragging how he could find spare parts for his glock pretty easily in an eotwawki situation.
i told him if being able to find parts was a concern for my primary firearm, i'd toss it and get a real gun.

anyway, isn't the 20S a closer comparison to the lmt and sr-25?
i have not shot the lmt or kac, but i would love to have either.
i can say the Scar 20S might be the easiest .308 factory gas gun to shoot well and keep on target.
notably, i am only saying this because it is so easy for me, having shot only handguns, shotguns and rimfires before taking mine to the range.
i have my dad's .308 winchester model 88, but i have rarely shot it since he passed away.

Reactions: freedom71
good thing they don't actually break very often, although it would be nice if parts were more readily available.
somebody was bragging how he could find spare parts for his glock pretty easily in an eotwawki situation.
i told him if being able to find parts was a concern for my primary firearm, i'd toss it and get a real gun.
I had problems with mine and insiders I knew at the time said it wasn’t an uncommon problem to have.

No problems with my 16 though, aside from needing a smaller gas jet which I’ll one day get to.

I am interested in the responses as well. Can a JP 16" be as reliable as a Scar? Could a custom 16" Seekins be reliable.
In general, could you take a PRS gun, cut the barrel length to 16" and make it your "battle" rifle?

Is there a gun with a happy medium, maybe not the best for PRS but can handle the rigors of duty and get great accuracy for matches as well?

I would look at the JP, KAC, LMT and HK in that order.

I guess it also depends on how quickly you want the rifle. I have seen KAC, LMT, and HK in the LGS.

I'm telling you right now the HK runs circles around the LMT. Only thing the LMT has is barrel swap options, which is probably also why it's consistently not as accurate based on my limited real world range experiences. Could probably say the same about the KAC for different reasons, but I can't personally speculate since I've never shot the KAC. I have shot the LMT MWS and was not impressed at all, so if they are comparable I can logically guess I wouldn't be too impressed with the KAC for what I wanted. Get the HK, a G28 stock, and you'll be in hog heaven I shit you not. If not the HK then a JP, but in my opinion the MWS and SR-25 just don't stack up unless you're gonna spend months out in Oogaboogastan— even then the HK would be my first choice still.

I am interested in the responses as well. Can a JP 16" be as reliable as a Scar? Could a custom 16" Seekins be reliable.
In general, could you take a PRS gun, cut the barrel length to 16" and make it your "battle" rifle?

Is there a gun with a happy medium, maybe not the best for PRS but can handle the rigors of duty and get great accuracy for matches as well?
I can vouch for JP. I’ve been shooting them since 2012. I’ve had only one malfunction in all that time that wasn’t related to me tuning the gas for the Ammo I was running. That includes 4 different JP’s- 3 .223 Wydle and 1 .300BO. There are 4-5 guys in my circle that have or have run the heavies (308) in dirty terrain matches (rm3g, tx3g) that will sing the same songs. We pretty much all run them wet and dirty ( good bit of lube and don’t clean them much).

Reactions: svxwilson
I can vouch for JP. I’ve been shooting them since 2012. I’ve had only one malfunction in all that time that wasn’t related to me tuning the gas for the Ammo I was running. That includes 4 different JP’s- 3 .223 Wydle and 1 .300BO. There are 4-5 guys in my circle that have or have run the heavies (308) in dirty terrain matches (rm3g, tx3g) that will sing the same songs. We pretty much all run them wet and dirty ( good bit of lube and don’t clean them much).

Thank you as i have been going back and forth. I do have a feeling once I buy from them it will become addicting. My wife is going to hate me lol.

Reactions: Nicholas Borne
I have a couple personal beefs with JP. I think they make great rifles, but I just have some personal things about it that don't align with me.

1) I don't need a super thick barrel profile
2) I don't need a heat sink adding more weight and less compatible with other rails
3) not a fan of JP tubular rails with proprietary attachments

Being local to JP, I see JP guns quite regularly at competitions. They just don't appeal to me for the reasons I listed above. I would rather have the older LaRue OBR's than a JP.

So far:

SCAR-

1) don't need to buy a new suppressor
2) reflex suppressor would definitely look cool coming all the way back to the piston (because looks are 90% right? lol)
3) not worried about the gas system because the AMTAC has very little blowback pressure
4) kinda clunky...con
5) apparent lack of support from FN...con
6) accuracy walks once the barrel heats up...con

SR25-

1) the holy grail of pantie droppers
2) the CC version is slimmed down and refined
3) comes in 16" barrel length
4) most expensive...con
5) would need to buy a KAC suppressor...adds another $1700 to the cost...con

LMT-

1) Heaviest rifle...con
2) LMT sells spare parts, barrels and etc right on their website
3) easily serviceable
4) doesn't break the bank
5) would also need a new suppressor for it...adds another $1200
6) gassy guns

HK-

Need to do more homework on it.

@aslrookie - why do you think you need to run a KAC suppressor if you buy a SR25 ACC/APC (or any SR25 other than the ER/EMR/Mk11 Mod 0 or Mod 1/m110)?

@aslrookie - why do you think you need a KAC suppressor if you buy a SR25 ACC/APC (or any SR25 other than the ER/EMR/Mk11 Mod 0 or Mod 1/m110)?

Well it wouldn't work with my reflex suppressor with a 16" barrel and if I bought something like a SF suppressor, muzzle device, had the barrel cut and re-threaded for 5/8-24 than I am spending the same amount or more instead if I just bought a 762 QDC suppressor and not have any of the other hassle.

Maybe I’ll make this easy. .308 AR’s kinda suck for almost every application where another gun can be chosen. Pick the one that makes you the happiest and run it.

Maybe I’ll make this easy. .308 AR’s kinda suck for almost every application where another gun can be chosen. Pick the one that makes you the happiest and run it.

There is always one fun sucker lol

Well it wouldn't work with my reflex suppressor with a 16" barrel and if I bought something like a SF suppressor, muzzle device, had the barrel cut and re-threaded for 5/8-24 than I am spending the same amount or more instead if I just bought a 762 QDC suppressor and not have any of the other hassle.

What reflex can are you running?

Also, surefire makes a SOCOM mount (brake and flash hider versions) for SR25s threaded 3/4x24 so no barrel muzzle work would be needed.