• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report The Berger Nationals: Heavy apparently is in now.

You can shoot what you like, but ya better be real good with'um cuz the heavies are high on the leader board!!

IF you can get them to shoot, meaning you need a rifle chambered to load them properly, the advantage of the longer heavier bullets in terms of wind resistance is obvious. However, it comes at the cost of a much greater need for proper recoil management. Nothing is free and heavier higher BC bullets are never going to be a substitute for good wind reading skills.

Most of the shooters atop the leader board at Berger would have still been there had they been using 185s or 180s because they're really, really good shooters/wind readers; not solely because they shot 200+ gr bullets. But in a game where even 1 or 2 points over the course of a match means the difference between winning and not winning, of course they are going to try for every advantage possible. Simply switching to heavier high BC bullets will not put a shooter with poor wind reading skills into the upper echelons.

Last fall at FCNC, I watched several shooters from the UK F-TR team post fantastic scores using 155s in challenging wind conditions. One might argue they could have done even better with a heavier higher BC bullet. Nonetheless, they shot well with a light bullet because of their outstanding wind reading skills. Unless you have those, it really won't make much difference what bullet you're shooting.

Last edited:
IF you can get them to shoot, meaning you need a rifle chambered to load them properly, the advantage of the longer heavier bullets in terms of wind resistance is obvious. However, it comes at the cost of a much greater need for proper recoil management. Nothing is free and heavier higher BC bullets are never going to be a substitute for good wind reading skills.

Most of the shooters atop the leader board at Berger would have still been there had they been using 185s or 180s because they're really, really good shooters/wind readers; not solely because they shot 200+ gr bullets. But in a game where even 1 or 2 points over the course of a match means the difference between winning and not winning, of course they are going to try for every advantage possible. Simply switching to heavier high BC bullets will not put a shooter with poor wind reading skills into the upper echelons.

Last fall at FCNC, I watched several shooters from the UK F-TR team post fantastic scores using 155s in challenging wind conditions. One might argue they could have done even better with a heavier higher BC bullet. Nonetheless, they shot well with a light bullet because of their outstanding wind reading skills. Unless you have those, it really won't make much difference what bullet you're shooting.

True......My buddy Alton Britt finished 5th overall last week at the Berger Nationals in FTR and he was using 185 Juggernauts and I think Steve Siracusa was using a .223 with 90 grainers and he finished 7th in FTR if i remember correctly.