• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The best chronograph

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Over the years I've tried so many chronographs that I shudder to think of it. So much money and time wasted.

Lately I've been using a PVM-21. By and large I've been happy with it. It has produced the most accurate readings of any chronograph I have used before it. However, it does seem to have it's shortcomings. It is decidedly european in its design and in regard to the power cable. The computer software interface is clunky and dated. I could overlook those things, but what I cannot overlook is the fact that it will not successfully and reliably read small and fast cartridges. My 22-243 stops being read right around 3900-4000fps. Anything over that, and I get the "no start" error. A friend's 17-204 produces the same results in his PVM-21. Slower cartridges have no issues with it that I've found to date.

So I'm in the market for a better chronograph, and would ask that anyone with extensive experience with high end chronographs chime in and let me know which models/options I should be looking at. I'm not opposed to models that require a "tunnel" configuration to work correctly. A computer interface would be a bonus, but not required. The ability to record at least 25-50 shot strings and play back the velocities is required. Ability to successfully clock 17 and 22cal projo's up to around 4500fps reliably is required. It needs to read down to around 600-800fps on the low end.

My budget is flexible. I really don't know what the more advanced systems cost, but obviously the $800'ish PVM isnt' cutting it.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

I honestly have no clue what a good chrono is, because I don't have a single one,

But is the Magnetospeed V2 any good for what you are looking at. Or is that to "Low end" at $375. You said something about $800 for the PVM, so it might be in another class

Jake

Over the years I've tried so many chronographs that I shudder to think of it. So much money and time wasted.

Lately I've been using a PVM-21. By and large I've been happy with it. It has produced the most accurate readings of any chronograph I have used before it. However, it does seem to have it's shortcomings. It is decidedly european in its design and in regard to the power cable. The computer software interface is clunky and dated. I could overlook those things, but what I cannot overlook is the fact that it will not successfully and reliably read small and fast cartridges. My 22-243 stops being read right around 3900-4000fps. Anything over that, and I get the "no start" error. A friend's 17-204 produces the same results in his PVM-21. Slower cartridges have no issues with it that I've found to date.

So I'm in the market for a better chronograph, and would ask that anyone with extensive experience with high end chronographs chime in and let me know which models/options I should be looking at. I'm not opposed to models that require a "tunnel" configuration to work correctly. A computer interface would be a bonus, but not required. The ability to record at least 25-50 shot strings and play back the velocities is required. Ability to successfully clock 17 and 22cal projo's up to around 4500fps reliably is required. It needs to read down to around 600-800fps on the low end.

My budget is flexible. I really don't know what the more advanced systems cost, but obviously the $800'ish PVM isnt' cutting it.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Funny thing

I was just looking for a Chronograph and had my eye on the PVM-21. I too am in the market for a high end Chronograph, unfortunately this will be my first Chronograph so I don't have any experience to share.. The company that makes the PVM-21 also makes another model (BMC-31). I looked at them a few years back, but they were too expensive for me.. Take a look and see what you think. Being that you obviosly know more about Chronographs than I do, I would be interested in your thoughts…

I think these people might be able to answer or address your issues with the PVM-21.
    www.kurzzeit.com

Thank you and good luck...

Last edited:
    Check out the Steinert Super Chrono acoustic chronograph. Will measure speeds up over 5,000 fps and it's accuracy is "Individually calibrated to ±0.5% of measured velocity or better"

SuperChrono Standard

It's an acoustic chrono and the sensors are triggered by the passing of the "mach cone". Not affected by lighting conditions, has a wider sensor "window" and no screens or supports to set up.

$350 from Triad Tactical.

If I put another bullet in my PACT I'll solve two problems. One will be the replacing of the dead chrono and the other will be never, ever, having to deal with PACT customer service again.

An added benefit to the acoustic chrono over the optical versions is that the method of triggering sensors. Optical sensors are prone to error due to bullet design which can each sensor to trigger off a different portion of the bullet shadow. The edge of the sound wave is more defined and is independent of the bullet design. I think you'll find he acoustic chronographs in use by people such as Brian Litz (in one form or another) due to their accuracy. Perhaps doppler systems are more accurate but also far more expensive.

Last edited:
    Oehler 85 combined with the Oehler 86 is the tits. It isn't cheap. Don't' confuse this system with the Oehler 35P.

Last edited:
    I love my magneto speed v2. I can set it up in less than 2 minutes, I can use it indoors, in the rain or whatever. I know a lot of people don't like anything touching the barrel but I have not noticed any difference in groups with it on or off the barrel. There are probably other options that are more flexible in some cases but it serves its purpose just fine for what I need it to do. Ive shot with it one though some friends higher end traditional chrono's and didnt notice much if any difference in readouts. would be nice If I could use it on some of my match pistols though.. Im sure there is a way to do it but I honestly don't care.

Both units had a tendency to repeat velocity readings. In a string of 10 shots, I'd often see the same velocity 4 plus times. It's impossible to get 2611fps 5 times in 10 shots with ES of 25fps string after string. All the while I was cross referencing with a V2 and a 35P. In one experiment I had all 4 chronos running at the same time. The manufacturer admitted they had some issues with some chips. It destroyed my confidence in the product and the technology.

would be nice If I could use it on some of my match pistols though...

Visualize one of those mounts that was used to hold a laser under the bottom of semi-auto framed pistols. They clamped tot he front of the trigger guard. Fabricate a basic mount like this then add whatever you need to then secure the sensors in the proper position under the bullet path.

I have them all, well almost all of them.

Oehler 35P, PVM, CED M2, and Super Chrono, and 2 magneto speeds.

I use the MagnetoSpeed more than any other now thanks to the accuracy and ease of set up.

They are very accurate, reliable, easy to set up and use under a variety of situations I find myself in. Can't say enough nice stuff about it compared to the others.

Another vote for the V2. You can use it in any weather or lighting condition, you don't have to go down range or carry a stand to set it up on, it's easy to set up and fast. It's also damn accurate. I don't see myself ever buying another chronograph.

Visualize one of those mounts that was used to hold a laser under the bottom of semi-auto framed pistols. They clamped tot he front of the trigger guard. Fabricate a basic mount like this then add whatever you need to then secure the sensors in the proper position under the bullet path.

I'm not really concerned with my pistol loads. I know they work for what I need them to do but I do use it on my precision rifles for more load data and that's about it. While at the range I was able to let 4 people chrono their loads in less than 10 minutes. Sure they could have moved to another bench with a traditional setup but then I take a chance on them shooting the dang chrono or tripod. If I set the magneto speed up I know they cant shoot the thing. Its small, comes in a nice case for transport and I'm able to keep up with every shot on a spreadsheet where I can add notes on groupings, temp, DA or whatever else. The more data I have the better in my eyes so I will usually run my first 5 shots of the day through it and note any variations to see how it affects ballistics down range. For that its an invaluable resource. Plus I don't have to hold anyone up while setting up a normal chrono at the range, Just wait until everyone is hot and throw it on. Way to simple and easy compared to traditional methods.

Attachments

• radar.jpg
      radar.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 30
    Last edited:
    I have them all, well almost all of them.

Oehler 35P, PVM, CED M2, and Super Chrono, and 2 magneto speeds.

I use the MagnetoSpeed more than any other now thanks to the accuracy and ease of set up.

They are very accurate, reliable, easy to set up and use under a variety of situations I find myself in. Can't say enough nice stuff about it compared to the others.

THIS! ^^^^^^^^^ Hands down..

This company (Infinition) makes the LabRadar… They also have these that seem like they're light years away..

BR-1001

Attachments

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 27
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 19
    Last edited:
    Magneto speed is difficult to beat in terms of accuracy and ease of use. The one compromise is that IF you're using it while load developing or zeroing, it MIGHT affect your group size or POI. However in my use of it, these concerns have been non-issues. The accuracy and ease of use easily outweight these potential downsides, just bringing them up to be thorough.

My favorite conventional chrono is the Oehler, followed by CED M2 if cost is an issue. Don't waste the time/money on the low end chronies, you'll burn more powder chasing ghosts. My experience with the PVM-21 was disappointing, especially considering the cost. Summary; two units mounted in tandem resulted in readings which disagreed up to 100 fps on some shots. I struggled with this until one of the units just died and I shelved it.

Superchrono is one of the least accurate units I've ever seen. The good things are that it's easy to set up and never misses a shot, but the numbers are horribly inaccurate when compared to known accurate chronos.

This subject could become a book, but these would be the high points.

Take care,
    -Bryan

I found the PVM was really picky. I had to mark the frame with a water line to use. If you changed any angle at all through it you got a different number. The software and computer connection never worked right for me either. I contacted the code writer got updated drivers and still it never communicated properly to the computer. You basically had to be perfect shooting through it for any consistency in the readings.

The CED M2 is great little unit, fast, easy, accurate. That unit served me well for a long time. It's worth the money.

I know people love the Oehlers but man it's big, unwieldy to set up, requires too much effort to be efficient when you consider the competition. Might have good numbers, but it takes too long to set up and too much room.

At SHOT I got the new brain for the MagnetoSpeed (Haven't tried it yet) but they have updated the engine, and the unit is being adjusted, they showed a new version at the Mile High Booth. It's 50/50 on whether it changes my POI with my selection of rifles. My GAP B6D has no change or impact in use, which is great. Other rifles I have seen the impacts rise but not change or open up. You just have to know it can throw your POI off by a few inches. I use it every single Precision Rifle Class I teach here in CO. We chronograph the entire class indoors with a MagnetoSpeed and then print everyone a dope card from either JBM or the loaner ATRAG units. To date we've had great success with it. Indoors there is no good light, so the magnetoSpeed works great.

Another vote for the V2 Magneto Speed. My K31, Rem 700 and Fal show no POI change. Well, maybe less than an inch and this is at 500yds foe testing nodes and it is more than likely me and not the V2.

Bryan, what is this New "BRAIN" you speak of? Can the current V2's be upgraded?

The magnetospeed is out, specifically because my primary need for a chrono is load development and proofing. I can't take the chance that the outcome of testing will be affected by something foreign attached to the muzzle. That doppler unit seems to be the next logical step. I'm REALLY liking that idea, and with a reported MSRP of $500, you can bet your ass I'm going to give one a shot. I was willing to pay up to $5000 or so to solve this problem, so if I can solve it for $500, I'll be happy as a pig in slop.

Due to past experiences with "miracle" chrono's, I'm not holding my breath though. They are just so wishy washy. I had a CED M2. It was a piece of shit! My PVM is pure bliss in comparison. ... then you have Bryan Litz saying the exact opposite. I have no doubt that neither of us are wrong, and that's the problem with consumer chronographs. Thus, I'm fully prepared to buy a lab-grade unit that requires a tunnel... if it means I won't have to buy another goddamn chronograph.

You're missing out, I have not found a issue with load development with it. I have posted comparisons between rifles with the MagnetoSpeed and they maintain their accuracy.

if I can find the images I will post it, but i put it on my KMW and Tac OPs rifle and they maintained .25 MOA or better accuracy, it just moved the group an 1" high.

Right now the doppler thing is vaporware... they say Spring of 2014. I have signed up to buy one, but I am not holding my breath.

Br-3505

This model is one above entry level on their site. Maybe you can make sense of all these numbers…

Either way, I'm going to hold off in buying anything yet and wait and see how the LabRadar shakes it's tail feather in the spring...

Attachments

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 25
    • BR-3503 Brochure Rev4.jpg
      BR-3503 Brochure Rev4.jpg
      550.4 KB · Views: 19
    Last edited:
    I can only say a bit and my pictures are limited.

They updated the whole unit, the Brain, the Bayonet, etc. They simplified a few things, tweaked how it operates, small but solid changes.

1044862_631954456854161_1739518920_n.jpg

The red is the new bayonet, the brain is just in front.

Here is V2 with the new Brain next to it, I don't have the new Bayonet it was not ready.

12117_10152243574677953_2025258710_n.jpg

Will they be offering an upgrade to move from the v2 to the newest "brain" or I guess the main question is would it be worth it if it was for example 100 bucks or whatever. I'm perfectly happy with the data I get from mine and constantly shoot sub 1/4moa groups with it attached like you mentioned. For something under 500 bucks I don't see anything getting close to a magneto speed as far as ease of use and accuracy/consistency of measurement. I'll take the 0.1moa loss in a group with it on. I know if it will do 1/4moa with it mounted it will replicate that or better it without it on. That's been my experience across probably 12 guns that I have used mine on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I will put in another plug for the Magnetospeed V2 but with some reservations. In working up load development for my 6.5 Creedmoor I noted about a 3/4" POI shift which was rather consistent with the way I mounted the bayonet. I did not notice any issues with grouping. I followed the instructions with a 1/4 inch forward of the muzzlebrake and 1/4 inch below the lower lip of the aperture. Initially, I had some difficulty with undertightening of the strap but eventually I got the right tightness and didn't observer any further movement of the bayonet sensor. I opted to place a muzzle brake on the TRG22, also not seemingly necessary for recoil and my comfort, but since I had one, I decided to use it and I found that the Roedale effectively eliminated the recoil enough that the bayonet sensor didn't move at all. I liked it enough to leave it on afterwords and POI and groupings seem very acceptable and similar with or without Magentospeed sensor in place.

Unfortunately, I have not had the same success with my .338 Lapua Magnum. I will be the first to admit my experience with this caliber is limited to this first time. I didn't find the recoil terribly objectionable until I got to 94g of Retumbo with the 300g Scenars. But it was during this load workup I continued to notice that the bayonet sensor refused to stay in the position I set it. In fact, the prompting event was I used a mirage strap just to try it out and after three shots the strap ripped loose from its forward bracket rendering it unusable. It was at this point that I realized that the sensor was moving around quite a bit. Thereafter I began to watch the sensor more and take quantitative measurements of its movement. Typically, after tightening the strap as much as I can, every shot results in about a 1/16"-1/4" forward migration of the sensor. The movement varies, depending on different loads. In addition I also observed a fairly consistent angular rotation of the sensor. I will post a few pics of this shortly.

Lowlight and others have indicated that the POI shift and groups sizes are going to be affected and my experience confirms this. Overall, in working up a load for my .338 and seasoning my barrel I have witnessed a very consistent and expected decrease in standard deviation of muzzle velocity and have now reach an SD with my best load at 9.2fps. With slightly over 100 rounds thru the barrel now I am guessing I may be reaching a good point in the barrel and will continue to observe if the SD for MV continues to drop still more. More importantly though, thru my own inattentiveness on using the Magenetospeed I did encounter some rather unanticipated wild groups. However, after these exceptionally large groups I also noticed large corresponding movements of the Magnetospeed V2 bayonet sensor. I now believe that the large movements of the sensor may result in poor groupings and POI shifts. Part of what helps me reach this conclusion is that removal of the sensor results in a much more predictable POI and very acceptable groupings (with a five shot group I typically obtain one ragged hole with one flyer). One other observation is that despite the sensor repositioning, the MV readings don't seem to be appreciably affected - at least from what I can tell. Since I am not using a second chrono to verify or calibrate the Magentospeed I can't be sure but when SD for the entire 10-shot string is still 10fps or less I tend to think that the values given suggest minimal change due to sensor repositioning. One test I may conduct is to check POI for various positions of the sensor both forward and angular. I suspect that this may demonstrate why other folks have indicated POI and grouping issues when using the Magnetospeed V2. My current SOP is to check and reset the sensor after every shot when using the .338 Lapua. Further, the data gained will be principally centered on determining MV and SD calculations and will tend to disregard POI and groupings unless removing the sensor for that portion of my load workup.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Magentospeed and believe it has proved useful for my 6.5, 270, and 308 load workups. However, for .338 Lapua some additional attention is needed and an understanding that POI and groups may not be indicative of how the load is actually performing subjectively (group/POI wise).

If anyone has some suggestions of an alternative method to better tighten or hold the Magnetospeed V2 sensor in place I would like to hear it.

Picture of sensor shift with 90.4g Retumbo/300g Scenar/.020"
    Untitled-1.jpg

Picture of sensor angular shift from horizontal
    Front - After Shot x.jpg

Attachments

• Front - After Shot.jpg
      Front - After Shot.jpg
      897.6 KB · Views: 17
    Last edited:
    I've had a few friends who say they can't keep theirs tight. One had maybe an older thumb screw thay wasn't as big as mine to maybe he couldn't torque it down enough but for 300wm and down mine stays put. My poi shift for my 6mm Creedmoor at 100 yards is exactly 1.5" higher every time with the bayo in any position. I haven't measured the poi shift with my other calibers but it is consistent and I have no problem shooting a group in the 1' s and 2's with it on or off assuming I do my job with the right load.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I will put in another plug for the Magnetospeed V2 but with some reservations. In working up load development for my 6.5 Creedmoor I noted about a 3/4" POI shift which was rather consistent with the way I mounted the bayonet. I did not notice any issues with grouping. I followed the instructions with a 1/4 inch forward of the muzzlebrake and 1/4 inch below the lower lip of the aperture. Initially, I had some difficulty with undertightening of the strap but eventually I got the right tightness and didn't observer any further movement of the bayonet sensor. I opted to place a muzzle brake on the TRG22, also not seemingly necessary for recoil and my comfort, but since I had one, I decided to use it and I found that the Roedale effectively eliminated the recoil enough that the bayonet sensor didn't move at all. I liked it enough to leave it on afterwords and POI and groupings seem very acceptable and similar with or without Magentospeed sensor in place.

Unfortunately, I have not had the same success with my .338 Lapua Magnum. I will be the first to admit my experience with this caliber is limited to this first time. I didn't find the recoil terribly objectionable until I got to 94g of Retumbo with the 300g Scenars. But it was during this load workup I continued to notice that the bayonet sensor refused to stay in the position I set it. In fact, the prompting event was I used a mirage strap just to try it out and after three shots the strap ripped loose from its forward bracket rendering it unusable. It was at this point that I realized that the sensor was moving around quite a bit. Thereafter I began to watch the sensor more and take quantitative measurements of its movement. Typically, after tightening the strap as much as I can, every shot results in about a 1/16"-1/4" forward migration of the sensor. The movement varies, depending on different loads. In addition I also observed a fairly consistent angular rotation of the sensor. I will post a few pics of this shortly.

Lowlight and others have indicated that the POI shift and groups sizes are going to be affected and my experience confirms this. Overall, in working up a load for my .338 and seasoning my barrel I have witnessed a very consistent and expected decrease in standard deviation of muzzle velocity and have now reach an SD with my best load at 9.2fps. With slightly over 100 rounds thru the barrel now I am guessing I may be reaching a good point in the barrel and will continue to observe if the SD for MV continues to drop still more. More importantly though, thru my own inattentiveness on using the Magenetospeed I did encounter some rather unanticipated wild groups. However, after these exceptionally large groups I also noticed large corresponding movements of the Magnetospeed V2 bayonet sensor. I now believe that the large movements of the sensor may result in poor groupings and POI shifts. Part of what helps me reach this conclusion is that removal of the sensor results in a much more predictable POI and very acceptable groupings (with a five shot group I typically obtain one ragged hole with one flyer). One other observation is that despite the sensor repositioning, the MV readings don't seem to be appreciably affected - at least from what I can tell. Since I am not using a second chrono to verify or calibrate the Magentospeed I can't be sure but when SD for the entire 10-shot string is still 10fps or less I tend to think that the values given suggest minimal change due to sensor repositioning. One test I may conduct is to check POI for various positions of the sensor both forward and angular. I suspect that this may demonstrate why other folks have indicated POI and grouping issues when using the Magnetospeed V2. My current SOP is to check and reset the sensor after every shot when using the .338 Lapua. Further, the data gained will be principally centered on determining MV and SD calculations and will tend to disregard POI and groupings unless removing the sensor for that portion of my load workup.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Magentospeed and believe it has proved useful for my 6.5, 270, and 308 load workups. However, for .338 Lapua some additional attention is needed and an understanding that POI and groups may not be indicative of how the load is actually performing subjectively (group/POI wise).

If anyone has some suggestions of an alternative method to better tighten or hold the Magnetospeed V2 sensor in place I would like to hear it.

Picture of sensor shift with 90.4g Retumbo/300g Scenar/.020"
    View attachment 37196

Picture of sensor angular shift from horizontal
    View attachment 37198

you are missing the heat shield that goes between the barrel and the strap. it is kind of a flat piece of rubber like stuff. it helps hold the bayonet in place. i shoot mine on my 300wm with no break and it does not move. another vote for the magnetospeed

you are missing the heat shield that goes between the barrel and the strap. it is kind of a flat piece of rubber like stuff. it helps hold the bayonet in place. i shoot mine on my 300wm with no break and it does not move. another vote for the magnetospeed

The heat shield is meant for mounting to a suppressor if I recall correctly but I'm sure it would provide some added grip. Mine doesn't move on anything up to 300wm which the biggest gun it's been on. I've shot a whole range session while mine was on during load development and it stayed 100% tight for 80 rounds albeit a 6mm Creedmoor so no recoil so to speak.

Although I am not using a suppressor, using the heat shield (rubber spacer) over the top of the barrel and under the strap it is certainly worth a try. I guess I sort of lost track of it months ago when I was configuring the bayonet sensor with the plastic and rubber sensors. In looking at the manual it does indicate it can be used to help reduce slipping so that is definitely worth a try. I will give it a try next time at the range. I am also looking at getting a second chrono to use as a way to check the accuracy of the Magnetospeed. Haven't decided on anything yet. The LabRadar looks promising but I want to see what some other folks think before I purchase. I am hoping someone else has that on their list of goodies to test and make a posting.

I've shot with the magneto speed in though a few chronos and the traditional setups usually shows about 10fps slower speeds which is to be expected with the traditional being 10-12' away from the muzzle.

Another vote to the magneto speed. I have the v2 but they now have the 3rd gen out. I've shot sub sonic .300 blk out to .338 LM over it. There may be some poi difference but I use it for load development.

There may be some poi difference but I use it for load development.
    If it changes POI, then it also changes harmonics, thus negating its effectiveness for load development. ie: A load developed with it attached, may not be your load at all. This is why the Lab Radar is so exciting. If it lives up to the hype, it will give us everything we've ever asked for in a chronograph!

i keep waiting on them to do this and wonder why they havent yet. would be fantastic

Ok what if i just use the magnetospeed just to get my muzzle velocity or will it change that too?

If it changes POI, then it also changes harmonics, thus negating its effectiveness for load development. ie: A load developed with it attached, may not be your load at all. This is why the Lab Radar is so exciting. If it lives up to the hype, it will give us everything we've ever asked for in a chronograph!

Every group that groups well with the magneto on speed groups exactly the same with it off. 100, 300, 450 and 720 yards. I agree it would be nice not to have it strapped to the barrel but it's 10x easier than traditional setups.

Greg, Have you read the optimal barrel time paper? If his theory is right and you follow his logic that there are really two things happening : barrel whip and the shockwave through the metal changing the bore size, strapping a magnetospeed on would change the whip of the barrel which would affect impact point but would have no impact on the shockwave traveling thorugh the metal which according to that theory is what affects grouping, which is what is important for load development. You might have to adjust your zero but your load should be good.....of course this is all assuming that theory is correct.

I'm never shooting my point of aim during load development anyways. Who cares if they don't go in the center of a target, I can make a quick adjustment on my optic if I want that. As of now for what the magneto speed cost I don't see anything better.

I used a friend's MagnetoSpeed on my AI rilfe and he couldn't get the unit secure with the larger brake so we had to take it off, other than that it worked ok. Although not as quick to set up, my CED M2 worked just fine and did not have to remove the brake. Just my observations.

Greg, Have you read the optimal barrel time paper? If his theory is right and you follow his logic that there are really two things happening : barrel whip and the shockwave through the metal changing the bore size, strapping a magnetospeed on would change the whip of the barrel which would affect impact point but would have no impact on the shockwave traveling thorugh the metal which according to that theory is what affects grouping, which is what is important for load development. You might have to adjust your zero but your load should be good.....of course this is all assuming that theory is correct.
    Yes, I'm quite familiar with it and do subscribe to it. However, that paper did not address the effects of having objects hanging off the end of your barrel. For instance, I have seen on multiple occasions that loads I worked up with a suppressor on, were different than the loads I worked with a suppressor off. Sometimes they still shot OK, but I certainly wasn't in the center of the node anymore.

STLSteve, that is the best use I see for the magneto speed. So easy to setup compared to other chrono's, so you can just strap it on and get your velocity for computing firing solutions. It's obvious that opinions vary in regard to load development with it. I know where I stand on that.

If you aren't developing loads professionally, then having velocity during development isn't a necessity. More importantly, it may actually be a detriment! A lot of people look at the chrono numbers and let it influence which load they pick. So doing development without a chrono can help keep you honest in your evaluation of which load truly shoots the best.

I have a CED M2 but I haven't taken it out to the range yet. I have tested it in my back yard shooting my bow (+/- 400 fps) and only got errors. The manual said it will work at 50 fps... I guess I need to hump it out to the range and give it another try with ammo.