• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The best spotting scope with Mils???

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
What is the best spotting scope you can get with Mils for less than 1500?

How good is the vortex with the 30x mil eyepiece?

Re: The best spotting scope with Mils???

The Vortex eye piece is good we have used it... honestly under $1500 I would rather use the Bushnell than the Leupold, although the Leupold TMR reticle in it is better than the straight Mil Dot of the Bushnell.

But the Vortex is definitely a good choice

Well not likely many folks have both. I have a USO spotter, however I've been thinking about the Razor, mostly for range work, but I'm sure it will work in the field as well. Can the Razor see .223 holes at say 300m?
Interested to hear from some owners.

Is the Bushnell better than a Leupold overall, or is there some reason why it's more desirable? The Bushnell Excursion FLP is only $365...is it just a "get more for the money" kind of thing?

Or are there other Bushnells out there with mildots?

What is the best one all things considered EXCLUDING price other than the 5K Zeiss?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Bushnell better than a Leupold overall, or is there some reason why it's more desirable? The Bushnell Excursion FLP is only $365...is it just a "get more for the money" kind of thing?

Or are there other Bushnells out there with mildots? </div></div>

The two I looked at were not almost $1000 apart. There was a *slight* difference to my eye, but certainly not justified.

Now, I haven't thrown both off a 2 story building and reevaluated them either. I'm confident that Leupold gives you *something* for that extra money, just not sure what.

John

I have the Leupy Mk4 with TMR ret. in first focal plane, that is, the ret zooms with the power so that its functional at any power. Really like it, even though Im an MOA guy.

I can't speak on the higher end scopes(cause they're out of my price range), but I have a Bushnell Excursion. For the money, I love it, early in the morning before the mirage wakes I can see my .308 holes on white at 500 yds (highest setting 45X). The mildot is nice it gets me on target but it would be nicer if it had half marks.
Just me but I would get the Bushnell and use the rest to go toward the upgrades on a gun or something

I have a Leupold MK4 with mil-dot. It has been used and abused in the field and has never failed me. Only thing I would change about the actual scope is the reticle, TMR would be better but was not available when mine was purchased. Also the tripod from leupold sucks it definitely needs an upgrade. JAA

Are there any spotting scopes with MOA reticles ?

thanks, will take a look

What's the difference between a field scope and a spotting scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can the Razor see .223 holes at say 300m?
Interested to hear from some owners. </div></div> Absolutely, the Razor spotter a lot of scope for the money. If you get a Razor and you honestly dont think it was worth the money let me know and we will do whatever is necessary to make it right with you.

In case anyone is wondering here is a pic of the reticle that comes with our 30x wa R/T eyepiece.
ret_razor-hd-spt_30x_rt-1.jpg

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can the Razor see .223 holes at say 300m?
Interested to hear from some owners. </div></div> Absolutely, the Razor spotter a lot of scope for the money. If you get a Razor and you honestly dont think it was worth the money let me know and we will do whatever is necessary to make it right with you.

In case anyone is wondering here is a pic of the reticle that comes with our 30x wa R/T eyepiece.

Scott
</div></div>

Scott - Any plans for a straight eyepiece Razor spotter? I'm not a fan of the angled and it's kept me from considering the product... just curious. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can the Razor see .223 holes at say 300m?

Scott
</div></div>

Scott - Any plans for a straight eyepiece Razor spotter? I'm not a fan of the angled and it's kept me from considering the product... just curious. Thanks. </div></div>Yes, and it will be before the end of the year and possibly sooner. Keep your eyes open just in case
grin.gif

Scott

Scott, any plans for mils eyepiece on lower-grade spotting scopes? Or would any other spotting scope of yours accommodate R/T 30x eyepiece?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, any plans for mils eyepiece on lower-grade spotting scopes? Or would any other spotting scope of yours accommodate R/T 30x eyepiece?</div></div>
x2

Also, any chance of a higher magnification ranging eyepiece coming out?

I think the difference between a field scope and a spotting scope is what you are willing to hump around on a daily basis with your face in the dirt. DO have a MIL GAP USO and will say that it is the smallest and lightest platform going with the best glass for the money (C.A. be damned). YMMV

It's got to be light for portability , and it has to be more powerful power wise than your scope

( a 10x or 18x spotter with mildot is useless if you or your spotter are using 24x mildot Luppy's or NF )( that's why i think the Luppy 10x mildot-bino isn't usefull in this aspect )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a field scope the Vortex recons are nice... </div></div>
Frank, I read somewhere on here that you were doing a review video, is that true?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riley501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't speak on the higher end scopes(cause they're out of my price range), but I have a Bushnell Excursion. For the money, I love it, early in the morning before the mirage wakes I can see my .308 holes on white at 500 yds (highest setting 45X). The mildot is nice it gets me on target but it would be nicer if it had half marks.
Just me but I would get the Bushnell and use the rest to go toward the upgrades on a gun or something </div></div>

+1 on the Excursion a friend of mine just got one and we had it at the range yesterday morning. Real clear glass at all magnifications although I only focused it at 100 yards. The mildot reticle is in the first focal plane too. The wind blew it off the bench, about a 3 foot drop to the concrete. The scope landed on the objective! I cringed, but he picked it up and dusted it off - no problems was working fine. For less than $400 I don't think you can beat it.

I have the Bushnell HD FFP. I am bad about dropping things so I guess everything I own goes through a little torture test. The spotting scope has been great so far. The glass is amazingly clear and the FFP mildot is a nice feature. It has held up very well despite being dropped on concrete several times and riding in the bed of my truck to and from shooting.

The reason I got the scope was because of the mildot reticle and the price ($316). I could live without the mildot as I dont range my targets with a reticle anyway. However, it is a very nice spotting scope, especially for under $400.

Leupold MK 4 is nice but up there in the price.
USO Spotter offer a good size and a lot of reticle choices
Vortex Recon 15x is really nice for the size and price. I also know an SFG is using them.
Bushnell Excursion looks like the MK4 spotter and is really nice for the price. (I did a review on it and I was rather impressed with it.)

Here is a link to all the ones we have.
http://www.cstactical.com/Store/OPTICS/Spotting-Scopes

Mike @ CST

Mike,

Yes Vortex Recon is very nice and is priced right. But I have one problem with it as a field/spotting scope: very low magnification (for the purpose). In fact I'd be better off using my Razor HD riflescope for spotting as it gives me 20x rather than 15x of Recon (or in a year or so breaking for Razor HD spotting scope).

I have the Razor spotter with 30X mil reticle, great spotter. Compared it side-by-side with a Kowa 88-series. The Kowa had a slight advantage in color, but contrast, resolution, and depth of field looked to be about the same.

Razor goes for about $1500, the 30X eye piece is another $200. Having used the very best (and the very worst), I can't say there is anything within $500 of the Razor that I'd take over it. It is worth the money. (As is the $200 for the 30X mil eye piece.)

IMG_1890.jpg

Update!

My only complaints of the spotter are the damned uber-tight fitting Objective cover and the crappy cover that comes with the scope.

Another Hide member asked if the Razor fit in the Kowa case and, thankfully, it does. I'll be trashing the included case and buying the Kowa case immediately. It requires a bit of effort to get it in the first time, but it fits - and, once in, it works very well.

The case that ships with the razor is a decent bench case (gotta take it half-way off to use the scope) but not something I like using in the field. The Kowa case is far superior.

Look forwad to a few pics if you can, plus details of what brand of case it is ect

It's the Kowa case for 88mm angled spotters. Looked it up on SWFA and the picture is different, asking if it is what they picture or what I've seen.

Pic in case coming.

photo.jpg

This is with the 30X wide angle ocular, the 20-60 is about as long as the Kowa.

It fits.

Still trying to get confirmation the one everyone is selling is/is not this one, exactly.

Cheers, thanks for that, I will see whats available locally once I get my scope.

I am suprised that no one yet has offered flip-up covers for spotters...While I am hoping to find a Butler Creek that will fit my Nikon50ED, I doubt they make anything large enough for the Vortex.