• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Book of Eli

Re: The Book of Eli

I liked the movie. The best thing about it was Gary Oldman's performance. His character in Eli very much reminded me of his performance in The Professional.

If you have never seen The Professional, see it. Even better idea is to watch the original version, Léon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow...get out much??
so tell us what you really thought of it....
sleep.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eli was fair but not great.
The disappearing/reappearing bow is a big weakness.
It takes a while to sink in that he is blind all the way through the movie.
Walking right up to the front porch of the old guys house? Gimme a break. That kind of thinking would have killed him a long time before then.
SF Bay is probably the poorest place in the lower 48 to be a book depository, since the moisture would ruin the books rather quickly.
On the other hand, not tipping his hand but rather watching and learning while on the bridge over watching the pirates, was a good move, and rang true.
Watchable, but it had it's weak points.
</div></div> </div></div>

It was a take-down bow man. He always had the bow. Right after he shot that big ass crow on the highway, it showed the chick taking it apart.

Just watched it yesterday. It was a good movie and I really enjoyed the twist at the end.

Just watched it last night - why does everyone think he is blind just because of the ending?

I went back and re-watched it and he was looking and pointing a LOT.

I buy the 30 years wandering but don't buy that he was blind - while the BOOK was meant for that, I do not believe he was, I just believe he knew how to read that.

See that sword action?

That's what you need to be able to do when all of the bullets are gone...

I've got 2 bad ass wakizashi's similiar to that and one Katana. I enjoy those as much or more than shooting.

I thought they made him out to be blind from the beginning when he was reaching out to feel the car. Then again with his heightened sense of smell, and when he mentioned that he was "led by faith and not by sight". So was he blind or not? I just figured he was and now I don't know.

Sorry, I didn't like the movie. Mostly (with many movies out today), it was another poor job of editing. I have yet to watch a movie longer than 1:40 that I haven't found several minutes that could have been deleted.
Hollywood, if you can't tell a story in less than 2 hours, you are doing it wrong. If your story line scene does not add to the story or character development, you don't need it.
I liked a lot of the perspective of civilization in the future, but the story got really narrow in that aspect.

i like the movie as well, but the ending did throw me off a bit. i dont think he is blind, and like the others stated already he just learned to read it.

people can pick this movie apart all they want. Different strokes. This is for sure in the top of the list favorite movies. Denzel never lets down.

I liked it- although it never even occurred to me that he was supposed to be blind, just that Oldman's character was thwarted because hardly anyone knew how to read English much less Braille... if it was meant to be that way they should have made it less ambiguous, i.e. Bruce Willis being dead in "6th Sense" (undisputed).

Also, that PARA FAL sure was minty considering everything else hehe

I found out he was blind after the fact. Great watch.

Not blind, not good enough to keep me from falling asleep twice, and just barely worth the buck I spent to rent it.

I liked it a lot.

You guys do understand that it is no accident his name is Eli, like the profit Elijah from the "The Old and New Testament". Eli like Elijah(from the Bible) is tasked with a long journey and kicks a considerable amount of ass while on that journey. Book of Eli is basically a tale from the Bible. I like the idea that he is blind and his actions and path are directed by the divine. I'm not a particularly religious person, but it's a cool tale modernized and brought up to date.

Denzel owns the part as far as I'm concerned (just like he did in Man on Fire). Oldman is as always the quintessential anti-hero. It's good film and fun entertainment. I loved the scene where he whips out that USP .45 goes to town on those thugs like a true IPSC Grandmaster. I also quite enjoyed the scene where he tunes those guys up under the bridge with his short sword. The only downside to this film is Mila. Aside from the fact that she is easy on the eyes, what the hell were they thinking with her walking off into the grim future with his sword and I-pod? I hope they don’t make a sequel staring her as the hero.

Great movie, I saw it last night.

I didnt get the impression that he was blind though, just that he happened to know how to read brail. I mean, How did he know that he was looking at Alcatraz Island from the Golden Gate if he was blind?

Reguardless...a good movie.

IF it's on, watch it. Don't feel it's worth owning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's not blind. The only bible left was one in braille, he learned to read it to carry the message. </div></div>

Or, did he know the bible so well, he taught himself braille through the bible???? Hmmmm.......

Gotta love Denzel though! Anybody that donates a shit ton of money to Walter Reed Med Center and trys to keep it out of the news is aces in my book.

He was blind, the second time I watched it I saw things I didnt see the first time. Like when he walks up to the old broken down car, he never looks at the car and has his bag in front of him to find it.

Loved this movie! After watching it a few times I've noticed the color palate change once they drive out to SF and the golden gate bridge, everything seems move vivid after that. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

i shoot with me eyes closed so not that far fetched. still think it should have been will smith intead of samual l jackson even tho he was pretty good in that black snake moan flick.

The one I saw was with Denzel Washington ,Im gona look for the version with Samuel L Jackson tonight...

I liked it, not as realistic as the Road, but not nearly as depressing.

? don't think he's blind, but next time i watch it i will pay more attention

If you notice the scene right after oldman opens the book it cuts to washington's dictation. In the closeup you can see his eyes are hazed, leading to the fact he was blind. To what extent I dont know. Tapping the car door, kicking the stairs to the house, sounds are amplified.... and a few more i am sure. I have seen people with disabilities do remarkable things. It a proven fact that if someone has an under-developed sense, or loses one of their senses the rest are enhanced. Blind people usuall have a remarkable sense of hearing.
Yes, there was a sense of devine protection, but that was the whole point. A blind man crosses the country in a 30 year time period, to deliver a bible, faces and survives horrific violence, ehibits remarkable abilities....something like that is what makes a believer.

desertrat1979 hit it on the head. he is definitely blind, and has a divine protection to deliver the only copy of the bible. i liked that movie even though its a little far fetched but if you havent seen it yet i suggest u do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes, there was a sense of devine protection, but that was the whole point. A blind man crosses the country in a 30 year time period, to deliver a bible, faces and survives horrific violence, ehibits remarkable abilities....something like that is what makes a believer. </div></div>

The whole point....exactly.

A good movie if one can grasp that......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just cant buy wesley snipes as a asskicking blindman. pretty hoakey.</div></div>

Denzel Washington, not Snipes.

was a good movie overall. There are alot more sublte blind references than anyone is giving credit to. The shaking coffee cup, the way he feels for the boots on the corpse, etc.

I do have a hard time with him shooting lights out with a pistol at about 50 yds...by sound and divine intervention.

I think God gave him his sight to fulfill his mission......after he completed it, he became blind again.
Kinda like Samson's strength was returned to carry out gods will.
The Bible is full of miracles, since this movie was based on keeping the Bible's word alive, miracles can be expected .