• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The British Sniper: A Century of Evolution (book review)

longebow

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2006
Florida
To All:

I received my copy two weeks ago, and "could not put it down." It was an excellent tome on British sniper rifles and support equipment, from 1915 to present. It is a much needed update/complement to Ian Skennerton's and Peter Laidler's books on the subject. The photos are outstanding, most in color, allowing the reader to see details that have been previously appreciated only by those who have personally owned/handled these rifles. Steve Houghton included anecdotes from British snipers from the major conflicts, which added a rich and enjoyable flavor...

A full third of the book is on topics related to Accuracy International, and AI's contributions to MOD sniping (and the rest of the world for that matter) is easy to understand given the evolution from the first ("Green Meanie") to the latest AX models.

The first printing is of 2000 copies, so don't take too long to consider! It is just a joy to peruse over and over, and is a worthy addition to one's gun library. Two thumbs up!

longebow

MODS: I put this thread and link in both this and the Vintage Sniper Rifles forums as they are both very appropriate locations for our community. If I erred, I offer my sincerest apologies up front...

Reactions: PBWalsh
Forgotten weapons did a review of that book and highly recommended it.
I might pick it up mainly for the AI and Parker Hale history.

Forgotten weapons did a review of that book and highly recommended it.
I might pick it up mainly for the AI and Parker Hale history.

I enjoyed the recently released Forgotten Weapon's youtube video on the history of AI and the L96A1. Very interesting and informative.

Reactions: Steel head