• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The British Sniper: A Century of Evolution (book review)

longebow

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2006
Florida
To All:

I received my copy two weeks ago, and "could not put it down." It was an excellent tome on British sniper rifles and support equipment, from 1915 to present. It is a much needed update/complement to Ian Skennerton's and Peter Laidler's books on the subject. The photos are outstanding, most in color, allowing the reader to see details that have been previously appreciated only by those who have personally owned/handled these rifles. Steve Houghton included anecdotes from British snipers from the major conflicts, which added a rich and enjoyable flavor...

A full third of the book is on topics related to Accuracy International, and AI's contributions to MOD sniping (and the rest of the world for that matter) is easy to understand given the evolution from the first ("Green Meanie") to the latest AX models.

The first printing is of 2000 copies, so don't take too long to consider! It is just a joy to peruse over and over, and is a worthy addition to one's gun library. Two thumbs up!

longebow

It's expensive as it is a private printing and ships from UK. I can't remember exactly, but I paid over $100 for mine.

Last edited:
I just bought one. Awaiting arrival. 59GBP plus air mail post I seem to remember.

To All:

I received my copy two weeks ago, and "could not put it down." It was an excellent tome on British sniper rifles and support equipment, from 1915 to present. It is a much needed update/complement to Ian Skennerton's and Peter Laidler's books on the subject. The photos are outstanding, most in color, allowing the reader to see details that have been previously appreciated only by those who have personally owned/handled these rifles. Steve Houghton included anecdotes from British snipers from the major conflicts, which added a rich and enjoyable flavor...

A full third of the book is on topics related to Accuracy International, and AI's contributions to MOD sniping (and the rest of the world for that matter) is easy to understand given the evolution from the first ("Green Meanie") to the latest AX models.

The first printing is of 2000 copies, so don't take too long to consider! It is just a joy to peruse over and over, and is a worthy addition to one's gun library. Two thumbs up!

longebow

This looks good.

Just received my copy, if you enjoy collector grade books this is an excellent book. I have all the Senich books, Chandler, Poyer and others in my library and this book is very well laid out.

The photographs are high quality with photos from training and deployment. The history of equipment and tactics is detailed. Very happy to add it as a reference source to my collection.

Makes me want to go track down an older model AI now........

I do own a Smelly fake T-Sniper...along with a large stash of hangfire prone British Cordite 303.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rookie
WW1 and WW2 occupy approx 1/3 as a guess. They start at WW1 go through to the L42 of the 60’s up to mid 80’s and then the trials for the AI and include a little on its trial competition of the PH M85. Great details and operational photos as well as details on related kit.

I ordered mine a week ago, looking forward to this book...even if I don't have a British sniper rifle.

I read a chapter at a time out of order. Then read it again I find something else I either did not know or had missed previously.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Got mine a few days ago, but haven’t had the time to really sit down with it yet. However, it looks amazingly well done and is a very high quality piece of work! Spendy, but looks to be worth it. I’m going to drop Steve another email and see what others he has planned and what the timeline is for them. I’ll definitely be addind any others that he puts out to my library!

Mine turned up about ten hours ago (13:30 Thursday NZ time). All the praise seems justified. Great pictures, good text, very tightly edited. Worth my money.

Thank you Mr Houghton.

Mine turned up about ten hours ago (13:30 Thursday NZ time). All the praise seems justified. Great pictures, good text, very tightly edited. Worth my money.

Thank you Mr Houghton.

Yep, got mine last night... To say I'm impressed with the quality and content would be an understatement.

Fast delivery, signed numbered edition. Merry christmas to me!!!
Beautiful book.

Just got mine

IMG_20191224_092621274.jpg

I have one 200 earlier,#1148, bought 2 months ago. I think if you want one I would not tarry long.;)

How useful would this book be do you think, when trying to determine the authenticity of 303 sniper rifles. Example serial number series, Factory upgrade codes and other identifying markings on these rifles.

markings.jpg

Last edited:
How useful would this book be do you think, when trying to determine the authenticity of 303 sniper rifles. Example serial number series, Factory upgrade codes and other identifying markings on these rifles.

View attachment 7220844

It'll tell you what the proper markings are but that information is readily available online. If you're looking for specific serial numbers to verify the authenticity, it doesn't have that.

View attachment 7220844

That’s a Jungle Carbine receiver so I really hope nobody has ruined one of those to make a fake No.4(T).

Try this reference: