• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Cheapest AR-10? BCA-10 First Look

Bluedog82

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019

Just got the BCA-10 in. They offer lots of different models, including side chargers, but I went with the standard charging handle setup in order to use a Bootleg adjustable carrier (more on that in a minute). This is my first AR-10, so I won’t pretend to be an expert.

The furniture is very basic: M4 waffle stock, A2 grip, and a simple clamp-on free-float mlok rail. Mine has a 16” barrel, and uses the shorty AR-10 buffers for carbine stocks. In stock configuration it’s overgassed without adding a can, so we’ll test a few rounds as-is with the can before going to the Bootleg carrier. I also have a Kyntec buffer on the way, so I’m interested to see how that does as well.

The bolt catch was very hard to get working, as the BCG didn’t want to go back far enough—last round bolt hold open also wasn’t happening. It seems to have broken in a little bit, so I’ll update as I go. Accuracy is also TBD; I’d be happy with sub 2 MOA. The Venezuelan 144gr surplus was like 4-5 MOA, but I obviously won’t hold that against the rifle. I’ve got it setup in a DMR type configuration currently, with a PST 1-4 and SCRS on top. The jury is still out, obviously, but hopefully this thing runs okay and can be a decent budget option for $530 or so.

Seems a bit like false economy to get a "budget" 308 AR and then put a $300 adjustable carrier and a $150 hydraulic buffer in an effort to get it to run properly.

Reactions: BCP and st1650
Seems a bit like false economy to get a "budget" 308 AR and then put a $300 adjustable carrier and a $150 hydraulic buffer in an effort to get it to run properly.
Idk, $530 won’t necessarily get you a stripped receiver set from some manufacturers. If ANYTHING is salvageable, you have a lot of room to play.

Idk, $530 won’t necessarily get you a stripped receiver set from some manufacturers. If ANYTHING is salvageable, you have a lot of room to play.
Yup. As long as the upper and lower are to spec (no indication that they aren’t), it can be “Ship of Theseus” deal. The easy button from a function standpoint would be an adjustable GB. But, since I’m reviewing this and want to make some changes that anyone could do, I’m going with the BCG and buffer.

Yup. As long as the upper and lower are to spec (no indication that they aren’t), it can be “Ship of Theseus” deal. The easy button from a function standpoint would be an adjustable GB. But, since I’m reviewing this and want to make some changes that anyone could do, I’m going with the BCG and buffer.
hahahahaha that is good

Reactions: Bluedog82
hahahahaha that is good
Thanks! If it becomes clear that it won’t work at all in stock form then I’ll do it. Biggest thing besides what I’ve already mentioned will be the barrel…if it’s garbage then I’ll replace it, hopefully I don’t have to. The rail would definitely be next, but I can live with it.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
IMG_6751.jpeg

Update 4/23: put another 20rds through it. Got lockback on empty with a 20rd Hexmag. Threw my MG7K on there along with a Magpul SLS; way overgassed with the can obviously, but much more comfortable to shoot with the Magpul stock. Added the Bootleg BCG set to suppressed, and that tamed it even more. The final step (for now) will be the Kyntec buffer, which just came in. This group was 5rds of WWB M80. It measured a few hundredths shy of 3”, with avg velocity of 2684fps per my Xero. Much more reasonable.

Shot some more today with the Kyntec buffer and Diligent Defense Enticer S TI (the can in the Short is my MG7K). Definitely a high backpressure can, but quiet as hell on a bolt gun. S&B M80 averaged 2693fps and 4” at 100 for 5rds.

Reactions: RUTGERS95