• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The costs must be staggering

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
The POTUS was in town yesterday for a short visit before hopping down to Ft Campbell to meet with the SEAL team. I've worked with the USSS before but this was the first time I've worked at the airport and seen the manpower and vehicles involved in protection and transportation all in one place. Not saying I disagree with it, I think it's entirely necessary but the thought hit me that it is all for one man. Granted, one of the most powerful/important men in the world, but still one man. I'd like to see the annual budget just for transportation and protection costs out of curiosity.

Snapped a pic after the POTUS landed and was jogging over to greet some people who had come to see him.
2011-05-06_11-27-35_356.jpg

Re: The costs must be staggering

Old buddy worked a few years in SS when he was younger, at least back then they would secure the primary and 2-3 backup airports for AF-1. Sometimes they would clear entire routes "just in case" there was time for another stop. Just a bit pricey.

Cool pic man! Makes you wonder how much we paid for that trip, gotta be at least a million...

When AF-1 goes international, you wouldn't believe the back up to the back up to the back up for tankers.

When President Reagan came to Atlanta, I worked at the local hospital he would go to if something happened to him. The USSS came to our hospital and did a check and it was my understanding from someone in the know that they would have a whole floor reserved for him should something happen and each floor held over 120 beds. A lot of patients were going to get dumped if he needed the facilities. I actually heard him speak and he spoke at the parking lot of a local mall. To protect him the USSS hauled in about 30 tractor trailers and parked them side by side and hung plastic in btwn them to take away a snipers ability to have a clear shot. Police were on top of every building that had a line of sight above the trailer tops. (before the invention of the Barrett rifle?). This was all done in a matter of 1/2 day which in itself was impressive. (great speech and loved him as President)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool pic man! Makes you wonder how much we paid for that trip, gotta be at least a million... </div></div>

I'd guess about 10 times that amount... at the minimum

I think this is more an acknowledgement of the costs associated with freedom than any sort of indictment of the office or officeholder.

Could you imagine this sort of operation being necessary in a totalitarian state? Before we bemoan the costs and extremes involved, let is consider the alternative, and the sort of state that would render it possible.

If this is a price I need pay for my freedoms, I have no complaints.

Greg

At least there was a purpose to the flight unlike some of Barry's previous 'Joy Rides' or separate flights for he and family to the same destination.

Good luck