• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The definition of frustration!!!

johnsobr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
IL
After being a police officer for quite some time I thought I had seen just about anything and anyone irritating. That was until it came time to renew my FIOD card.

Thats right, I am blessed enough to live in the state of Illinois where we must possess a FOID card. Obviously this is not the first FOID card I have had. One would think since mine is a simple renewal with absolutly NO police contact other than being the police this would be a simple process. EEEHHH!!!! wrong.

My girlfriend submitted her application two weeks after mine and received it yesterday. So I sat here thinking to myself, well people are people and sometimes things get misplaced or something else goes wrong. So, I check my bank account and see that the Illinois State Police cashed my check on November 19th. Well they got my money (I'd be a complete idiot in the first place to think the state would misplace money well for me anyway I'm not a Governor). So after I take the 15 min Google quest for the ISP FOID department phone number I set off on my primary quest.

I called the number provided on the ISP websight 17 times over the span of 45 min. Everytime I got a busy signal. OK they are very busy. The 18th time I called and it rings. F N A right I'M thinking. Then the classic automated answering device (if I could find this machine I would F.U.B.A.R. it). A wonderful voice tells me about how busy they are and said the current wait is approximately 57 days. OK so I'm at 61 days. Not too bad considering I live approximately 3 hours from Springfield (ISP home office and def not chicago). So I wait for the automated Machine to be quiet. At the end it gives me an estimated time until I should expect to talk to a real person. drum roll please. It tells me 100 min. FML!!!! Like I am going to let them eat 100 min of my cell phone plan as well as my inital application fee.

Does anyone see a problem with this???

Has anyone else dealing with the same issue??

I have a friend in IA who only needs his DL and written confirmation from the Sheriff. I have another friend who lives in Ohio who who can walk in, buy his firearm, and leave with it.

I understand why they have waiting periods and they have a sound excuse. But I have worked homicide cases and the majority of the ones I have seen involving firearms the suspect was not supposed to even have a firearm let alone possess that specific one.

I guess I could WTF this all day but I guess I'll stand her patiently waiting just not for 100 min!

Re: The definition of frustration!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I understand why they have waiting periods and they have a sound excuse.</div></div>

LEO just East of you and I would strongly disagree with your statement. Waiting periods are BS and they don't do anything but frustrate law abiding citizens who wish to purchase a firearm. I have a brother in law in Illinois and I've been reminded a couple of times that I can't buy shotgun shells to go trap shooting with him when I'm up there. The entire FOID system is complete BS which accomplishes nothing but pasifying the liberal idiots of Chicago.

Perhaps this will help you:

Paragraphs and When to use them

I know it will certainly assist us (the reader) in deciphering your stuff.

As to your FOID Card problem, have you considered moving to a state that is a bit less of a Progessive Utopia than Illinois?

In Texas, there is no requirement for a FOID card, and the state law also allows form civilian carry of a concealed handgun (CHL). With a Texas CHL, the purchase of a firearm from a FFL requires only completion of the 4473 and the new owner can walk out of the store, no NICS check is required. The Texas CHL is also recognized in just about every other state..... But in IL, just to own pistol ammunition requires a 'Jim Crow' license from the state.

Anyway, sorry to hear about you situation....but it would make sense that your PD history may have raised a flag. Average wait times mean that your GF waiting 2 weeks makes you wait 12 weeks.

like i said EXCUSE not sufficiant grounds

I have considered that BobinNC. I often dream of Wyoming and Montana. The move would include me packing up the girlfriend and 10 month old son and getting a new job which would pry require another academy and learning another 600 page criminal law book. (yay fun, new academy with Newbies... click Bang!!!)

Move out of your Commy State, we need good people such as yourself to be police officiers everywhere, why live in overtaxed gunhating Obama loving shithole IllinoiSSSS, I tell everyone from PRK the samething, you have choosen to live there, deal with it, or move, because you ain't gonna change it, try it and you'll see, no matter how hard you try, stupid cannot be fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After being a police officer for quite some time I thought I had seen just about anything and anyone irritating. That was until it came time to renew my FIOD card.

Thats right, I am blessed enough to live in the state of Illinois where we must possess a FOID card. Obviously this is not the first FOID card I have had. One would think since mine is a simple renewal with absolutly NO police contact other than being the police this would be a simple process. EEEHHH!!!! wrong.

My girlfriend submitted her application two weeks after mine and received it yesterday. So I sat here thinking to myself, well people are people and sometimes things get misplaced or something else goes wrong. So, I check my bank account and see that the Illinois State Police cashed my check on November 19th. Well they got my money (I'd be a complete idiot in the first place to think the state would misplace money well for me anyway I'm not a Governor). So after I take the 15 min Google quest for the ISP FOID department phone number I set off on my primary quest.

I called the number provided on the ISP websight 17 times over the span of 45 min. Everytime I got a busy signal. OK they are very busy. The 18th time I called and it rings. F N A right I'M thinking. Then the classic automated answering device (if I could find this machine I would F.U.B.A.R. it). A wonderful voice tells me about how busy they are and said the current wait is approximately 57 days. OK so I'm at 61 days. Not too bad considering I live approximately 3 hours from Springfield (ISP home office and def not chicago). So I wait for the automated Machine to be quiet. At the end it gives me an estimated time until I should expect to talk to a real person. drum roll please. It tells me 100 min. FML!!!! Like I am going to let them eat 100 min of my cell phone plan as well as my inital application fee.

Does anyone see a problem with this???

Has anyone else dealing with the same issue??

I have a friend in IA who only needs his DL and written confirmation from the Sheriff. I have another friend who lives in Ohio who who can walk in, buy his firearm, and leave with it.

I understand why they have waiting periods and they have a sound excuse. But I have worked homicide cases and the majority of the ones I have seen involving firearms the suspect was not supposed to even have a firearm let alone possess that specific one.

I guess I could WTF this all day but I guess I'll stand her patiently waiting just not for 100 min! </div></div>
tldr_trollcat.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drive over there.</div></div>

Considered

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drive over there.</div></div>

Considered </div></div>

I've always found that face to face forces people to give you real answers.

Sorry to hear it.
I stopped at a gun shop in Chicago to look around a few years ago. I was dumb struck to hear what you guys have to go through to even handle a gun over there. Just one of the reasons I would never mover there.

walk in the store give drivers license pay for gun leave with gun boy i love SD

my neibor here in AZ is from il. ? I wonder why

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a brother in law in Illinois and I've been reminded a couple of times that I can't buy shotgun shells to go trap shooting with him when I'm up there. The entire FOID system is complete BS which accomplishes nothing but pasifying the liberal idiots of Chicago.
</div></div>

Bingo I lived there and forgot I couldn't get ammo when I was visting one time. The checkout gal said "You are looking at me like I am a retard" my response "maybe but you sure live among them". I remember about 7 yrs ago waitig over 6 months for my new FOID card.... Stupid and worthless system that stops nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Move out of your Commy State, we need good people such as yourself to be police officiers everywhere, why live in overtaxed gunhating Obama loving shithole IllinoiSSSS, I tell everyone from PRK the samething, you have choosen to live there, deal with it, or move, because you ain't gonna change it, try it and you'll see, no matter how hard you try, stupid cannot be fixed. </div></div>

Anyone hiring around your neck of the woods? I dream of the day when I can leave this fucking state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Move out of your Commy State, we need good people such as yourself to be police officiers everywhere, why live in overtaxed gunhating Obama loving shithole IllinoiSSSS, I tell everyone from PRK the samething, you have choosen to live there, deal with it, or move, because you ain't gonna change it, try it and you'll see, no matter how hard you try, stupid cannot be fixed. </div></div>

Anyone hiring around your neck of the woods? I dream of the day when I can leave this fucking state. </div></div>

The Yankees winter in Tampa, SlapChop...Just sayin...

And it was 72 degrees and sunny here today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Move out of your Commy State, we need good people such as yourself to be police officiers everywhere, why live in overtaxed gunhating Obama loving shithole IllinoiSSSS, I tell everyone from PRK the samething, you have choosen to live there, deal with it, or move, because you ain't gonna change it, try it and you'll see, no matter how hard you try, stupid cannot be fixed. </div></div>

Anyone hiring around your neck of the woods? I dream of the day when I can leave this fucking state. </div></div>

The Yankees winter in Tampa, SlapChop...Just sayin...

And it was 72 degrees and sunny here today. </div></div>

We were in the mid 30s with black and yellow snow all over the place.

72 sounds nice but I'm not one for gators and those flying roaches you guys got down there. Then again they're not much better then the leaping rats we have up here.

-9 was the high here today and was not that bad no wind. I like the cold makes it easier to walk and drive on the water chasing walleyes. Plus no bugs i hate bugs and snakes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-9 was the high here today and was not that bad no wind. I like the cold makes it easier to walk and drive on the water chasing walleyes. Plus no bugs i hate bugs and snakes </div></div>

The cold is good. It serves to keep animals of all varieties away.

Love SD, we visited the Black Hills National Forest and Rapid City last year. Took a quick stop at Wall Drug. Love the free ice water and the hundreds of road signs advertising the place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-9 was the high here today and was not that bad no wind. I like the cold makes it easier to walk and drive on the water chasing walleyes. Plus no bugs i hate bugs and snakes </div></div>

Love SD, we visited the Black Hills National Forest and Rapid City last year. Took a quick stop at Wall Drug. Love the free ice water and the hundreds of road signs advertising the place.</div></div>

LOL I agree about wall seems like the signs start 200 miles before you get to wall. Then when you get there your like this town is nothing special. Of course I did not go to SD for Wall. I went for the five days I spent on buffalo gab national grassland.

UPDATE!!!

OK so anger got the best of me yesterday. Approximately 4 hours after posting this I called ISP again. After calling 21 times I finally got through. After waiting for 97 min. a man named John answered the phone. After giving him my info he advised me my application had been approved on the 19th of January. Was it luck my application was approved the very day I called?

I asked John how long it would take for me to recieve my FOID card. He said the approval had already been sent to the card printing company. He also advised my card should be printed and mailed by saturday, so I should receive it by Wendnesday.

Now time will bring an end to all stories eventually. However, I am not actually expecting Wendnesday to be the end of this one.

Well good to know you're finally getting it. I just received a renewal application from them and burned it as I now live in Missouri.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-9 was the high here today and was not that bad no wind. I like the cold makes it easier to walk and drive on the water chasing walleyes. Plus no bugs i hate bugs and snakes </div></div>

Love SD, we visited the Black Hills National Forest and Rapid City last year. Took a quick stop at Wall Drug. Love the free ice water and the hundreds of road signs advertising the place.</div></div>

LOL I agree about wall seems like the signs start 200 miles before you get to wall. Then when you get there your like this town is nothing special. Of course I did not go to SD for Wall. I went for the five days I spent on buffalo gab national grassland. </div></div>

200 miles i think it is more those signs are from one end of the state to the other. went there as a kid thought it was awsome not quite as cool as a grown up though. be it summer or winter the hills are fun as hell. Best part in the summer is no mosquitoes

I don't understand why people live in shit States like that, and then act surprised when they get screwed by their oppressive gov. Here's my advice 1) 1) Vote
2) Contact those you Voted For
3) Once you realize they don't give a shit MOVE

Lived there for 3 years teaching Navy boot camp. Had a FOID card. Never thought much of it really. Now my brother-in-law lives there & hates it. I just keep telling him move back to Iowa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why people live in shit States like that, and then act surprised when they get screwed by their oppressive gov. Here's my advice 1) 1) Vote
2) Contact those you Voted For
3) Once you realize they don't give a shit MOVE </div></div>

Problem with that is that you'll be moving around for the rest of your life.

I saw this post and just called a friend of mine that is from Illinois. She is a National Park Service LE officer and just went home to IL. She agrees that it's BS and even being Federal LE had to go through the same BS of getting a card. She is now here in AZ for a few years and has now become a AZ resident and enjoys the freedoms of Arizona! Several departments here are hiring officers!

Firearms Owners IDentification card

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walk in the store give drivers license pay for gun leave with gun boy i love SD </div></div>

You forgot the Form 4473. I've only seen 2 people that couldn't get the gun they wanted, both because of "yes" answers on the 4473. One was "native american" and went right to the race card. They never did convince him it was because he was under a federal inditment(sp?). The other guy told them up front that he had a felony conviction and they told him what he had to do to get his rights restored. Sounded very expensive.