• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Effective Range and Programming the Bushnell ConX

These are the numbers entered into the Conx app. 100/Zero, 200-2.1, 400-20.3, 700-91.1, 1000-231.8, 1325-497.8
@1325 i'm still showing 1455 velocity

No way I'm transonic at 1012 yds. 1500 yds is where I get down to 1287 for velocity.

These are the numbers entered into the Conx app. 100/Zero, 200-2.1, 400-20.3, 700-91.1, 1000-231.8, 1325-497.8
@1325 i'm still showing 1455 velocity

Instead of putting drop in inches, try putting in the hold? I'm not sure as I don't use this functionality.

6x47. So the caliber matters when using the Custom settings?

Well I think it does, Because when I load a 7mm Dakota the furthest it would accept was 1595 yards, Yet it let me load the Distances and Drops for the 408 Cheytac out to 2600 yards,

You can check it out your self if you go to post 29 of mine on this page and load those numbers I posted there and take it outside and try it and just Zap targets beyond 1000 yards and see what happens,Ok.

good luck and let me know how you get on,

John.

I read a blog about the Sportsman vs Elite and the guys was doing drops at like 4000 yards or something crazy. They came up to pretty similar results but obviously a little different.

I know the Elite is the way to go if I'm trying to shoot my creedmoor to 1500+ yards and attempt a first round hit. Anything at that distance will be purely a steel plate and I can't take multiple shots. I believe for 1200-1300 and in the Sportsman will work fine for us 6mm-6.5 guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a blog about the Sportsman vs Elite and the guys was doing drops at like 4000 yards or something crazy. They came up to pretty similar results but obviously a little different.

I know the Elite is the way to go if I'm trying to shoot my creedmoor to 1500+ yards and attempt a first round hit. Anything at that distance will be purely a steel plate and I can't take multiple shots. I believe for 1200-1300 and in the Sportsman will work fine for us 6mm-6.5 guys.

Sportsman won't go beyond 800

Well I think it does, Because when I load a 7mm Dakota the furthest it would accept was 1595 yards, Yet it let me load the Distances and Drops for the 408 Cheytac out to 2600 yards,

You can check it out your self if you go to post 29 of mine on this page and load those numbers I posted there and take it outside and try it and just Zap targets beyond 1000 yards and see what happens,Ok.

good luck and let me know how you get on,

John.

My drops are very similar to your 7 Dakota if I use a 200 yd zero. Don't know why the app wont let me enter anything further than 1360 with my 100yd zero. Still don't know why it wont give me corrections past 1000 if the app is accepting it. I believe you that your combo of numbers work and it will give corrections past 1000. No point in me entering numbers that don't match my setup though.

My drops are very similar to your 7 Dakota if I use a 200 yd zero. Don't know why the app wont let me enter anything further than 1360 with my 100yd zero. Still don't know why it wont give me corrections past 1000 if the app is accepting it. I believe you that your combo of numbers work and it will give corrections past 1000. No point in me entering numbers that don't match my setup though.

Call Bushy

Ha. I can hear them now...like the manual says, it don't compute past 1000. Lol. Anyway, I set up another custom profile using my 6.5x47 numbers. It let me go up to 1300 on the app and that's about where she starts to go trans. Still a no-go with it giving elevation numbers past 1000 with that profile too. It will range a grassy hillside at 1200 easy though, so that's cool.

Right well if it won't let you enter anything further than 1360 the that is what the App considers the Ballistic effectiveness of that Bullet,

Try loading in the Cheytac 408 and go and range something out past 1000 yards, I only went up to 2600 in the App because there was no point in taking it to the limit because the ConX does not go that far, The Absolute limit on the 7mm is 1595 yards, If you go 1 yard over it won't let you put it in the App.

Although your 6.5 has the speed it does not have the weight to resist the long rang effects, Where as the 408 FMJ weighs 419gr and has a G1 BC of 0.949 @2850 fps.

hope that helps.

John.

Sportsman won't go beyond 800

What do you mean it won't go past 800?

If your talking about the range card then the Sportsman doesn't have one at all. I really don't find that to be useful though. If your shooting on a known distance range you can just enter the target data. If your on an unknown distance range your going to be lazing the target anyway. Of course it would be faster on a known distance range with a range card.

What the 800 yard limit is referring to is kinda of caliber specific. It says 800 yards because it doesn't use the custom curves that are wanted after the bullet entered the transonic stage.

When does the 6.5 go subsonic? Like 1300 yards?

If you were using a gun that would shoot 2000 yards before the bullet would go subsonic the Sportsman is fine.

I was getting getting solutions past 1000 yards with mine yesterday and it will provide a solution out to 4000 yards.

Last edited:
What do you mean it won't go past 800?

What the 800 yard limit is referring to is kinda of caliber specific. It says 800 yards because it doesn't use the custom curves that are wanted after the bullet entered the transonic stage.

When does the 6.5 go subsonic? Like 1300 yards?

If you were using a gun that would shoot 2000 yards before the bullet would go subsonic the Sportsman is fine.

I was getting getting solutions past 1000 yards with mine yesterday and it will provide a solution out to 4000 yards.

Yeah I kinda clarified in my next post I'm speculating because I upgraded straight to elite, never used it as a sports

You can find out the Answer your self just by loading in the 408 Data, Unless you load that tested Data and try it you will never know the Answer.

The 7mm Dakota slows down quickly at 1650 yards doing about 1245.1 fps with about 620 ft lbs of energy "YET" the ConX App will not let you enter a maximum range past 1595 yards, So like I said the ConX App cuts off about 100 to 200 yards Plus or Minus of where the Bullet starts to turn subsonic,

John.

It won't accept the 408 data. I get an Error- Invalid Data. One or more point values is invalid. Please check your data and try again.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo64288.png
    photo64288.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 29
  • photo64289.png
    photo64289.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 32
Same error with the 7 Dakota numbers. I'm wondering if my firmware is outdated or something. Ser made in April 16'.

Last edited:
Well It works on my Galaxy Note 3 so maybe you need to uninstall it and re-download it again,

I don't have a Sim card in my note 3 because I only use it for the ConX so I don't use it as a phone. I will double check those figures before you change anything.

John

So I got,,,

sight In = 600 yards (NOT) metres.

point 1 =900 yards = 82.2" Drop.

point 2 =1200 yards =239.9" Drop.

point 3 =1500 yards =492.4" Drop

point 4 =1800 yards =867.0" Drop.

point 5 =2600 yards =2750.2" Drop

AND make sure the Icon is GREEN by pressing the ConX LRF's Range Button and Hit SAVE on the Lower right of the App Page..

Hope that helps,

John.

I tried deleting and reinstalling. This is on a iPhone 5c

Yeah the numbers are right, its paired, just won't accept them. I don't know man. I've got it to accept numbers past 1000 on both of my other profiles to the 1300 range but it still wont give me a correction in the rangefinder past 1000. What is the ser # and date on the bottom of your unit?

Yeah the numbers are right, its paired, just won't accept them. I don't know man. I've got it to accept numbers past 1000 on both of my other profiles to the 1300 range but it still wont give me a correction in the rangefinder past 1000. What is the ser # and date on the bottom of your unit?

Mine was made April 2016 and the S/N is and the model No is 202540

John.

PS have you got a Non Apple product you can hook it up to like a tablet or an android phone etc.

Last edited:
Same numbers here. I'll try it with an old android device tomorrow.

Same numbers here. I'll try it with an old android device tomorrow.

Ok mate no worries I will be here, Don't forget to remove your serial number from your post., I did hear about a couple of blokes having issues running the App on Apple gizmo's How true that is I don't know, So just a thought.

good luck,

John.

Make sure the units match. If the distances are yards, make sure the conx is set to yards.

Make sure the units match. If the distances are yards, make sure the conx is set to yards.

Mine sets it's self to what ever I click on in the App, I tried to fool it by setting the ConX to metres and it changed it back, Lol.

John.

I've got an older android phone and it can't even find the app in the store. The only thing bushnell its returning is the trial cam app. Tried it with my daughters newer iPhone and it still won't accept the numbers. Look like I'm stuck to 1000 and under which isn't a big deal. I'll use the kestrel mostly anyway to get the correction.

I've got an older android phone and it can't even find the app in the store. The only thing bushnell its returning is the trial cam app. Tried it with my daughters newer iPhone and it still won't accept the numbers. Look like I'm stuck to 1000 and under which isn't a big deal. I'll use the kestrel mostly anyway to get the correction.

Ok mate I will try and find the App for you,

John.

Here ya go mate,

John.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bushnell.lrf

Thanks, but it won't install on the phone. Says it isn't a compatible device. Its an old Samsung phone 6 years anyway. It isn't compatible with an older galaxy tab 3 tablet either.

Last edited:
Thanks, but it won't install on the phone. Says it isn't a compatible device. Its an old Samsung phone 6 years anyway. It isn't compatible with an older galaxy tab 3 tablet either.

Yep I had the same issue which is why I bought the Galaxy Note 3, It won't load on my Galaxy Note 1 or my Galaxy Ace and nor will it load on my Nexus 7 Tablet which is the first model they bought out that runs 4.4 I think.

John.

Well I just bought one of these from Brownells and I went to Bushnell's website to look at all of the bullet combinations that you can put in to the range finder. I am using a Sierra 210 grain matchking with a ballistic coefficient of .61. There is nothing in their catalog that comes close with the exception of going up to a 220 grain match king. I looked at Berger and Hornady for something that comes close to no avail. Does anyone know if you can manually enter your bullet data into the range finder if it is not in the Bushnell catalog?

Well I just bought one of these from Brownells and I went to Bushnell's website to look at all of the bullet combinations that you can put in to the range finder. I am using a Sierra 210 grain matchking with a ballistic coefficient of .61. There is nothing in their catalog that comes close with the exception of going up to a 220 grain match king. I looked at Berger and Hornady for something that comes close to no avail. Does anyone know if you can manually enter your bullet data into the range finder if it is not in the Bushnell catalog?

You don't need to enter your data the way you would with an App, Read the first post in this thread and any of the other post on how to program in it this thread and you will be able to customize the ConX Data to suit your Rifle and Load.

John.

Gotcha Karma I guess I have to wait until it arrives on Tuesday. I was just trying to get ahead of the game

Gotcha Karma I guess I have to wait until it arrives on Tuesday. I was just trying to get ahead of the game

Well Bushnell's Bullet charts work within 6" or less most of the time they are within 1 to 2 inches but you have to pick the one that suits your 300 yard range or your 500 yard range, If you load your drop data of your setup in to the FREE ConX App as I have listed then your ConX will match your Rifle to within 0.01 to 0.03" of an inch, And it will be as accurate as your input data, So the more accurate you input the more accurate the ConX will be,

John.

Any tricks for getting it to connect to the app? I'm using a Google Pixel with android 7.1. It'll show up, I can click on it to connect, then 30 seconds later, "unable to connect". I tried pairing through the Bluetooth settings and same issue.

Any tricks for getting it to connect to the app? I'm using a Google Pixel with android 7.1. It'll show up, I can click on it to connect, then 30 seconds later, "unable to connect". I tried pairing through the Bluetooth settings and same issue.

No mate, Just hit the range button on the ConX and click the button on the App, and one paired the ConX will automatically link up with your phone, It really is a blast to use and so simple,

Good Luck,

John.

Well, I ended up syncing it with my tablet. So loaded some data and played in the neighborhood, looks good. Excited to get it to the range.

Well, I ended up syncing it with my tablet. So loaded some data and played in the neighborhood, looks good. Excited to get it to the range.

It's quite amazing how fast it talks to the Tablet or Phone, The come ups are on the screen faster than you can look from the ConX to the Tab/Phone.

well done and have fun.

John.

I tried getting more information off Bushnell's web site. Is it lacking, or am I just not finding any real detail on the site?

One question I did not see answered - do I need to use a mobile device to connect to the ConX, or can I use a PC? Both my phone and iPad are supplied by my work, and putting "personal" apps on them is discouraged. Which leads to the next question - if it can work from a PC (Windows 10), does it require bluetooth, or will it work off a USB cable?

These next items I think I understand, but would just like to clarify:
First off, I have ColdBore on my laptop. So I have a good ballistic calculator. But right now, there is no Kestral/Coldbore interface for the ConX, correct?

If I stay with the Kestral I have now (no bluetooth or ballistics) - I would have to use the 3 custom ballistic entries to put in three different DA settings for the gun I am using on a given day. Use my Kestral to know the DA, select the right gun, and go to work with the ConX. Sound right, or am I missing something?

If I upgrade to the Kestral with bluetooth and AB, do you need the full version of AB to get the most out of it? I'm guessing that if I go this route, it is a huge duplication of effort between the AB and the Coldbore?

I've read this thread a few times, and searched the Bushnell web site, but these answers didn't jump out at me.

Thanks!

I tried getting more information off Bushnell's web site. Is it lacking, or am I just not finding any real detail on the site?

One question I did not see answered - do I need to use a mobile device to connect to the ConX, or can I use a PC? Both my phone and iPad are supplied by my work, and putting "personal" apps on them is discouraged. Which leads to the next question - if it can work from a PC (Windows 10), does it require bluetooth, or will it work off a USB cable?

These next items I think I understand, but would just like to clarify:
First off, I have ColdBore on my laptop. So I have a good ballistic calculator. But right now, there is no Kestral/Coldbore interface for the ConX, correct?

If I stay with the Kestral I have now (no bluetooth or ballistics) - I would have to use the 3 custom ballistic entries to put in three different DA settings for the gun I am using on a given day. Use my Kestral to know the DA, select the right gun, and go to work with the ConX. Sound right, or am I missing something?

If I upgrade to the Kestral with bluetooth and AB, do you need the full version of AB to get the most out of it? I'm guessing that if I go this route, it is a huge duplication of effort between the AB and the Coldbore?

I've read this thread a few times, and searched the Bushnell web site, but these answers didn't jump out at me.

Thanks!

1) Yes you do need a mobile device IE a cell phone or Tablet etc and I have not seen anything about connecting it to a PC, but a cheap modern Cell will do the job just fine.

2) No that's right there is no Coldbore interface.

3) Yes you could load 3 curves that have 3 different DA readings in to each of the Gun 1,2,3 / Custom 1, 2, or 3.

4) No you do not need the full blown version of AB, The Kestrel Sportsman has/is loaded with a Lite version of AB already which you can get updated to the full blown version so it will be the same as the Kestrel Elite.

hope that helps and if you need more help, just call,

good luck.

John.

John - thanks for the quick response.

As far as the version of AB, I was really thinking of a PC based version like ColdBore. But I really don't know what they offer, so I need to dig into that a bit more. I hate to throw away my investment in ColdBore (time and data collection more so than $), and I hate to duplicate efforts. So I need to dig deeper into the AB side of things.

One last clarification - If I have the Kestral with AB linked to the range finder, and I've got my specific load data in the Kestral - the ConX will give me solution data based on current environmental conditions, correct? The idea of being able to take a step out of the process from reading yardage then going to another device or range card is appealing.

John - thanks for the quick response.

As far as the version of AB, I was really thinking of a PC based version like ColdBore. But I really don't know what they offer, so I need to dig into that a bit more. I hate to throw away my investment in ColdBore (time and data collection more so than $), and I hate to duplicate efforts. So I need to dig deeper into the AB side of things.

One last clarification - If I have the Kestral with AB linked to the range finder, and I've got my specific load data in the Kestral - the ConX will give me solution data based on current environmental conditions, correct? The idea of being able to take a step out of the process from reading yardage then going to another device or range card is appealing.

It would give you the elevation hold only in the LRF, you still need to either look at the kestrel or figure yourself for wind.

Any of you guys running an AB Kestrel with this? I was wondering how that was going. Will the conx display the solution from AB?

So, a little feedback from using it at a match yesterday.

Mid day sun with terrible mirage, it'll range a 12x24" steel plate at 700, trees at more than 900.

Having your dope on your range finder is awesome. 2 moa plates to 600 or so in similar conditions.

This was mostly off hand. So far I'm happy

I picked one of these up recently. My biggest question is what do you do to keep your phone or other device from overheating? Most phones want to overheat when outside in the summer heat, and that's just sitting there.