• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The end of my Sniper career...

Re: The end of my Sniper career...

Depending on what you like I would use your GI Bill for school, or, you could roll through ROTC (Would be cake for you) and do the officer thing if you wanted to. Idk, something to think about.

You will want to choke somebody in ROTC too.

If you are prior service and want to do the officer thing, OCS is the route to go.

Nothing like being treated like a private in ROTC by the other cadets who think they are something because they have been in the program for 3 years. Privates with a power trip is all that MS3 and 4 cadets are. Plus you don't want to go to PT at 5 in the morning during college. You did that enough when you were active.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will want to choke somebody in ROTC too.

If you are prior service and want to do the officer thing, OCS is the route to go.</div></div>

+1 if you want to be an officer, stay in and go ocs. there is no way you are going to be able to stand by and take shit from some 3rd year rotc nazi if you are prior service.

i remember being at my first day at jump school and seeing that i was going to have to attend the course with a half-dozen rotc cadets. it about made me sick to see those cocky civilian punks taking slots that should be going to active soldiers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are plenty of knowledgeable people that took the time to respond to this thread and then there was your post.

I think that the 18E had it well in hand but you still had to pipe in "GO DELTA". Might as well offer up being the CEO of General Electric as an option. I particularly like your nonchalant suggestion that SF is along the same lines but different and well that's my third choice.

I don't know you from adam. Hell dude you could have been in SF and I would still call you a poser for your post.

As for me I'm a former Marine. My knowledge of SF is all second hand. What I do know is that the divorce rates are high and CAG deploys a lot. At least these are the two most common themes that I have heard over the years.
</div></div>

Why is there something wrong with trying out for Delta? A lot of people still refer it to Delta because some people aren't as cool as you are and refer to it with the cool guy name. I don't know either you or gubuica from adam but damn someone makes a reference to something and you jumped down there ass and the fact is you don't know wtf you are talking about.

Delta doesn't have their own delta babies that they raise to become Delta guys, in the Army it was actually mandatory for me to go to a brief given by a Delta guy. In fact one of the guys from a Arty unit in my Brigade went to Delta selection and made it. So no it isn't even close to being a CEO of GE.

So maybe you should pull your head out of your ass before you accuse someone of something you have no clue about.

Also Delta does deploy a lot but unlike a regular Army unit they do short deployments like the Air Force.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is there something wrong with trying out for Delta? A lot of people still refer it to Delta because some people aren't as cool as you are and refer to it with the cool guy name. I don't know either you or gubuica from adam but damn someone makes a reference to something and you jumped down there ass and the fact is you don't know wtf you are talking about.

Delta doesn't have their own delta babies that they raise to become Delta guys, in the Army it was actually mandatory for me to go to a brief given by a Delta guy. In fact one of the guys from a Arty unit in my Brigade went to Delta selection and made it. So no it isn't even close to being a CEO of GE.

So maybe you should pull your head out of your ass before you accuse someone of something you have no clue about.

Also Delta does deploy a lot but unlike a regular Army unit they do short deployments like the Air Force. </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Shut your damn mouth. </span>
We are trying to give solid advice. Don't hijack this thread, or add some nonsense. The original poster had no idea what he was talking about and it showed. You should know that. If you have some good advice then give it. As someone who says they know, you should be leading by example....

I am giving solid advice.

I have to appoligize, I said the "D" word. I know that when people see that word that you instantly think "poser."

But, that is what it is- First Special Forces Operational Detatchment-<span style="color: #CC0000">DELTA</span>

I will refrain from using the "D" word from here on out. But, just because a couple of guys are attacking the posting does NOT give the suggestion any less merit.

Pop-culture has raised this hereforto be un-named group to a vuanted, almost mythical status. It is in reality a group of extreme profesionals that are good at what they do. They are NOT a bunch of Chuck Norris's running around killing people with their laser eyes. It really is an organization, it is not some mythical monolyth that is un-attainable to all but the biggest of Mall-Ninja.

The hereforto be un-named group actively recruits from active service members. Rogue is an active service member that has expressed a desire to continue what he loves to do. The hereforto be un-named group is one option hor him to continue what he enjoys. It is not the only option, but it is a real possibility.

I don't know Rogue personally, but I have had some comunication with him on here. He seems like a level headed, intelligent professional. These happen to be some qualities that I think would be important in his carreer path.

Suggesting he research the hereforto be un-named group is no less of a real option than suggesting he look into SF or Sniper Instructor or SWAT team member. Not everyone can be an Operator, not everyone can be a Ranger, Scout Sniper or SWAT team member either. If he wants to be any of these though, he can.

Also, I did not intend to rank my suggestions. I did not say that SF is somehow below the hereforto be un-named group. It is a similar job description, as I said, but it is different. SF deployments are typically longer. Something that Rogue expressed that he would like to avoid.

I was not cheerleading or fanboying the hereforto be un-mamed group either. I appresiate what they do, but I also appreciate what any Armed Forces Member does. One is no better than the other, they all perform important tasks.

I understand your reluctance, but just because someone thinks I am a poser does not make my suggestion any less realistic. Your trouncing of this thread actually could keep someone from investigating it, which is sad. If the organization and the individual are a good fit, there should be no reason they think "wow, I don't want people to think I am a poser if I want to check this out."

All in all, it is a pretty good gig.

Rogue can think whatever he wants about any of the advice given in this thread. But don't handicap him by acting like if he wants to check into any of the suggestions he is somehow a "poser."

There is nothing wrong with your advice. I think it's pretty good.

Actually, I think the best advice in this thread came from eleaf:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do what you love, dude. Nothing else will do.</div></div>

Those of us who are older may have regrets about the time we spent doing something we didn't love, just for the money.

As long as doing what you love doesn't conflict with your family obligations, you're in heaven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am giving solid advice.
</div></div>

No your not. Your misrepresenting yourself (see my first post).

Allow me to elaborate. There is no official information about CAG, Delta, SFOD-D (whatever it doesn't really matter). Any claims to knowledge are not verifiable. You not only introduced the subject you are claiming specific knowledge and recommending it as a career.

This is misinformation/bad intel/dissembling.

My personal philosophy is that what one man can achieve another can as well. It is not that operators in CAG are some mythical beast it is that you are making recommendations based upon non verifiable information i.e. speculation. This in and of itself is baffling.

Since you didn't take my advice I now have to ask the question are you an avid card player or is there another reason you have a spade in your avatar? The reason I ask is that it is a readily recognizable symbol of the United States Special Operations Forces or is it another attempt at dissembling?

Jong:

You gave some good info about the "backdoor" into the reconnaissance community. There are some good folks over at 4th RECON BN and your info is solid. See the difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Allow me to elaborate. There is no official information about CAG, Delta, SFOD-D (whatever it doesn't really matter). Any claims to knowledge are not verifiable. </div></div>

Actually, all the information given is verifiable...if interested, a service member can go talk to them. Again, they do recruit, the representative can answer a lot of questions one may have. Even if the questions start with "I heard that..." and end with "is that true?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is misinformation/bad intel/dissembling. </div></div>

See, thats the thing, you are claiming that I do not know what I am talking about, but, do you? Do you know with 100% certainty that the above statement is correct? If you think there is no way to find out any intel on this ellusive group...how do you know I am wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal philosophy is that what one man can achieve another can as well. </div></div>

I agree 100% with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you didn't take my advice I now have to ask the question are you an avid card player or is there another reason you have a spade in your avatar? </div></div>

I happen to like Spades, in particular the Ace of Spades. I am, in fact, a fan of Motorhead. The Ace of Spades is also the Death Card in Tarot, which fits in well with the Dark Side theme. Interestingly enough though, the Death Card in a Tarot reading does not actually signify a person dieing, but rather a situation (sorry, got a little off track there, just stuff I find interesting).

I think you may be reading to much into this. I would hope that someone would just take the suggestion at face value and not assume anything about what I know or why I gave it. If anyone is interested in this career path, go talk to a rep, or go ruck up and give it a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jong:

You gave some good info about the "backdoor" into the reconnaissance community. There are some good folks over at 4th RECON BN and your info is solid. See the difference? </div></div>

I do need to give him credit, that sounds like a very legitimate option. I did not comment on it because I have no knowledge or experience with it, but it may be worth looking in to.

Everything listed in this thread could be good advice. It is up to the individual to find out about each and figure out if it is right for them.

Ask around about the senior noncoms and talk with some that have a diverse background during their career. They should have some good tip for you.

There have been some good suggestions here, if nothing is looking good after a while consider another branch of service, or go talk with some of them now.

Re: Post 9/11 GI Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congress gave you the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If you're getting out, you'd be insane not to use it. Four years of in-state tuition, plus books and E-5 BAH. Put a four year degree on top of your military experience, and that's a killer combo. I've got a couple young soldiers on my team that are going that route. Shoot me a PM and I'll pass along the information I've given them. </div></div>

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but when you elect to convert your Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill you are obligated to put in 2 more years of service.
Also the Post 9/11 GI bill is still better for some people if they are going to a cheap community college in po dunk kansas they will get more money out of the MGIB because the Post 9/11 GIB pays actual cost vice flat rate. Just something else to consider. Congress made it so you know there has to be loopholes.
if you served in the Mil long enough to be elegible for the full post 9/11 GIB and you got out prior to Sept 1 2009 then you are SOL unless you got med sep or med retired. If anyone has more Questions I can put you in touch with the "expert' on my base to anser them for you. Just shoot me a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be getting out with a little over 6 years in. The idea of being a cop isn't thrilling but I'm thinking that might be my only choice.... </div></div>

I haven't read through the other replies, but I will give you what I have based on my personal experience.

I did a tour and a half in the Marine Corps. A little as regular infantry, most as a Scout Sniper in an infantry battalion and some as a Jungle Warfare Instructor. Just before my last deployment I met the woman who would become my wife. I knew what the infantry did to family life and the operational tempo of my unit would not have me home often even while stateside. While it was a good run and I would not have had a problem with making it a life long career, having a family was more important to me. I didn't like any of the "lat-move" options at the time because after what I had experienced in the Corps I was not about to trade it to be a desk pogue. I figured if I was going to ride a desk I might as well do it in the civilian sector where I could get paid more and tell my boss to kiss my ass when I got sick of it.

I signed my papers, packed my trash and kissed LeJuene bye-bye.

I did a couple of desk jobs for several years until I realized that I would go crazy sitting inside staring at the same four walls. I REALLY hated the couple of jobs I had. I had poor performance and general bad attitude. My family life suffered because I knew that I chose them over the life I knew up to that point.

When our local PD was hiring I put in my application, then forgot about it until they called me for testing. Our process is a very lengthy one and few of the MANY candidates actually make it. I took the tests, amazingly passes the psych, hearing, and board interview and got placed on the list at #6 out of several hundred. I got hired in the first four off that list.

I am now six years into it and one of four Snipers and an entry team member on our Tactical Team.

The first word of advice I can give you is that if you aren't thrilled with the thought of being a cop, DON'T do it. You work shit hours for crap pay and the thanks you get is some asshole fighting with you over $5 worth of lunch meat he just stole from the local grocery because he spent his last dime on crack. I spent six months in rehab for a blown knee from that one. Asshole went to jail until trial then got three years WORK RELEASE.

You will have people talk shit to you and tell you how to do your job. You will find that everyone you come in contact with tells you they know their rights, when they generally have NO CLUE what their rights really are and don't listen when you tell them what their rights are. They are all legal experts and while they can't tell you what law justifies their actions they will tell you that their uncles, cousin's sister's boyfriend works for the state police and he said it's Ok.

You will find a pound of weed in a guy's crotch and two bags of crack in his pocket and he will proceed to tell you he didn't know it was there because they weren't his pants. You will laugh, but the prosecutor's office will still plea it down to a misdemeanor and the guy will pay $500 in fines (not even half the value of the drugs you took off of him) and be back on his corner an hour later with a better business plan.

Do I love it? No. Do I enjoy my work? Yes. But I enjoy it because I know that someone has to do it and 99.99% of the population cant or wont. I do it because the core idea is the same as fighting in our military. If no one will stand to fight then we loose everything.

I punch in when I have to. I work late nights and early mornings when required. I sacrifice holidays, birthdays and anniversaries because it's necessary. I thoroughly enjoy my time off, vacations and take days off whenever I just get the feeling that someone is going to have a bad day.

In short, police work is the only occupation where I can even come close to the adrenaline dump I experienced in the Corps when the ramp came down and you bailed out into the unknown.

You will sacrifice a LOT for police work. Maybe even your life. But you will serve your community in a way that the average citizen will never understand.

If you hear the calling, heed it. Your community and your brothers need you.

Gugubica: Dude, you have no real intel about the Dboys. That is why people are getting upset. You are selling them like you know about them. How can you sell something that you know nothing about or is all hearsay?

Do you think the Rogue hasn't heard of Delta or SF?

Damn, you guys act like you know more about the military than the guys in the military because you read a book or two.

Why don't you just say, "I read that Delta is pretty cool and wish I could have done it. Maybe you could try that route".

You don't know what they do, how they train, or how they are structured other than from rumors, books, and tv shows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pop-culture has raised this hereforto be un-named group to a vuanted, almost mythical status. It is in reality a group of extreme profesionals that are good at what they do. They are NOT a bunch of Chuck Norris's running around killing people with their laser eyes. It really is an organization, it is not some mythical monolyth that is un-attainable to all but the biggest of Mall-Ninja.</div></div> How do you know if any of this is true or not? You are not in CAG!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hereforto be un-named group actively recruits from active service members. Rogue is an active service member that has expressed a desire to continue what he loves to do. The hereforto be un-named group is one option hor him to continue what he enjoys.</div></div> How do you know what he would be able to continue in Delta? Have you been an operator with them and know what goes on in their program?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All in all, it is a pretty good gig.</div></div>How do you know it is a good gig? Were you an operator? Once again you are spouting off shit you know nothing about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second is Delta. I would highly recommend this one. You will still be deployable (of coarse) but it is different. Your wife will be in a much better network. She will be better taken care of. She wont have to deal with the day to day bullshit that most spouces have to endure. It truely is a different world.</div></div> This is why people are getting upset with you. All of this stuff you posted is hearsay and what you have gotten from books or tv. All of this sounds like personal experience, but it isn't. How can you tell a soldier what his wife will go through if you or your wife have never been in that situation. This isn't the f'ing Unit bro! He is a "real soldier" looking for real advise! Stick to what you know and have experienced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Shut your damn mouth. </span>
We are trying to give solid advice. Don't hijack this thread, or add some nonsense. The original poster had no idea what he was talking about and it showed. You should know that. If you have some good advice then give it. As someone who says they know, you should be leading by example.... </div></div>

How do you know what I am talking about is nonsense? From personal experience? Where do you think they get guys for Delta and why would it not be possible for the op to try out for Delta? According to the requirements for Delta 6 yrs ago, the op if over 25 would meet them. All he has to do is ask the right people, do the requirements, and he is off for selection.

I am actually starting to find this a little funny. You have to see the irony in your posts.

You claim that I don't know what I am talking about and that I am basing all this off of a TV show...but, how do you know I am wrong, what are you basing that claim off of?

Do you have any personal experience? No, so how can you legitimately claim I am wrong?

Again, there is an easy way to find out if any of this is true or not...ask. Go ask your unit commander when the next presentation is scheduled on Post. Attend it, then go ask the representative questions.

Ask if you and your family will have a personal Physician instead of having to deal with PA's and the gaggle-fuck system on post. Ask about the suport network for families. Ask about what the average deployment is like. Ask if you will be assigned a to a specific theater of operation. Ask. Ask Ask.

You may think that this stuff is closely guarded super secret squirel shit. Some is, but if you are eligible, the info is available.

The caveat is the the info I do have is over 12 years old at this point. But I would not think that the claims I have made are outdated or have changed. It is possible, that is why you need to ask.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. My USAF career was 6 yrs active and 4 in the Guard. I did attend classes while on active duty on base. When I got out, I used GI Bill and my military experience to get A&P license as well as pilots license. You dont want the educational benefits to expire, use them for something. I would like to be doing something different now, but mine have expired. In the next year you have time to think about what is best for you and your family and move on towards it. I worked full time and went to school full time while I was married and it worked out. You can make it work if you want. Again, good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I think the best advice in this thread came from eleaf:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do what you love, dude. Nothing else will do.</div></div>

</div></div>

As usual, you are correct, I could not agree more with that.

Okay, so your basing your info from a brief 12 years ago?

Thanks for the info, it is very informative.

I am not nor are any other posters claiming to have info on Delta. That is the point! I have never nor will I ever be in Delta. So I don't talk about shit from a briefing like it is first hand experience.

I did USMC 4 yrs active, and then a large municipal PD. I loved the PD. I liked that every day in patrol was so different, and I worked on great squads and had great supervisors.

My younger brother went Los Angeles County Fire Dept route. He never went to college, and just made Captain after 23 yrs. I am very proud of him. He has worked some great gigs and great shifts, that have allowed a lot of time at home with his family.

I used to tell my guys if they had 10-12 years in, to stick out the 20, otherwise they would most likely regret not getting that pension. But if they had in 4-6 yrs in and were burned out, then get out and move on, possibly stay in the reserves if they could find a good local unit.

You could probably go right back in if the grass isn't greener on the outside (not sure about that though).

I had a cubicle job once, lasted 18 mos, was crawling the walls. It had great pay etc, but it just wasn't for me.

If you go private sector, you will also work with plenty of people who are wasting air. And you will have no job security and could be at the whim of some high-heeled HR manager and supervisors during a hard economy.

I would do some ride-alongs with PD weekend swing shift to see if you would like it, and tour a firehouse. You never know.

Good luck with the next chapter of your life, and thank you for your service.

I've had a few jobs, and made a few transitions similar to one you are thinking about, so I'll offer some advice:

The first of which is that the things you do or have done will rarely be as interesting to others as they are to you. So, ask yourself only one question: If I don't make the change will I always wonder 'what if' I had left. If you are the kind of person that will wonder, or will regret not doing it, don't be afraid to say "Fuck it" and leave.

Second, it's never a question of what you do for a living, but what you are becoming as a human being: It's a journey; always. That's one of the reasons why, in the eastern cultures, people rarely ask "What do you do?" and instead ask "What are your hobbies?". Because your interests tell more about you than your job ever will.

Third, you could try to make a living at pursuing a hobby. Some people manage, and have fun at it. Others just end up hating their former hobby. It all depends, again, on you and on who you are.

Fourth, here, meaning in North America and not only on this site, I see people every day who cling too tightly to what they do for a living or what they did at some time in their lives. Be proud of what you did in the past, especially in the military, but know that it's important to others that you don't rely on it, or lead with it, and that you stop short of boring others with it who aren't interested in it.

Fifth, law enforcement isn't what it used to be. And it's now probably more over-rated than it ever was. If you're 'not thrilled' by it, then don't bother with it. And if you are thrilled with it, then you're probably not the right person for it.

Sixth, find something that you don't hate: a job that you don't hate going to, so you don't have to live for the weekends and for your vacation.

And finally, I'm with Lindy: do what you love. Problem is, you don't always know ahead of time what that is or is going to be. So, I'll modify his (eleaf's) advice to add: do what you love enough that it will hold your interest long enough to work at it for the forseeable future.

If you want to make the change, do. If you don't want to make the change, don't. But make your decision with an active mind. Worst of all is giving in to fear and not doing anything simply by default.

If you don't want to go back in, just make sure if someone is calling you that you don't know, don't volunteer it is you because it might be the Army calling you to come back. You might have to do that until your IRR time is up.

Shark,

Thanks man. I know that may have been hard to do. I will never think less than the highest possible reguard for what you have done. Thank you.

To be fair...

I know many of the thrills that you speak of. Navigating for what seem to be endless distances. Just when you think you HAVE to be close, you figure out you have a long way to go. I have humped stupid amounts of weight. I have the shitty back and blown out knees as constant reminders. Moleskin is worthless when the entire outside edge of your feet have no skin left. I have had to make a very hard choice between love of family and love of a calling. I knew guys that are not here, I know guys that are only here technically, but not really.

I have been stuck in a shithole, sweeting my ass off thinking, "why the hell are we trying to save these people? They are not willing to try to save themselves." I have been stuck in a different shithole freezing my ass off wondering the same thing.

I have looked at my wife and saw in her eyes that she just doesn't understand why I do it even though she said she supports me.

My hero is also the only person I trust completely without question. He was my teammate and friend. He ETSed shortly after I did. He went to school and got a degree and signed back up. He is 34 years old and starting the process all over again as an officer this time. He hates Officers.

I know what I know from personal experience. I was not an Operator. I did seriously consider that path many years ago. I garnered information from more than just a briefing. I personally know two that made it through selection. I bailed before I got to that point.

I made a tough desicion that it was not for me. I still wonder if I made the right choice, but don't regret the choice. I asked questions, I researched, I started the process. I gathered as much information as I could from as many sources as I could and made my choice based on that. I took everything into account and realized that we were not meant for each other.

But, it is worth checking out if one is so inclined. It is for each to make up their own mind.

I have not, however, ever humped a Zodiac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have not, however, ever humped a Zodiac.</div></div>

It's over rated. Boat trailers work far better
smile.gif

This thread has taken a hilarious turn...Gecko45, is that you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has taken a hilarious turn...Gecko45, is that you?</div></div>

Is that directed towards me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CJS10mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but when you elect to convert your Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill you are obligated to put in 2 more years of service.
Also the Post 9/11 GI bill is still better for some people if they are going to a cheap community college in po dunk kansas they will get more money out of the MGIB because the Post 9/11 GIB pays actual cost vice flat rate. Just something else to consider. Congress made it so you know there has to be loopholes.
if you served in the Mil long enough to be elegible for the full post 9/11 GIB and you got out prior to Sept 1 2009 then you are SOL unless you got med sep or med retired. If anyone has more Questions I can put you in touch with the "expert' on my base to anser them for you. Just shoot me a PM.

</div></div>

Well, thats all pretty much wrong.

1) you are not obligated to serve additional time
2) the Post 9/11 while paying *actual* costs also pays 1000 dollar a year book stipend as well as a living stipend at the same rate as an E5 with dependents for the zip code of your college. For example: I will be attending college starting 1 Feb 2010. I will have school and books paid for as well as receive the LA area living stipend (BAH equivalent to an E5 w/Dep) at the rate of 2052.00 a month SO LONG as I take more than half time. In other words- I get all the goodies for taking 6.5 credits or more.

3) no comment on the pre-911 ETS as I dont know because doesnt apply to me.

Anyone who has questions about the Post 911 or MGIB should call 1-888-442-4551 mon-wed during business hours Central time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am giving solid advice.

I have to appoligize, I said the "D" word. I know that when people see that word that you instantly think "poser."

But, that is what it is- First Special Forces Operational Detatchment-<span style="color: #CC0000">DELTA</span>

I will refrain from using the "D" word from here on out. But, just because a couple of guys are attacking the posting does NOT give the suggestion any less merit.

Pop-culture has raised this hereforto be un-named group to a vuanted, almost mythical status. It is in reality a group of extreme profesionals that are good at what they do. They are NOT a bunch of Chuck Norris's running around killing people with their laser eyes. It really is an organization, it is not some mythical monolyth that is un-attainable to all but the biggest of Mall-Ninja.

The hereforto be un-named group actively recruits from active service members. Rogue is an active service member that has expressed a desire to continue what he loves to do. The hereforto be un-named group is one option hor him to continue what he enjoys. It is not the only option, but it is a real possibility.

I don't know Rogue personally, but I have had some comunication with him on here. He seems like a level headed, intelligent professional. These happen to be some qualities that I think would be important in his carreer path.

Suggesting he research the hereforto be un-named group is no less of a real option than suggesting he look into SF or Sniper Instructor or SWAT team member. Not everyone can be an Operator, not everyone can be a Ranger, Scout Sniper or SWAT team member either. If he wants to be any of these though, he can.

Also, I did not intend to rank my suggestions. I did not say that SF is somehow below the hereforto be un-named group. It is a similar job description, as I said, but it is different. SF deployments are typically longer. Something that Rogue expressed that he would like to avoid.

I was not cheerleading or fanboying the hereforto be un-mamed group either. I appresiate what they do, but I also appreciate what any Armed Forces Member does. One is no better than the other, they all perform important tasks.

I understand your reluctance, but just because someone thinks I am a poser does not make my suggestion any less realistic. Your trouncing of this thread actually could keep someone from investigating it, which is sad. If the organization and the individual are a good fit, there should be no reason they think "wow, I don't want people to think I am a poser if I want to check this out."

All in all, it is a pretty good gig.

Rogue can think whatever he wants about any of the advice given in this thread. But don't handicap him by acting like if he wants to check into any of the suggestions he is somehow a "poser."

</div></div>

Heretofore.jpg

I'm just sayin'...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have not, however, ever humped a Zodiac.</div></div>

It's over rated. Boat trailers work far better
smile.gif

</div></div>

That is kind of my thinking on it too!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it had to happen eventually. After being fortunate enough to have gotten selected and been a Sniper for the last 3 years it's all over. In the army we have have a shelf life unlike the Marines. You get to come in, do your time, go to school, maybe do a few deployments and then it's "Well you gotta go, career progression and all". I knew this day would come and after 3 years and 2 deployments in the section it's been a great ride. Now it's back to a regular Infantry platoon and the more I think about it the more I'm not looking forward to it. It's back to the bullshit, the guys you have to watch out for and the ones that just waste fucking air. So I guess it's just time to get out. Here's my question. What the hell do the rest of you do? I don't have any college or special skill. I came in as an infantryman and did the Sniper thing for a little while now I have under a year left. I'll be getting out with a little over 6 years in. The idea of being a cop isn't thrilling but I'm thinking that might be my only choice.... </div></div>

Get your butt in school! You've got the GI Bill and the Post 9/11 GI Bill so use the hell out of them while you can. My tax dollars paid for your opportunity and you've done your part by defending your country, so let the taxes that were paid do theirs. Come home, relax for a moment to catch your breath, then redirect your energy to the textbooks.

Troops to teachers is an excellent program, worth looking into. Not only do you have a special skill, you have a very unique skill. Wish I could have utilized the program.

Just a thought, why not look into getting your Alpha designator and become an instructor in the military?

Sgt. "Mack"
VFW Life Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well, thats all pretty much wrong.

1) you are not obligated to serve additional time
2) the Post 9/11 while paying *actual* costs also pays 1000 dollar a year book stipend as well as a living stipend at the same rate as an E5 with dependents for the zip code of your college. For example: I will be attending college starting 1 Feb 2010. I will have school and books paid for as well as receive the LA area living stipend (BAH equivalent to an E5 w/Dep) at the rate of 2052.00 a month SO LONG as I take more than half time. In other words- I get all the goodies for taking 6.5 credits or more.

3) no comment on the pre-911 ETS as I dont know because doesnt apply to me.

Anyone who has questions about the Post 911 or MGIB should call 1-888-442-4551 mon-wed during business hours Central time.</div></div>

Thanks for the phone number update I guess I should have included that as well.
As for being all wrong, I am not. When did you enlist? if you enlisted prior to 9/11/2001 and you want the post 9/11 GIB and previously had the MGIB you have to convert. If you are converting to Post 9/11 GIB from MGIB you are obligated 2 years of service from your conversion date. (sorry I didn't specify that previously) If you did not have it you do now just by serving after 9/11/2001. I am no expert on it but there is a minimum number of days served to qualify for full benefits.
What school are you going to that puts you in an are to receive E-5 BAH at a rate of 2052? I didn't know if by LA you meant Los Angeles or Louisiana. My command received a brief by the "expert" on base and what I gave as good info was what was given to me. There are a lot of loopholes in the system as it was written by congress and we all know they couldn't write shit that we could all clearly understand.

Time passes quickly. You say you have a year left to decide...just watch how quickly that will pass. Two to four years of education will pay dividends for life. It's the best investment of time and resources you'll ever make. Just my two cents worth.

I have about a year left on my current contract as well and if it weren't for the conversion time obligation I would get out and use the new one. Heck I might even get out and go to Lassen or any other good school for gunsmithing, that would make me very happy.

you could also check out National Guard SF 19th and 20th groups this may allow you to do this as well as pursue higher education. Many states pay 100% tuition while in the Guard and you are still entitled to collect GI Bill as well.

Kinda OT, but still relevent...

Whatever you do, whenever that is, when you do venture out into the civilian world, do not retire into silence and seclusion.

Get your feet wet in the streams of public policy and politics.

A major part of the public insanities we are experiencing these days are a direct result of the failures of my generation, and succeeding generations of Veterans to do just this.

If you want more of the same, it's easy; all you have to do is turn your back on the public policy process, like we did.

Greg

If you are looking for just a job then look into contracting overseas. Working conditions are generally way better than anything in the military. An added bonus is that most people who do it are decent people because the asshats get weeded out pretty quickly. Also, you have the ability to say "fuck it" and leave at any time, unlike the military.

It isn't a career but it is decent money to get you started in life. If you are single you could easily save enough money in a year to buy a house so long as you don't buy many toys along the way. Once you have a house or the money saved for a house then look for a career you like, not so much one you are qualified for. Having a job you like goes a lot farther than having one you are qualified for.

There are a number of contracting companies out there that have a need for designated marksman, you just have to look a little. If you do go this route never take the first offer, look around because there is always more moeny to be had you just have to look.

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CJS10mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for the phone number update I guess I should have included that as well.
As for being all wrong, I am not. When did you enlist? if you enlisted prior to 9/11/2001 and you want the post 9/11 GIB and previously had the MGIB you have to convert. If you are converting to Post 9/11 GIB from MGIB you are obligated 2 years of service from your conversion date. (sorry I didn't specify that previously) If you did not have it you do now just by serving after 9/11/2001. I am no expert on it but there is a minimum number of days served to qualify for full benefits.
What school are you going to that puts you in an are to receive E-5 BAH at a rate of 2052? I didn't know if by LA you meant Los Angeles or Louisiana. My command received a brief by the "expert" on base and what I gave as good info was what was given to me. There are a lot of loopholes in the system as it was written by congress and we all know they couldn't write shit that we could all clearly understand. </div></div>
to answer your question, I enlisted 13 Sep 2002, BASD of 8 Jan 2003, Med retired 11 May 2009 as a SGT. That being said, as you will find below from the links I provide: enlistment prior to 9/11/01 effects nothing as long as you served at least 90 days aggregate afterwards.

The original poster gave no indication that he came in before 9/11/2001. The majority of guys getting out right now generally didn't come in before then either.

please provide links to your pre-9/11 currently enlisted 2 year extra conversion cus I can find nothing of the sort on any VA website. In fact- I find quite the contrary: http://www.gibill.va.gov/Training/Pamphlets.htm

90 days aggregate after 9/11/2001.

If your command is telling you this, I think they are either misinformed or they are just trying to bump up re-up numbers cus it's simply not the case from everything I've read.

I am attending a regular community college in the greater Los Angeles area in Orange county which for BAH falls under the L.A. area and thus, an E5 w/dep BAH is 2052 as per the post 9/11 GI Bill living stipend. : http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

type in my zip: 92661 and you will plainly see $2052.00. Actual ETS rank or dependent status has no effect on the living stipend. Whether you ETS a PFC or a SFC, you get the E5 w/Dep rate for your college. The key is to take classroom lecture instruction for at least a portion as fully online students receive a different set of benefits.

I know this is the case because of 1) the links I provided, 2) the VA Rep at my college, and 3) a friend from my days on Recruiting duty is living 4 miles away and has been receiving post 9/11 benefits since he converted his bennies from chapter 30 MGIB. He's presently CA NG and the post 9/11 is better for him than the NG bennies which historically have blown the MGIB out of the water.

I highly suggest you actually talk with the VA rep for education or call the number I provided earlier as it seems you are getting from highly erroneous information, possibly at the benefit of the command/reenlistment NCO.

Can't believe no one has suggested Homeland Security,specifically Border Patrol.
Also check into Federal Corrections.
If you want to be around DC might look into Secret Service.
DOE often is hiring.
Just food for thought,you have a lot of options.

re: BAMCIS's suggestion on Border Patrol: If you want to do it, get started now. The BG investigation takes forever to just initiate. I waited almost 8 months and still wasnt even called for an investigator to take my case. If you have any possible medical issues, that will delay the process as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it had to happen eventually. After being fortunate enough to have gotten selected and been a Sniper for the last 3 years it's all over. In the army we have have a shelf life unlike the Marines. You get to come in, do your time, go to school, maybe do a few deployments and then it's "Well you gotta go, career progression and all". I knew this day would come and after 3 years and 2 deployments in the section it's been a great ride. Now it's back to a regular Infantry platoon and the more I think about it the more I'm not looking forward to it. It's back to the bullshit, the guys you have to watch out for and the ones that just waste fucking air. So I guess it's just time to get out. Here's my question. What the hell do the rest of you do? I don't have any college or special skill. I came in as an infantryman and did the Sniper thing for a little while now I have under a year left. I'll be getting out with a little over 6 years in. The idea of being a cop isn't thrilling but I'm thinking that might be my only choice.... </div></div>

I would suggest using your college benefits and getting into a program at either a tech school or a college. Most tech schools are now offering an AA degree. That doesn't mean much by itself to go on in your career, but in most cases it means colleges are a lot more ready to take credits from that school if you want to go on and get your bachelors.

As far as putting up with the Army's bullshit...you're gonna do a bunch of that no matter where you go.