• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Long range shooting is a journey. Little did I know, as a young Marine recruited to Surveillance – Target Acquisition Platoon in 1986, that I would still be in this game some thirty-seven years later. That is how some journeys are. One doesn’t realize that a journey has been undertaken until time passes and you find you are traveling the same path.

The knowledge I acquired in that position was leading-edge for long range shooters of the time. My instructors and mentors were a mix of competitive shooters and military snipers. In those days the only shooters with any interest in ranges beyond short hunting ranges were of those two disciplines.

The Realization

IMG_3208-1440x1080.jpg

I thought I had it all figured out. The reality was I had acquired fundamentals and a small amount of knowledge, but had very little understanding...

Continue reading...

Full understanding of the Fundamentals is essential; As evidenced by more than a couple threads in the Forums lately. They are not just bullet points, as shooters we must live them.

When you are on the range, your attention is on the reticle-target relationship. Other shooters' attention is on YOU. Will you look professional? Or not...

Thanks for this article, Marc.
    While I am not, as of yet, a "long range shooter", I have been working diligently on my fundamentals in anticipation of attending your long range course in July.
    I look forward to meeting you and Frank then, hopefully I will learn something and won't make a fool of myself.

If you have been working "diligently" on fundamentals, you have markedly decreased your chances of making a fool of yourself.
    It would be foolish to proceed on this journey without addressing the fundamentals.

Taylor