• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Everyday Sniper Podcast: Marc and Frank Hunting Rifles In Alaska

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

Coming off our July Class in Alaska, I wanted to talk about hunting rifles. We see a lot of hunting rifles. Honestly, I am tired of companies repeating the same thing since 1958.

It's a simple fix that needs to be made at the manufacturer's level, you guys are the problem. Consumers will use what is available, and if you give them garbage, they will adapt with garbage training. If you give them a rifle they can shoot, they will use it.

Anyway, it was a soapbox moment that I think is easily fixed if people will just make the barrels a bit better.

But follow the AAR on the Alaska classes, and new classes listed, enjoy

Thanks for sharing, thanks for listening, and thanks for being a part of the Everyday Sniper Podcast

Great listen as always. For any skipping over it because the teaser text is all about hunting you are missing out. They discuss even more refinement to weaponized math.

• Love
    Reactions: Enough Said
    Weaponized Math is changing the world. One student at a time.
    I've attached a copy of the sheet we refer to in the Podcast.
    It reads like the range reads, near to far. That and the Drop exercise was the missing ingredient that turns on the light switch in the mind of the shooter with respect to learning home range data. Once you have mastered Home Range Data, everything else falls into place.

Enjoy.

Taylor

Attachments

• *WEAPONIZED MATH WORKSHEET .pdf
      83.4 KB · Views: 256
    Frank to Bergara:
    1658282953057.jpeg

• Haha
    Reactions: Enough Said
    Since we had this thin-barrel-light-rifle problem in Alaska July Cycle, I ordered in a Sako S20 Precision to take a look at and see if it would be suitable as a hunting / precision crossover for future suggestion to students coming to the course.

The S20 Precision is very ergonomic and the three-lug action is very smooth. The rifle has a "plastic" feel but a solid aluminum chassis underneath the smooth shell. Trigger is crisp and adjustable in every way, which is an excellent feature in Sako rifles. Vertical lift in the rear is generous to bring the shoulder pocket to the line of departure. M-Lok Pic rail, although not included, is attainable forward in order that a proper bipod can be affixed.

At under 7 lbs, threaded and fluted, I'd much rather see this rifle on the line than most of the others we've had problems with.

---Taylor

I'm over the light rifle bullshit. If I walked into a gym and picked up a 12lbs dumbbell and bitched about it being too heavy I would be considered a weak ass bitch. If enough fat asses complain about rifles being too heavy gun companies are falling all over themselves to make ridiculous rifles.
    Muzzle brake, Suppressor or not; a rifle too light will be pushed off target by the force of the firing pin fall.

Thanks for the episode guys!

I'm over the light rifle bullshit. If I walked into a gym and picked up a 12lbs dumbbell and bitched about it being too heavy I would be considered a weak ass bitch. ...
    The Light weight "mantra" for backcountry hiking,
    is all about what you are putting on your back.
    But its better to lose 10lbs and carry an extra 2 lbs of rifle.

I need to listen to the podcast. In the meantime, I have to agree about rifle weight. It has been a secondary concern, not a primary. By the time I get it dressed out and complete to be comfortable and accurate, it may 11 to 12 pounds, loaded. But comfortable and accurate. I would not enjoy the recoil from a Tikka light in .300 Win Mag. Even AB3 in .300 WSM is going to kick hard. So adding things to handle recoil, such hydraulic pads, slip ons and muzzle brake or can is going to add weight but the rifle will be a pleasure to shoot and to practice with.