• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The fit of the detachable mag into the magwell

uglychev

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2023
Washington
I'm retrofitting a Rem 700 with an older Seekins DM system with the 3.94" internal mag length.
The push button release lever tip is about 1/16-inch and is tapered. The little slot in the magazine is about 1/8-inch.
End result is that the magazine has a good 1/8-inch of verticle "loose play" in the magwell.

So, how do I fit the magwell into the stock ? Should the magazine ever contact the bottom of the receiver ?
The magazine needs to be high enough for the edge of the bolt to reach and push the cartridge.

I guess, ultimately, my question is: How deep do I set the magwell in the stock ?

Alternately, I could devise a way to tighten up the vertical loose play of the mag, maybe by building up material
on the release tab tip. Brazing, Devcon, JB weld ????
Or closing up the 1/8-inch slot in the mag ?

Please help !

The depth you cut the relief to is dictated by the interaction of the bolt face and cartridge.

If you don't cut enough, the magazine will not sit high enough, and the bolt will not pick up a cartridge.

If you cut too deep, the bolt will jam on the feed lips.

If you are new to this, go slowly. Checking a LOT of times.

Seekins DBMs came with pillars. The pillars are spacers for proper positioning of the bottom metal to the action bottom. Call Seekins and ask them for sizes. Badger style DBMs use 0.72" front and 1.07" rear pillars for M700s. Call Seekins and ask them. They'll have seen whatever you're trying to do a hundred times before and will put you on the correct path.

Thank you guys, appreciate it very much. I'll give Seekins a call.
They have not made these long DBM systems for a while evidently.