• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Grey (spoiler alert)

Okie Gordon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Movie comes out today.
Looks to be good entertainment.
Gonna take my heavy coat because it looks like freezing in the Arctic is a big part of the plot.

Hate to see wolves being portrayed as he "bad guys" cause they do an essential role in nature. Still wouldn't want it to be me that the are having for dinner.

In reality I suspect if there was a plane crash in the remote wilderness with wolves handy to the scene, they would be busy feeding on the dead at the plane for a month while the living treck to civilization.

Re: The Grey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like The Edge, with wolves. </div></div>

I suspect it will be quite a bit less of an intellectual reality based movie than The Edge (one of my favorite movies) and more of a nonstop action flick.
Just the one scene in the trailer where Liam tapes some broken bottles to his hands to act as claws tells me that cinematic licence takes precedence over reality. Personally, if I have a jagged brolen glass bottle and some tape, in a survival situation I am going to tape it onto a decent length pole to make a spear.

I never really cared for Liam Neeson until he did "Taken" then everything he did after that I have liked alot. I will most likely see this one next week

I just saw it.

If you guys, including the OP, want to know about it, including spoilers, then ask I guess(Mark the topic title "with spoilers" if you're curious before I start talking), but all I can say is that this movie has some survival bloopers that gave me a "WTF?" along with a Jackie Chan face.

Probably not, I will wait until it hits redbox, and then I'll get a 12 pack to coincide with it, and I will still be under $20.

I want the time I spent watching this crap back!
There was no good diologe and the whole movie just felt empty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want the time I spent watching this crap back!
There was no good diologe and the whole movie just felt empty. </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't gone to a movie in quite a while and thought I might use this flick to make my return to the theaters.... Guess I'm still waiting.

This movie COULD have been more. Consider how much more interesting it would have been if they stayed in one place, had to defend themselves against the wolves, and throw in maybe a grizzly or a polar bear as the final climax for the movie.

I'm pretty sure that this is an all around failing of the script itself, as I've noticed that the cut-scenes feel like they are geared towards an artistic approach to this movie, and it just seems to take away from the whole, 'man against nature', aspect of the survival movie genre.

I would recommend finding the cheapest way to rent this movie, if you really want to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like The Edge, with wolves.</div></div>

+1

I did go see it yesterday evening and and have to say that I was absolutely riveted in my seat during the entire movie.
On the other hand I went away with a feeling of depression rather than a feeling of being entertained.

Honestly it was either one of the better movies I have seen or one of the worst.
Even though the basic plot is similar to "The Edge" the movie went in a totally different direction.

If you go to the movie with the expectation that it is going to be about a group of guys who are tossed into a difficult survival situation and are expecting to spend the movie seeing how they overcome terrible odds to survive and get back home to hug and kiss their family, you shouldn't waste your money cause you will leave disappointed. I went to the movie with that expectation and was seriously disappointed in that respect.

In truth what you are going to see is a group of guys who, by some miracle, survive the crash of a big jet. Some people did not die outright but had serious injuries and you get to watch them die right along with the survivors. It feels like you are one of the survivors, injuries, freezing cold, and wind included. I huddled in my heavy coat for the rest of the movie because it felt so real.
You get to spend the next hour getting to know the guys and watching them die one at a time and it is a horrible feeling because you can't do anything change what is happening on the screen. If you enjoy that sort of movie you will get your money's worth and then some.

My guess is that the critics are going to like this movie because it is a very emotional action movie.
That is, except for animal rights critics who are probably up in arms over showing wolves as the bad guy just because they kill and eat people from time to time.
For me, it was too much a dose of depressing reality and not enough entertainment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did go see it yesterday evening and and have to say that I was absolutely riveted in my seat during the entire movie.</div></div>

I have heard "I was on the edge of my seat" and something like "His performance was riveting" but I've never heard the two combined haha. "I was riveted to my seat"... Is that a good thing?

Re: The Grey (spoiler alert)

Or maybe a killer rabbit
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The only thing that I can think of that I liked is the scenery. I thought the land was beautiful, but I'm not paying another dime for that movie.

I actually saw a trailer for it, different then the ones I had seen for it. This trailer turned out to actually match the movie in chronological events, and it just seemed to me to basically prove how much the movie sucked if they could basically give the entire 2 hour movie in a 2 minute trailer for the damn thing.

I spent two hours watching Liam Neeson pretend to be a survival expert/professional hunter, and end up leading everyone to their death and stupidly into the wolf's den, when in retrospect, if they had stayed at the crash site(which one of the survivors complains about and is chastised for it), they probably would have survived, having a defensible position against the wolves, and being near the crash site, which would have been easier to spot for a rescue, also with the fact that they had a watch broadcasting an emergency distress signal that could have done a better job if they had stayed in one place.

Why did Liam Neeson's character decide to lead, move, and push the survivors on this journey toward their eventual death? He was having flashbacks of his dead wife, and was using what she said incorrectly as an excuse to do this.

This movie sucked, and I regret not asking for my money back.

Also, to give you an idea of how poor the script writers, and the director thought this out. He gets submerged and soaking wet in one scene where he jumps a river, in order to save the last other survivor. The guy dies by getting stuck on a rock, and drowning, and Liam's character just walks out of the river, soaking wet, like nothing happened, and sits down on the snow, like nothing happened at all. No severe hypothermia, and no sign that his body is shutting down to preserve, and conserve body heat, and energy. The most he did was remove some clothes and try to start a fire, then the final scene happens, and suddenly he's okay.

I'd hate to be a dick, but after watching this, and feeling like I got pissed and shit on(probably by a wolf no less), I'm a firm believer in piracy now. At least for this turd, but hell, like I said you don't even need to pirate it or download it illegally. Just that one trailer is all you need to watch, and that's basically the movie right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saw it... not a spoiler but make sure you all stay until the end of the credits. </div></div>

so what happens? I left during the credits

After watching the previews I have no desire to see this film, same goes for 'man on the ledge'.

Just got back as well from watching it. Not impressed. As stated above, there are some survival scenes, that if anyone follows, will be desyurbed for life. My .02.

Saw it opening night. Shoulda stayed at Happy Hour. The Grey SUCKS!

I must not be a great movie critic. I actually enjoyed the movie. The last movie I have been to see was Moneyball so I don't get to the movies much (have a 1-yr old.)

I didn't go expecting this movie to be on par with classics like Braveheart and The Patriot. It lived up to my expectations.

I really enjoyed it, till the end. They got me all psyched up, he's wrapping the bottles and knife in his hand...

I literally almost said aloud, "Yeah! Now go kill that fucker! "

and cut to black...

I couldn't believe it. Most anti-climactic ending ever. I stayed through the credits hoping for more. Even that bit at the end felt disappointing.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saw it... not a spoiler but make sure you all stay until the end of the credits. </div></div>

so what happens? I left during the credits </div></div>

SPOILER ALERT!!!

At the end of the credits you see the wolf laying on it's side breathing slowly as it expires, just like the wolf Liam shot at the beginning of the movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saw it... not a spoiler but make sure you all stay until the end of the credits. </div></div>

so what happens? I left during the credits </div></div>

SPOILER ALERT!!!

At the end of the credits you see the wolf laying on it's side breathing slowly as it expires, just like the wolf Liam shot at the beginning of the movie. </div></div>

With his head resting on top of it...

Saw it last night with the wife. I was set for being disappointed by all of the comments on here. However, I liked the movie. It was entertaining and it is worth a rental on video. Based on all of the crap that Hollywood has been putting out, it is the first movie we have been to in a long time.

Its a good movie. Some of the movie is just like "what the hell" but you begin to like the guys and hope they make it.

The land is beautiful and I actually know some of the guys that work on the pipelines up there! My place is by the pipeline. Seeing the movie makes me even more excited about returning to alaska!

Great movie and although the ending was really dramatic and they cut a lot of scenes from the trailer, I thought it was a decent film.

I thought it was terrible. Poorly acted, unrealistic dialog, the actions of the guys on the ground were idiotic and not anything close to what a professional hunter who you would think would have some survival experience would do.

All in all, one of the most disappointing movies I have seen in a long time.

The average high school kid where I'm from would do better on the ground up there than these yahoos.

This movie had to be written by someone who had never stepped off concrete.

I enjoyed it for it being a movie and entertainment, nothing more. Worth the 6 bucks I paid.

Just got back from it. I have to agree alot of idiotic survival points and just not enough attention to detail of them surviving instead it portrayed the wolves as sociopaths that were hungry for blood. I just didn't see the wolves attacking that often or as the movie portrayed it. Not saying i don't think they would attack you. Maybe someone with more knowledge on it could comment. CGIing the wolves kind of sucked too. Liam's acting was great as usual, if it would've focused more on his past and why he was depressed it would've been ten times better. At the beginning and towards the end he was great. The mid way through was just kind of boring and predictable. The best parts IMO were flashbacks of Liam's character coupled with the score from Marc Streitenfeld.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3nUK5xoESs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3nUK5xoESs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I thought the poem was pretty awesome too.

Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

Come to think of it, the movie really isn't geared towards a realistic survivalist settings. It's more or less about a depressed man's journey to find peace and let go. Sure the situation their stuck in is a man vs nature one but the movie doesn't do a very good job at painting that picture and by the end i felt it was meant to be something else.

All in all pretty good, mainly cause of Liam. Hell they had Bradley Cooper to play Liams part, movie would've really sucked then.

The ending sucked! The rest was just OK. Just too far fetched for me that those wolves would act like that, but hell what do I know I live in Texas....

I agree about the wolves but i liked the ending. I mean we know the result of what the final outcome is of Neeson's character. He's going to die it's inevitable whether he survives the fight with the alpha wolf or not. Thats part of it though, him coming to peace with the realization that he isn't going to make it.

Come to think of it i wonder how hard it was for Liam to act out the scenes of mourning/remembering his wife, considering he did actually lose his wife a couple of years back. Almost makes you wonder whether he's acting or it's real.

I liked it, the ending too. (although I didn't wait for the end of the credits) Glaring errors and all. Running from a pursuit predator? Directors intent to show that we resort to our basic instincts in life and death situations? It's hollywood.

Shotgun shells? I never saw a scattergun, just a Rem 700.

I did think that Neeson must have found this cathartic after losing his wife in real life. Character study must have been a snap.

The scene after the credits is maybe 5 seconds long? Idk but it took forever it seemed for the credits to end. Wasn't worth sitting there IMO.

"Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I’ll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day"

Liked it, and the ending, what did I miss after the credits?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just watched it, seemed like a copy of The Edge except with wolves instead of a bear. </div></div>

Something to that effect only the lead actor had a "particular set of skills" that Anthony Hopkins didn't.