• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Hobbit

Re: The Hobbit

You can see it in 3D in front of "Tin Tin" in the States. But next year the trick will be seeing it in 3D @ 48fps.

And we're pretty much done with the first film. Here's the latest production diary where you can see some of the post production process...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vqyzHwnEiY&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vqyzHwnEiY&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Both my kids are planning their whole next few months around the release date of this moving, getting costumes ready and generally freaking out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mt Al</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both my kids are planning their whole next few months around the release date of this moving, getting costumes ready and generally freaking out.</div></div>

It might be a bit much for kids under 6 or 7 as there are some scary parts and plenty of violence (hacking and stabbing, but no gratuitous blood). I think it'll make a PG rating.

You will be able to see the film in different formats, but the highest quality will be 48 frames-per-second in 3D with Dolby Atmos sound. This is twice the normal playback speed and while it takes a bit to get used to, it makes the 3D work SO much better. Far more comfortable on the eyes and even more immersive.

Check this list for a theater near you playing it in its full glory...
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/...ax-dolby-atmos/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mt Al</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both my kids are planning their whole next few months around the release date of this moving, getting costumes ready and generally freaking out.</div></div>

It might be a bit much for kids under 6 or 7 as there are some scary parts and plenty of violence (hacking and stabbing, but no gratuitous blood). I think it'll make a PG rating.

You will be able to see the film in different formats, but the highest quality will be 48 frames-per-second in 3D with Dolby Atmos sound. This is twice the normal playback speed and while it takes a bit to get used to, it makes the 3D work SO much better. Far more comfortable on the eyes and even more immersive.

Check this list for a theater near you playing it in its full glory...
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/...ax-dolby-atmos/ </div></div>

I swore not to watch anymore films in 3D as the experience just didn't live up to the hype. However, if Dogtown says the faster frame rate works well in 3D, I may try it again. I can't wait to see this one. I've got great memories of going with my family to see the LOTR trilogy during the holiday movie season (and my dad snoring after the fellowship of the nine emerged from Moria!). Good times.

Yes, most 3D films are shot in 2D and post-converted into 3D in a way that can be very crappy. It's difficult to explain why this process can be so problematic, but there's a reason "Avatar" in 3D was so immersive: because it was shot in 3D. Still, even well executed 3D @ 24fps has problems, especially with quick-moving scenes because there's literally not enough information getting to your brain. With 48fps, it's twice the information and as a 3D experience it's almost akin to the difference between television's NTSC resolution compared to HD. Remember how amazing that shift was?

But if you're really against 3D, you can still see "The Hobbit" films in traditional 2D @ 24fps.

trolls.jpg

It's premiere day here in Wellington and the trolls are already out.

Don't be too disappointed - there's a lot of detail now spread across all three films.

What's up with all these people getting sick watching the movie....?

Some people are having a hard time dealing with the faster frame rate.

Behind the scenes details...
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fC5gk9qFsDE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fC5gk9qFsDE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

This is me waiting patiently for The Silmarillion. Make it rated R, please.

I will check out The Hobbit, though. Thanks for posting your insights, Dogtown.

The new frame rate is a different experience, and not everyones brain takes it in well. Sort of like when you play a first-person-shooter game for the first time you might get a little out of sorts.

As teams, we meet up every morning to go over the progress on our shots and review everything in one of the screening rooms. The first time I went to one of these sessions for "The Hobbit", my brain was so not prepared for the 48fps playback that my first instinct was "ah crap, it's stuck on fast forward!" But then I realized that everything was moving properly but really, really smoothly.

Hey guys, so I got to see another screening but this time in 2D @ 24fps. I think in a <span style="font-style: italic">majority</span> of cases this is actually what you'll want to see. I know, I sang the praises of 3D @ 48fps, which is pretty amazing and something worth experiencing, but the movie gets a much more classic feel from the 2D @ 24fps format. You can sit back and really enjoy the slow build of the story and action without getting ripped out of your seat in both a good and bad way. 3D @ 48fps makes the wide sweeping outdoor shots just look breathtaking as well as the slow motion shots, but other times it can pop you out of the film or just assault your senses.

3D @ 48fps for the experience

2D @ 24fps for the story

Can't wait for this

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G0k3kHtyoqc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G0k3kHtyoqc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You guys might find this cheatsheet handy...

flowchart.png

i'm glad they are making it 3 movies incorporating the Similarian. Good movies that cut out alot of detail leave you wanting. And it's alot easier for them to do it all at one time rather than getting approval to do it at a later time. Costs are much lower and make it more likely for the execs to approve the project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And it's alot easier for them to do it all at one time rather than getting approval to do it at a later time. Costs are much lower and make it more likely for the execs to approve the project.</div></div>

Yes, it's easier to do all of the principal photography for 3 movies over one big shoot (Hobbit was 267 days, IIRC) and spread the post production into 3 separate year long sessions. However, it's actually a bigger gamble because you're committing to 3 movies right off the bat. For these films alone, the movie studios are looking at $500 million dollars and what if the first one bombs? Movie making is a very big, expensive gamble and thankfully in this case the studios weren't so risk averse because LOTR was so successful.

Im seeing it at a sneak peak thing tomorrow afternoon... 3D 48fps... not really a fan of the series but it will be interesting to see the technical aspects of it. I shoot on a Red Epic, the same camera these films are shot with, so Im curious to see how well it holds up at 48fps...

2D for me the first time, then seeing it in HFR. I don't want anything to potentially ruin it for me. Also, FUCK midnight premieres for movies I actually care about.

Someone on the east coast could just now be sitting down to a midnight showing???

Reviews seem mixed a lot of fans love it, critics have been giving it a pretty hard time.

The prologue that starts the film was only added at the last minute and is the only part I worked on. The film has a slow start for sure but builds nicely to where the last hour is just non-stop action with an awesome climax. Like "Fellowship", this one really just sets the rest of the films up and expect a lot of action next year with "The Desolation of Smaug".

One last vlog from PJ:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98046

By the way, the one sad bit about all of this is that the main visual effects producer for the film, Eileen Moran, died from ovarian cancer a couple days after the premiere. She was too sick to attend but they were able to show her the completed film in the hospital the day before she died. She'd weathered the storm throughout the production and had been in and out of the hospital for treatment, but sadly took a turn for the worst as the film was nearing completion.

Got back from seeing it a while ago. I wanted to see a movie tonight, just to get My mind off today's events. It was a choice between The Hobbit, and Skyfall. The next showing of Skyfall was an hour away, when I finally finished eating, and ambled over to the theater. The Hobbit was only a 15 minute wait.

I wasn't expecting much. Read the book as a kid, but I didn't remember any of it. The Movie did exactly what I wanted. The outside world didn't exist for over 2 hours. Can't ask much more than that.

I almost feel I should thank the folks for making it. I liked it that Much. My 13 bucks will have to do, though. I'll probably go see it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got back from seeing it a while ago. I wanted to see a movie tonight, just to get My mind off today's events. It was a choice between The Hobbit, and Skyfall. The next showing of Skyfall was an hour away, when I finally finished eating, and ambled over to the theater. The Hobbit was only a 15 minute wait.

I wasn't expecting much. Read the book as a kid, but I didn't remember any of it. The Movie did exactly what I wanted. The outside world didn't exist for over 2 hours. Can't ask much more than that.

I almost feel I should thank the folks for making it. I liked it that Much. My 13 bucks will have to do, though. I'll probably go see it again. </div></div>

You watch it in 3D? Never seen a movie in 3D. Don't know if I would like it or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got back from seeing it a while ago. I wanted to see a movie tonight, just to get My mind off today's events. It was a choice between The Hobbit, and Skyfall. The next showing of Skyfall was an hour away, when I finally finished eating, and ambled over to the theater. The Hobbit was only a 15 minute wait.

I almost feel I should thank the folks for making it. I liked it that Much. My 13 bucks will have to do, though. I'll probably go see it again. </div></div>

You watch it in 3D? Never seen a movie in 3D. Don't know if I would like it or not. </div></div> Yes. I liked the 3d stuff. It was very cool. I didn't have the issues some people talk about. Nausea and such. Even the little birds and such were cool. The big birds, were awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The big birds, were awesome.</div></div>

My favorite moment, by far!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The big birds, were awesome.</div></div>

My favorite moment, by far!</div></div> The detail was amazing!

I saw it in the High Frame Rate 3D and that pretty much fixes the problems the old 3D had.

It is a bit different in that format as you feel much more like you are actually there in the action rather that watching some flat painting on a screen play out.

Sort of like how it feels watching Opera vs a movie.

The movie was excellently done and I enjoyed the slower paced setting, they took their time to flesh out all the side stories, so you get to see it all now, rather than having to wait for an extended edition on DVD later.

Here's a pretty detailed article about the visual effects work on the film, with lots of before/after clips...

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-hobbit-weta/

Of course, the focus is always on creatures and they hardly talk about the FX work we did (fire, smoke, waterfalls, etc).

My brother saw it and said it was good. I'll probably go to the 11am showing on monday or tuesday; I never go on opening night/weekend anymore

I must say, this was one of the first movies of the year that I thought did not disappoint in one way or another. Skyfall, the new Bourne and every other one I was looking forward to just seemed like somewhat of a let down. Ironically, two I didn't have great expectations for were 21 Jump Street and Avengers and they were both very good. Not that those others were terrible, just not what I was hoping I guess. Luckily, the same cannot be said for the Hobbit. Close enough for big fans of the books, and well adapted to movie format so non-nerds can enjoy! I was a bit worried how they were going to break it up into 3 movies, but I must say I was extremely impressed.

I was glad that they added a bit to the story to make the first movie interesting. Even the parts that weren't in the book felt "Tolkein-ish" like Gandalf lighting the flaming pine cones.

Even if you're not a huge LOTR fan, if you like a good story and a distraction from life for a few hours you will enjoy this. Already excited for "The Desolation of Smaug."

I saw the movie yesterday with my wife and really liked it. I haven't spent that long in the theater in a very long time, but the movie was worth it. The back story on the dwarves of Erebor and the elves was excellent. The story wasn't rushed at all, and Gandalf was his usual badass self. Excellent holiday season movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IThe back story on the dwarves of Erebor and the elves was excellent. </div></div>

That prologue sequence was a last minute addition to the film, pulling people off of other shows to help crunch through those shots before the deadline. The "sea of gold" with Smaug interacting was by far one of the most technically challenging aspects of it, with lots of custom rigid body simulation software being modified to handle the sheer number of pieces interacting at that scale. The smoke pouring out of Erebor was my task, and while not as difficult as the millions of gold pieces, I did have to run my sims on a pair of very expensive servers each with 64 cores and 256GB RAM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IThe back story on the dwarves of Erebor and the elves was excellent. </div></div>

That prologue sequence was a last minute addition to the film, pulling people off of other shows to help crunch through those shots before the deadline. The "sea of gold" with Smaug interacting was by far one of the most technically challenging aspects of it, with lots of custom rigid body simulation software being modified to handle the sheer number of pieces interacting at that scale. The smoke pouring out of Erebor was my task, and while not as difficult as the millions of gold pieces, I did have to run my sims on a pair of very expensive servers each with 64 cores and 256GB RAM.</div></div> Holy carp! 256GB RAM! That would be a hell of a gaming box.