• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The importance of keeping LOT# data

pawprint2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Ammunition lot numbers aren't just for manufacturers records (production and tax) but are an important tool to the shooter. 22lr shooters have for years known of the importance of lot numbers, as have many High Power Rifle shooters. I just saw a data book that didn't even have a blank for lot numbers! For those of you that don't know, often (very often) different lots of ammo have different characteristics! The same goes for lots of smokeless powder, primers, cases and bullets. Good record keeping is an extremely valuable tool, the longer you're at it (the shooting sports) the more value you'll place in all the records you've kept. Do yourself a favor and keep those lot numbers! Someday you'll be glad you did.

I understand this quite well. I haven't been at this too long ( couple years) but have learnt two things:

1). Don't do things half arsed. Make sure everything is right or you'll leave with more questions than answers.

2). Tracking info and data is key. I consider shooting not just shooting but information gathering. I'm still in the learning phase but I think that never ends.

With that said, do many people mix large quantities of powder to create a hybridized lot? For powders like varget where some think lot to lot changes are significant, wouldn't blending a large quantity (8-16lb) be beneficial for load development and lb to lb consistency?

Agreed. Competitive 22lr shooters were on to something when they first started buying multiple cases of specific lots because they found what worked best for their setup. I'm sure others do it as well, but it's definitely good info to have.

I understand this quite well. I haven't been at this too long ( couple years) but have learnt two things:

1). Don't do things half arsed. Make sure everything is right or you'll leave with more questions than answers.

2). Tracking info and data is key. I consider shooting not just shooting but information gathering. I'm still in the learning phase but I think that never ends.

With that said, do many people mix large quantities of powder to create a hybridized lot? For powders like varget where some think lot to lot changes are significant, wouldn't blending a large quantity (8-16lb) be beneficial for load development and lb to lb consistency?

If I have just a bit of powder left from one lot (not enough for a 50 round batch), I'll mix it into the next 8lb jug. It's not enough to make a significant difference in properties of the overall jug, but I feel better that I'm not wasting an eighth pound of powder.

Admittedly, I'm not very good at tracking my lot numbers. I created an entry location in my load book, but I hardly ever fill it out anymore. I try to buy in bulk when possible, and by the time I finish off a lot of powder or bullets, it's impossible to find that same lot again. I just modify my load to reflect the new lot, then carry on. I've not noticed any significant lot to lot variation on primers, but bullets and powder definitely exhibit lot to lot variations. My current batch of H4350 is 40fps slower than my last batch.

im with temp9. by the time your done shooting your components up that lot number will more then likely be gone anyhow. even testing small batches of lots can be troublesome for many. buy as big of a lot of anything as you can and tweak your load to bring it back into the node if you get another lot of components. theres little else you can do.

This is a good idea, I've seen quite a difference in lots of H4350 in speed. As this has become a very popular powder I would recommend starting a little low when starting a new lot.

R

Maybe this is a stupid question. I have been shooting and reloading for years (mostly bulk pistol reloads) but I'm just now starting to load for precision. I understand the different characteristics that different lot numbers can have. My question is, if you go to buy more components and have to buy from a different lot number what does that do for you other than knowing that your load may change? Or is it just that, knowing that it will be different and confirming all of your data before shooting for record again? Thanks in advance

Some lot #s are known to be almost identical, some are also known to have quite a large variation. When you are able to purchase components with lot#s that have given you good performance, or those that are known to be very similar to your "standard", the time spent re-working a load is greatly reduced. Recalls are by way of lot #s. When you get a new lot, let's say powder for example, and you find you need to Increase you load data, this info will translate to all the other loads you make with this powder. This practice will decrease you load development time, and help increase you safe loading practices. It only takes a few seconds to record the numbers, but can save you hours in the future. The same holds true for the other components. Some lot's of primers are hotter than others, knowing this in advance, because you have taken a few seconds to record your lot numbers, again can save you time, weapon wear, range time when you start to tweak your new loads. Buying 22lr, is self explanatory, some lots shoot better out some guns than others, one way to maximize your firearms potential is to test lots, and then purchase from that lot that delivers. This has been a common practice among match 22lr shooters for many years. We all are living in a time when components are hard to get, you may not be able to purchase by lot (because in many cases you're just glad to get the product), but taking a few seconds now you'll still have all your data. Some time in the future (hopefully) we will be more in a buyers than a sellers market. I predict that within 3 months powder will become far easier to find, other components to follow. Just because things are hard to find now, is not a good reason to stop taking a few seconds and record your lot numbers now. It's not about buying more than you need, but keeping tack of what a given lot does for your loads, in your weapons.

Last edited:
Ok that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I guess I was thinking the lot #s changed too often to even bother, other than realizing that one is different from the other.

Some lot #s are known to be almost identical, some are also known to have quite a large variation. When you are able to purchase components with lot#s that have given you good performance, or those that are known to be very similar to your "standard", the time spent re-working a load is greatly reduced. Recalls are by way of lot #s. When you get a new lot, let's say powder for example, and you find you need to Increase you load data, this info will translate to all the other loads you make with this powder. This practice will decrease you load development time, and help increase you safe loading practices. It only takes a few seconds to record the numbers, but can save you hours in the future. The same holds true for the other components. Some lot's of primers are hotter than others, knowing this in advance, because you have taken a few seconds to record your lot numbers, again can save you time, weapon wear, range time when you start to tweak your new loads. Buying 22lr, is self explanatory, some lots shoot better out some guns than others, one way to maximize your firearms potential is to test lots, and then purchase from that lot that delivers. This has been a common practice among match 22lr shooters for many years. We all are living in a time when components are hard to get, you may not be able to purchase by lot (because in many cases you're just glad to get the product), but taking a few seconds now you'll still have all your data. Some time in the future (hopefully) we will be more in a buyers than a sellers market. I predict that within 3 months powder will become far easier to find, other components to follow. Just because things are hard to find now, is not a good reason to stop taking a few seconds and record your lot numbers now. It's not about buying more than you need, but keeping tack of what a given lot does for your loads, in your weapons.

I'm still a bit confused with your end goal. Are you saying you can purchase a lot # of powder, then several months later, find the same lot? I, for one, have never been able to find the same lot of a component for more than a month or so before it all gets bought up and replaced with another lot.

I see what you're saying about variations from lot to lot, however, simply knowing when you are changing lots is enough to know to rework the load. And knowing whether a lot # is changing is as simple as comparing the old bottle # to the new bottle #.

No offense intended, I just don't quite understand what the benefit of knowing the lot number is, if you can't find that lot later. I'm all ears if your willing to explain it to someone as slow as I am.

Temp, that's exactly what I was wondering. I was WAY too tired to articulate any type of thought when I posted earlier lol

I'm still a bit confused with your end goal. Are you saying you can purchase a lot # of powder, then several months later, find the same lot? I, for one, have never been able to find the same lot of a component for more than a month or so before it all gets bought up and replaced with another lot.

I see what you're saying about variations from lot to lot, however, simply knowing when you are changing lots is enough to know to rework the load. And knowing whether a lot # is changing is as simple as comparing the old bottle # to the new bottle #.

No offense intended, I just don't quite understand what the benefit of knowing the lot number is, if you can't find that lot later. I'm all ears if your willing to explain it to someone as slow as I am.
Yes, I am saying that for many years you were able to find powder from the same lot. In the last few years, this has been anything but the case, however; not being able to purchase the same lot, is not the sole point of good record keeping, along with lot numbers. I can say from experience, the longer you load, the more components you will have, all of my reloading friends have large quantities of components. Keeping track of their [the components] performance will deliver more time on the range shooting, less time on the range developing a "new" load, and less wear and tear on your weapon. For example: You purchase powder xyz and develop a great load, this powders lot number is 12345, you then purchase xyz with a new lot number, the load changes by the need to reduce 1 grain, and as it goes for a while. One day you are able to buy some more xyz (because a shooting fool like yourself is out of powder again) new lot number, you start out by loading 5 rounds with your best load from one lot number and 5 from another lot number, you find that the new lot number is identical to lot number 12345, same velocity, same accuracy etc. While it is a new lot number, your load work is almost done and for any other caliber using this powder, or other rifle is almost done, as you have done it once before. For those that have only been loading a few years, and haven't been able to buy various components at will, but rather take what they can get I see why this is confusing. I've seen a lot of posts that start out with something like, "What's the best powder for xxx?", these guys aren't really exploring the possible loads for their rifle, but hoping to find one that works well enough, based on someone else's work. This has been due to the shortage of components. They don't have the luxury of trying 4-5 (or more) powders for example, because they don't have nor can they find to purchase. Just because a lot of guys are using Varget (good powder) does not mean in your rifle H335 won't deliver better performance. And in another rifle of the same caliber (let's say 223Rem), N540 may be better. It isn't uncommon, among those that have been loading for a long time, to try a number of powders-for specific load for each weapon they own. If you load ammo to store, and a recall comes out-always bases on lot#, how would you know if any of your loaded ammo was effected, as your old empty bottle was long gone? Now for those that load only one caliber, in small lots for one rifle, keeping lots numbers would still help in "Reworking loads", as time goes by, you may very well find a lot that is identical to an earlier lot, thus as before, saving your time on the range for shooting, not in front of a chrono, or working up new loads. Hope this helps. Remember it only takes a couple of seconds. For those that don't think they can ever benefit from keeping this data, don't do it! I believe for those that do, as time goes by, they'll be glad they did.

Last edited:
i just load a specific powder and shoot. If it does not hit where i had intended, i make adjustments and roll with it. Seldom ever get matching numbers other than what I purchase at one time. So if you don't get the same result between two lot numbers what is the cause of the issue: lot number of powder, grain differential between bullets, seating issues, case prep, current elevation, temperature, humidity, number of shots, shooting form issues..etc. Trying to figure out .1 or .2 grain differentials between lots seems like a lot of work for questionable returns. JMHO

i just load a specific powder and shoot. If it does not hit where i had intended, i make adjustments and roll with it. Seldom ever get matching numbers other than what I purchase at one time. So if you don't get the same result between two lot numbers what is the cause of the issue: lot number of powder, grain differential between bullets, seating issues, case prep, current elevation, temperature, humidity, number of shots, shooting form issues..etc. Trying to figure out .1 or .2 grain differentials between lots seems like a lot of work for questionable returns. JMHO
In your case, your loading technique etc. keeping lot numbers for future reference would not be of any value.

Has anyone ever gotten information from ammo or component manufacturers as to what a particular lot number really encompasses? In other industries such as automotive and food manufacturing, there are some pretty significant variations from one manufacturer to another in lot numbering philosophy.

Recording lot numbers isn't a bad idea as it's good to know when things change, but don't count on being able to replicate a prior load (especially when not turning over components on a frequent basis; some of my less-used powders might get purchased at a rate of one pound every several years, in which case it'd be nearly impossible to expect that a recipe be exactly duplicated).

Sounds like an exercise in futility to me. If you change powder or primer lots, drop down a grain and rework to make sure its still safe. The shoot the piss out of it. Knowing lot numbers will not tell you how much you need to adjust, your gun and range time will. That's why we(reloaders worried about precision or lazy in my case) buy in bulk so the frequency that we have to rework loads is reduced. Here lately this is more important than ever, Ive personally seen varget, H4350 and H110 vary by 15% in speed. Like one of the posters above with H4350(it now has a black background instead of blue on the label) losing 40fps with the latest lot, that could've been the other way and be enough to have real problems were. Keeping track of lot numbers would do nothing to alleviate that problem, time on the range and good reloading practices will though.